• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent rangefinder on modest budget?

JeffBox

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2004
Middle GA
Hey guys, haven't been lurking here as much as I used to. I'm looking to get a rangefinder around $350 or less that will get me out to 800 yards or so. Does such a thing exist? What are some of the better budget rangefinders out there these days?

Re: Decent rangefinder on modest budget?

Newcon 7x40 binocular rangefinders,1500yd. They make the longer 2500, but the price is a lot more.

Fair amont of the 1500yd,ers on ebay for$250 - $300

I have 2 pair - very good for the price

After a lot of on line research I bought a Bushnell Pro 1M. It easily ranges my 1K flat white BR target. It will go out to the rated one mile on free way signs. Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell 1600 should do. </div></div>

This should work for you. Some places are including a mail in rebate with them so they total $199. Cabela's had it a while ago but not sure if they are still running that deal

EDIT: The model is the ARC 1000, not the 1600.

I am running a Bushnell 1500 which is nearly if not identical to the 1600, works good on hard reflective targets, I have got readings on steel out to 1380, not bad considering it was $175 when I got it.

Kirk R

I've got a Bushnell ARC 1000 that does just fine on white steel feeders out to 960ish.

Thanks for asking this question Jeff. I've been contemplating this same purchase myself and I am also on a budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely look at the new Bushnell's </div></div>

Are you referring to the G-force 1300? I've been looking at that one but havent found a whole lot of reviews on them yet. The specs look pretty good for the price point.

I bought an arc 1300. While the ballistic calculations are a bit gimmicky the angle finder and ranging appear to work very well. I can range tree lines to about 850 and hard objects to over 1000. I got over 1200 on a car on the highway. Bang for the buck can't be beat. For my needs of never shooting over 950 it was a steal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newcon 7x40 binocular rangefinders,1500yd. They make the longer 2500, but the price is a lot more.

Fair amont of the 1500yd,ers on ebay for$250 - $300

I have 2 pair - very good for the price </div></div>
grin.gif

I will have to check these out as I need something to range distance as well and having a dual purpose piece of equipment sounds very compelling!

I have a leica 1600 and love it. Cost about $650 a little costly.
The older leica 1200 can be found on ebay and gunbroker. Yes it is used but the quality is great these older models can be purchased for close to $350 and are worth it.

I dont have one of these but i have seen the "Halo" made by Wildgame Innovations mentioned alot lately by different sources. I think it runs around $100. Not sure if it has the elevation compensation feature or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: klyon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a leica 1600 and love it. Cost about $650 a little costly.
The older leica 1200 can be found on ebay and gunbroker. Yes it is used but the quality is great these older models can be purchased for close to $350 and are worth it. </div></div>

Definitely this!! Used Leica's better than cheap new stuff. They work, they're compact and...they work. What's not to love about a used Leica 800 or 1200? I've had a 1200 since they came out, use the crap out of it and it's a gem.

+1 on some of the used gear mentioned, both new & older. Put up a post in the WTB section, you'll get lots of offers. I picked up a used Leica, & it rocks.

These reviews aren't the most recent, though they are helpful 6mmbr.com rangefinder review & comparison
Sniper Country.com Leica LRF800 & LRF1200 reviews

Also, recently, there have been a few other members here in search of similar knowledge/advice, so if you do digging odds are you'll find more threads on this topic.

I picked up a used Zeiss PRF, very nice little tool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont have one of these but i have seen the "Halo" made by Wildgame Innovations mentioned alot lately by different sources. I think it runs around $100. Not sure if it has the elevation compensation feature or not. </div></div>

I could not get reliable readings from one of those past 150 yards last weekend. Even the readings I got were iffy and sparse.

I have a bushnell 1500 for sale in like new condition and right in your price range. PM if interested.

This one has been catching my eye on Amazon. And while I am not a compulsive camo addict, I do think this makes sense from a practical protection standpoint. And then; there's the $50 manufacturer's mail-in rebate.

Greg

I think vortex is a very good up and coming company with a good product but I am very cautious about trying new products that are almost the same price as the items I have been buying for years and are tried and true. (Leica, Leupold)

Thanks guys, looking around for a good deal on a Bushnell or used Leica.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JeffBox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, looking around for a good deal on a Bushnell or used Leica. </div></div>

Like I said, I have one Im getting rid of as I dont need 3. PM if your interested.

Thanks for the offers and PMs guys. Ended up finding a like new Leica Rangemaster LRF 900 Scan on eBay and got it for $308. Is this a decent deal? (Guess its too late now if it isn't haha!)