• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent Optic mount for AR

alaskalanche

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
I am pretty new to the gas guns, but going to take the AR I have with a 1:9 5.56 barrel and will be swapping it to a 1:7 .224 Valkyrie in an attempt to make it more exciting for me. :) Anyways, I decided since I had a spare Bushnell LRST 3-12X44 laying around I would mount that on it, it currently just as a red dot optic on it.

Anyways, I likely won't be looking in the Spuhr price range on this setup but something and not cheesy either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I currently have Burris P.E.P.R, ADM, and Larue mounted on various AR's all are QD and all have been flawless.
The Burris is a very good mount if you plan on sticking with only one tube diameter and the other two you can buy different ring sizes so they are more versatile.
The machine work and finish on the ADM is probably the best of the three and you can get them in other than black if that's something that's important to you.

I decided to try a KDG Sidelok scope mount. I got a pretty good deal on it.

The machining is very good but the QD mechanism is what stands out.

They lock up solid, removal is pretty easy and they are very low profile, no levers hanging out of the side.

The rings are adjustable with I think five front ring positions and three at the rear.

One downside, they said a 20MOA base would become available but it doesn't exist yet.

Also, my 1.5-6x32 scope does not fit due to the short distance between the objective bell and the zoom ring. It's the scope's fault but some oddballs like that won't fit.

I'm sure it will fit with my Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44 that I'll be receiving in a couple weeks (GAP pre-order). I liked the QD so much I got a Sidelok riser for my Trijicon MRO and that's a really neat setup too.

I use an Aero Precision mount on a 16" 3 gun type rifle. I like it.

I have two nightforce unimounts and have no complaints. Not inexpensive, but not spuhr expensive.

American Defense QD. Works great, no noticable zero shift when removed to use rds (also on adm qd)

I use Badger Ordnance. They just don't disappoint, from 5.56 to .50BMG. I like the 1.5" high one piece mounts for AR's and the serialized steel rings for bolt guns.

I've tried a few over the years, and so far, the best one I have tried is the Geissele. Locks up tight, full confidence. Never tried the AAD but that one is solid too from the looks.

Bobro wins QD category, used around $200. If QD not important though you could save money and weight with something else.

Reactions: LG65CM
I'm using a Vortex 3 inch offset mount. I found the two inch to be a little too close in prone.

Bobro wins QD category, used around $200. If QD not important though you could save money and weight with something else.
I have a Bobro and a KDG Sidelok and while the quality of the Bobro is super nice, the KDG quality is nearly as nice and the QD function is nicer.

Just for shits and giggles while I was bored I tried to do eyes closed one handed QD and attach with my MRO on a Sidelok riser and it only took a minute or two to figure that out.

I don't think I could pull that off with my Bobro.

That might not be important to some people but the KDG Sidelok QD is slick.

I have a Bobro and a KDG Sidelok and while the quality of the Bobro is super nice, the KDG quality is nearly as nice and the QD function is nicer.

Just for shits and giggles while I was bored I tried to do eyes closed one handed QD and attach with my MRO on a Sidelok riser and it only took a minute or two to figure that out.

I don't think I could pull that off with my Bobro.

That might not be important to some people but the KDG Sidelok QD is slick.

The KDG looks nice! I haven't seen one before.

Thanks so much guys. I found a place selling NF unimount for less than $200.

Looking at the SKU:A192 30mm 1.375 high should be good enough for a 44MM objective I would think? And 20 MOA cause why not? :)

Thoughts?

That sounds a bit low for an AR.

I aim for around 1.5" from receiver rail top to optical centerline. It's not about objective clearance, it's about cheek weld over the buffer tube which is why the iron sights are so high on an AR.

It might work for you but test that height before you buy.

The Burris AR P.E.P.R. as cheaply made as it is, the height is good for the AR at 1.5" on the 1" tube model and 1.6" on the 30mm. If you can find one of those to test out, bring a couple pieces of 1/8" sponge rubber. With a 1" scope put 1 piece of sponge rubber over the stock/buffer tube to simulate 1.375" optic height. With a 30mm scope put two pieces over it to simulate 1.350" optic height. If either of those is comfortable and gets you in the eye box, go ahead and pull the trigger. If not, look for something taller.

Reactions: alaskalanche
Have few pices American Defense QD. Mount On AR10 AR15
Good quality ( material ) scope mount , it’s very important , strong material ( high quality aluminum or ~~~ ) so can dealing with when weather temperatures is very hot and very cold ~~~and many many rounds “ impact “

Dependability is #1 in my book when it comes to AR optics. I'm sorry but if my life is ever on the line and my rifle is being thrown around I don't want my optic sitting in a pepr or warne mount.

If I were to grab a rifle downstairs to defend myself with right now it will have an optic sitting in a NF, Badger, or Geissele mount.

Reactions: N-C
I wouldn’t be so hung up on QD either. Sure it’s ok to have but not necessary