• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Decent scope for the long term...Suggestions?

No_style

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2007
Australia
Hi Guys,

I've just order my first two rifles, one is a .223 Savage 10FCP-K and the other is a .22LR Savage TR to train on. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on two things, mounting and optics.

The main purpose for both rifles is long range target shooting (relative to the caliber) and varminting.

Mounting:

I'm planning to fit these rifles (and any future ones) with some sort of high quality, but transferable mounting system, which seems to mean a rail system. Based on what I've learnt I'm chasing a Picatinny rail (which as I understand it is essentially a slightly beefed up weaver system, but with better defined dimensions and tolerances). I want to be able to transfer optics and so forth between rifles relatively easily, but be confident that once installed they're not going to move around under recoil (not really an issue with these cartridges, but maybe down the track), will the Picatinny rail achieve this?

Also, what brands are known for producing high quality mounting components and rings?

Optics:

I'm currently trying to work out the scoping options. I want to get a decent stuff that I can keep for a while, but my budget certainly isn't unlimited, it would really hurt, but I could stretch it to about $1200 US though my preference is for something a fair bit lower.

Another point to note, I live in Australia. Buying scopes locally is ludicrously expensive for Nightforce and Trijicon (read $3-5K AUD) and no US store (that I know of) will export either of these brands to Australia, so that pretty much rules them out. Come to think of it, ludicrously expensive sums up all the options here, so I want to capitalise on the currently good exchange rate and buy from the US.

Ideally I would like the scope and reticle to the same (or atleast very similar) on both rifles (otherwise its not really a trainer is it...).

Heres some of the features that I think I'm chasing:

Relatively low bottom end magnfication (4x to 6x at the most).
The best possible optical clarity in my price range.
Decent light gathering properties.
A ranging/holdover type reticle (so mildot or milrad etc).
FFP (though not essential).
Adjustable parallax.
Adjustable focus.
Easy to use turrets/controls.
Decent durability.
Significant range of internal travel (minimum ~70 MOA for elevation).
Lifetime manufacturer warranty (preferable).

So far based on a lot of interweb reading and trawling I've decided that in my price range, my best bets in terms of brands are Sightron, Vortex and Bushnell.

The Sightrons seem to be regarded as having excellent optics but possibly lower durability. The Vortex seems to be considered as almost equal in optics but with more features. Both apparently have excellent warranties. The Bushnell seems to be less well regarded with poorer optics but seems decent otherwise.

Of these I'm thinking about:

Sightron: (http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362)
SIII SS 6-24x50 LR MD
SIIB SS 4.5-14x44 MD
SIIB 4-16x42 MD
SIIB 6-24x42 MD
SIIB SS 6.5-20x50 MD

Vortex: (http://www.vortexoptics.com/ or http://www.vortextactical.com/)
Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP (EBR-1 MRad)
Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP (EBR-1 MRad)
Razor HD 5-20x50 (with EBR-2 or EBR-3)

Bushnell: (http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/...EDDC31A1C0&)
Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 Tactical
Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Tactical
Elite 4200 6-24x50 Tactical

If you can, use this place for pricing as I know they sell all these and ship to Australia (unless you know of somewhere better/cheaper):

Rifle Scopes Sale FREE UPS - Discount Riflescopes by Leupold, Swarovski, Nikon, Bushnell, Zeiss, Simmons, Burris, Trijicon, NightForce & Other Scopes

Some questions:
1. Is the 6500 worth buying over the 4200 in terms of optics? (i.e. brightness or clarity etc)
2. How do the Bushnell optics compare to the Sightrons?
3. How do the Vortex optics compare to the Sightrons?

Cheers for any help or experiences.

Re: Decent scope for the long term...Suggestions?

I have had good luck with SWFA Super Sniper

I think the Vortex line is the best on your list and agree with Chiller on the order of quality but if you wanted to go farther down the list then I would have to place Sightron SIII right after the Vortex scopes and place Bushnell at the bottom.
For the money Sighton makes some nice scopes but their target knobs are not the greatest (Too small) but they do come with covers to help keep your setting. The Sightron glass is great.
Good luck with your purchase.

I've just noticed that the Vortex scopes are, or atleast advertise, as being only coated on air to glass surfaces, as opposed to both Bushnell and Sightron's which are fully multicoated.

Is this something worth being bothered by or is there bugger all in it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Razor

followed by Vortex PST.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: No Style</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've just noticed that the Vortex scopes are, or atleast advertise, as being only coated on air to glass surfaces, as opposed to both Bushnell and Sightron's which are fully multicoated.

Is this something worth being bothered by or is there bugger all in it? </div></div>This is a common mis-conception. The only surfaces you can coat are air to glass surfaces as glass to glass surfaces must be cemented together therefore cannot be coated.

All of our scopes are fully multi-coated.Feel free to contact me if you would like more information on this.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the Vortex line is the best on your list and agree with Chiller on the order of quality but if you wanted to go farther down the list then I would have to place Sightron SIII right after the Vortex scopes and place Bushnell at the bottom.
For the money Sighton makes some nice scopes but their target knobs are not the greatest (Too small) but they do come with covers to help keep your setting. The Sightron glass is great.
Good luck with your purchase. </div></div>+1 with an emphasis on the Razor HD 5-20x50 (with EBR-2 or EBR-3).

I have 2 sightron scopes.

A SIIB 4.5-14x42 with HHR ret and a SIII SS 3.5-10x56 LR IR4A ret.

They have good glass and adjustments, but the HHR reticule at max power (14) covers up a 1MOA orange dot at 100yds.

The IR4A has a better thickness, but it is still thicker than a leupold or bushnell.

I don't know if the MD dots are smaller than the HHR dot, but I would suggest you look through one if you can.