• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent bore guide recommendations

Qwkcrss

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2020
Im looking for a decent bore guide for my new tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. I currently have a Dewey rod for my 17hmr that I would clean without a guide. Would the 17 rod work on the 6.5 without issues or should I get a dedicated 6.5 rod as well?

I tried contacting Lucas to purchase another bore guide but he never returned my email. I went with a Possum Hollow. It’s inexpensive and works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qwkcrss
I use a blossom hollow and a 22 cal rod. Don't clean anything smaller than 22 so that works out. The rod gets a little bend in it if I try to stuff too much patch in, but anything sized right works just fine.

I really like the Bore Tech guides along with most other things they sell. I've not had any bad experiences with any of their products and everything seems to do what they should.

I thought mike.lucas stopped making boreguides last year or something? Thought there was multiple threads about it 🤔?

I ended up going with boretech for mine and its been working great 👍

I thought mike.lucas stopped making boreguides last year or something? Thought there was multiple threads about it 🤔?

Pretty sure of that as well.
Have Boretech for everything. It's a one stop shop.

I read the same threads and found one that gave updated contact info with the required information. I contacted him and sent the money and had a Mike Lucas boreguide for my RPR .243 in two weeks. Best boreguide I've owned. This was about two years ago. I think someone started these rumors about him going out of business to cause trouble.

I have some Lucas bore guides, but have moved on to the bore tech ones. Got tired of buying specific bore guides for each specific rifle and chambering I have, the bore tech ones are pretty versatile.

Functionally, they are both going to protect your chamber while cleaning, but the bore tech will save you money in the long run.

For rods, I've moved away from coated rods (the coating can easily peel off) and on to proshot polished stainless steel rods. They are awesome.

I tried contacting Lucas to purchase another bore guide but he never returned my email. I went with a Possum Hollow. It’s inexpensive and works.
Strange, but he might be busy. Purchased one from him last month. Responded fairly quick. Best bore guide I've purchased.

I was going to suggest that you don't need a bore guide, you just need to stick it straight in. But forum decorum prevented me from posting such a ridiculous opinion.

for those who are still confused about Mike L.... I purchased two guides: 6.5 cm and .308 for my new AI AT, In January of this year... he is definitely still in business and responds within at least two days to every one of my emails... he delivered the guides within two weeks of order and payment...

Mike Lucas [email protected] just e-mail Lucas, the best made. I would go with the proper rod for that caliber, Mike will cut the guide to fit the rod and it will work great.

Reactions: Tono
Not too long ago I ordered two Guides from Mike Lucas. Emailed him and he answered a couple questions for me and got me exactly what I needed

I'm very happy with my Boretech stuff incl their bore guide. First class stuff.

I have used the Lucas guide rods for some time now and they are great. I just ordered another one today so I know he is still in business. The only place I saw a picture of the guide rods was on the 6mmbr web site. Just google Lucas guide rods and it should come up.