• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Decent scope on PSL (Romanian SVD) - possible?

mouse07410

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
MA, USA
Is it possible to put a decent scope on PSL-54 (Romanian version of SVD) - and preferably above the bore rather than off-side? The "native" scope is not the best, and the "native" off-bore attachment isn't the best either...

Thanks!

Re: Decent scope on PSL (Romanian SVD) - possible?

Yukon makes a mount that will work for the rifle. As for a scope I would recommend a Leupold Mark4 2.5-8x36mm M2.

What price range are you looking for?

Mike @ CST

Just an FYI, a PSL, also known as a ROMAK is NOT a copy of the Dragunov.
Externally, it appears the same, but they are not.

The PSL uses a reinforced AK action and AK type trigger, the Dragunov is not an AK action and uses a different trigger assembly.

You might be able to find a scope mount that fits the rail on the PSL, but will accept a 1" or even a 30mm scope.
Your best bet would be to visit one of the dragunov/romak boards.
They are fine rifles for their intended purpose.
Personally, I would outfit it with the proper scope/mount combo to have an 'authentic" repro.
Try to locate some of the 7.62x54R match or sniper ammo. It will shoot much better, or reload. Just remember it is a .311 bore.
I think you will enjoy your rifle, it would be a very fine hunting rifle for animals up to elk (anything that is suitable for the .308 win). And will certainly be a hoot to shoot.

Mike,

I'm planning to retire my old Redfield from Remington 700 to ROMAK, and get something like PH 5-25x56 for the Remington gun instead.

I probably could live with this PSO scope on ROMAK - but I <span style="text-decoration: underline">abhor</span> the idea of a scope being off-side to the barrel, so that windage has to be corrected (by how much?!) every time I dial in some elevation. So I really want some <span style="text-decoration: underline">scope base</span> that would put a new scope directly above the barrel.

As for a new <span style="text-decoration: underline">scope</span> that I'm looking for (PH to be specific) - I've sent you an email and a PM on this board. Looking forward to a reply.
smile.gif

fdkay,

Yes I'm aware that instead of the true Dragunov action, Romanians took RPK (strictly speaking not AK - but design is the same) system and built an SVD clone on it. It may reduce the accuracy a little. Not of concern to me, at the moment at least.

I am not going to dump (as in "throw away" or "sell") the original scope (PSO). But for my shooting enjoyment I want a decent scope mounted in a sane way <span style="text-decoration: underline">above</span> the barrel, and with a more conventional reticle - say like Premier XR
smile.gif

What Dragunov or ROMAK boards did you have in mind? I noticed (so far
smile.gif
) only http://www.dragunov.net, and it didn't help me much with this issue.

I hate posting after myself, but some more research uncovered the following: Original BP-02 SVD/SKS Centered Side Mount to Weaver Rail and POSP/PSO (BP-02) SVD/SKS Centered Side Mount to Weaver Rail. Both seem to provide what I need - a Weaver or Picatinny rail centered above the barrel, upon which I can mount most any scope with the appropriate rings.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Mostly I'd like to know if the scope mounted on one of these is too high for use?

You could try The AK Files. There is a section for the SVD and Romak III (another name for the PSL). I looked at getting one a while back, and this site was very helpful.

the oem mount is only off set to the left about .5" Correctly zeroing the rifle would have you zero to be .5" left at all distances, which basically is nothing. I do not believe there are any 1/2 moa Romaks in existence (no matter what their owners say).

The original PSO1 scope (Russdian SVD scope)will fit and has excellent optics and repeatable adjustments, not to mention the excellent QD sidemount system. They can be had pretty cheap too.

You can check out Kalinka Optics also. They might have a PSO1.

dieselten,

Thanks for the initial offset information - it helps.

However Math disagrees with your statement about 0.5" POI shift <span style="text-decoration: underline">at all</span> distances. If the scope is offset left by 0.5" <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> the rifle is zeroed at 100m, then:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] at 200m it would hit 0.5" to the left (about 1.5cm);[*] at 600m it would hit 2.5" to the left (about 6.3cm);[*] at 1100m it would hit 5.0" to the left (about 12.5cm).[/list]
Now having done this simple math, I feel more comfortable - as I know what extra correction to dial in (if any).

I don't know how PSO and POSP scopes compare with Leupold, Nightforce and higher-ups (Premier, USO, etc), but it would be a good start.

And thanks for Kalinka Optics reference - it's a pretty good site:

POSP 3-9x42 (1P21) Zoom Tactical Weapon Rifle Scope, Universal Version

POSP 8x42 D w/ Black Finish, Independent... SVD/SKS Versio

PSO 6x36 Low Profile Illuminated Rifle S...SKS/SVD Version

i wouldnt invest to much in a scope for the psl. i have a bp-02 mount with a ss 10x in arms 22l low rings. it sits nice and low but when shooting there is all kinds of flex in the mount system. i have dings on the bottom of the objective from the recoil.
3512838835_ffb7067e2f_o.jpg

Turbosa22c - thank you for the hint! Perhaps I would be better off with a POSP scope, or maybe even the native LSP (PSO). I would positively hate spending bucks on a nice scope only to have it banged by the rifle's recoil.

And after those offset computations I do feel better. 12-13cm at 1100m distance isn't that bad, and I sure can accommodate for that.

regarding the .5" offset, it is constant. The scope is mounted dead straight/parallel to the bore, but approx. 1/2 inch to the left. This means if you do not add any cross windage it will always be 1/2 inch to the left.

dieselten, if you zero the scope to make Point Of Aim match Point Of Impact at 100 meters - the scope optical axis (lateral) will not stay parallel to the bore. Just like scope's vertical axis.

Though I agree with you - one can zero the scope with POA 0.5" to the left of POI at 100m to keep it parallel to the bore. In this case extra windage correction won't be necessary.

I am thinking that I am just going to throw a bushnell 3200 on there and let it eat. I have shot it some and I really enjoy it. It is just something that is different from what you see at the range every day.

Chris, I'm with you!
smile.gif

VSP, I hear ya.
smile.gif

Could you tell me how many rounds it usually took to get the barrel warm enough for MOR accuracy?

And I'd appreciate clues why this rifle performance deteriorates with barrel warm-up. AKM (of similar design, and I daresay similar quality) doesn't seem to suffer much from it... (I mean - yeah, every rifle starts behaving when barrel temperature reaches THAT point, but for some rifles that point seems to be somewhat low?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

VSP, I hear ya.
smile.gif

Could you tell me how many rounds it usually took to get the barrel warm enough for MOR accuracy?

And I'd appreciate clues why this rifle performance deteriorates with barrel warm-up. </div></div>

It all boils down to this:
A very skinny, very long hammer forged barrel on a lousy platform.
The high frustration level caused me to give up on it.

Look here: http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdispl...p;daysprune=365

So what in your opinion was the planned Concept of Employment for SVD, given that it doesn't like sustained fire? Occasional harassing sniper shots?

The Soviets have a completely different philosophy when it comes to their "snipers".
They are actually more of a designated marksman, They are to engage high value targets or targets of opportunity out to about 600 yards.
They have lots of them. They still use them like they did in WWII. It is very effective. Besides, most sharpshooters or snipers typically do not get into sustained fire type of encounters.
Remember this: Carlos Hathcock did the majority of his sniping with a Winchester model 70 hunting rifle.
If you get into a sustained fire event, the targets will be much closer (or else you would have displaced already) and the need for extreme accuracy will be considerably less.
The SVD is a very good rifle for its intended purpose, especially in an urban environment where the shots aren't more than a couple of hundred yards.
The XM21 was a much better system, but also much more expensive.

PSOP in 8x works great. As far as adjusting windage goes read the manual for the scope its covered pretty well. The reticle takes a little getting used to,because its not centered like western scope designs.
As far as feeding it. Cezch "silver tip" (147gr) will shoot better than the rifle will allow. DO NOT shoot "heavy ball"
(150 gr or above) out of the Romak III these rifles were built to shoot 147-149 gr bullets and the heavier recoil from "heavy ball" ammo beats the rifle to bits.
+1 for the AK forums Romak board lots of great info here!!

fdkay, thank you - I think I understand now how they meant to be used. Occasional precise shots - so the barrel doesn't have time to get hot and destroy the accuracy, and if/when the adversary gets close enough to require sustained fine - the reduced accuracy doesn't matter all that much.

Bullet Sponge - what manual do you mean? I know how to adjust windage on POSP scopes in general - what I'm missing is how much "scope-barrel axis misalignment" correction to dial in <span style="font-style: italic">in addition</span> to the normal wind correction. And that's what I did not see in the only (4-page) manual that I saw floating on the 'Net. Oh, and thanks for the ammo tip! I'll be sure to look up 147gr ammo.

I'll check the AK Forums.

Thanks!

Mouse
Go to Kalinka optics. They have all the manuals for the different scopes online. Or use the search on the AK "romak" board.

Let me repeat my question: <span style="text-decoration: underline">I know how to adjust windage</span> on POSP scopes in general - what I'm missing is how much "<span style="text-decoration: underline">scope-barrel axis misalignment</span>" correction to dial in <span style="text-decoration: underline">in addition</span> to the normal wind correction. Can you post a URL to the manual <span style="font-weight: bold">that answers this question</span>, or provide the answer yourself?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me repeat my question: <span style="text-decoration: underline">I know how to adjust windage</span> on POSP scopes in general - what I'm missing is how much "<span style="text-decoration: underline">scope-barrel axis misalignment</span>" correction to dial in <span style="text-decoration: underline">in addition</span> to the normal wind correction. Can you post a URL to the manual <span style="font-weight: bold">that answers this question</span>, or provide the answer yourself?

Thanks! </div></div>

That question is not addressed in any of the manuals. Probably because the rifles are not capable of enough accuracy to notice the very slight 1/2" linear mis-alignment. You do not need to adjust for this (in fact you probably can't). Remember, this is a fixed 1/2" linear correction NOT 1/2 MOA angular correction. You will be off 1/2" at 100 yards and 1/2" off at 1000 Yards (theoretically, because the rifle is nowhere near accurate enough to realize this).

Just zero it and shoot. Let the point of impact favor the right side of the aiming point if you are able.

Ah, we've been through this. If one <span style="text-decoration: underline">zeroes</span> the rifle (say at 100m) - then the <span style="text-decoration: underline">scope axis is not aligned with the barrel</span>, and the <span style="text-decoration: underline">offset is not linear</span>.

If one "zeroes" at 2.5cm to the left at 100m - then and only then the offset will be linear.

In both cases, I was advised by SVD gunsmiths (who I managed to contact since starting this thread
wink.gif
) that wind and precession will require more adjustment and care than this.
laugh.gif

If memory serves if you go up 1 click you go over 1 click. I will see if i can find a link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If memory serves if you go up 1 click you go over 1 click. I will see if i can find a link. </div></div>

Yeah, if you could please. What I'm seeing in the POSP manual, one windage click moves the POA by 10cm at 100m, 30cm at 300m. But no stated relationship between elevation and windage corrections. I'd say a "click per click" would be too drastic, in view of the following:

Bullet derivation (the offset in-flight due to yaw) compensates the scope offset to a large extent. From Andrew (gunsmith at Kalinka Optics):

Shooting distance, m Average POI offset, cm Derivation, cm Difference, cm
0 +2,5(right) 0 2,5
100 0 0 0
200 -2,5(left) 1 -1,5
300 -5 2 -3
400 -7,5 4 -3,5
500 -10 7 -3
600 -12,5 12 -0,5
700 -15 19 4
800 -17,5 29 11,5
900 -20 43 23

As you can see, the angle between scope and rifle axis is compensated by derivation at 600m (when the scope is zeroed at 100m). This is valid for SVD and POSP.

Um, what?

Why not just ZERO the impact to .5" right of your crosshairs?

Then that means your bullet travels parallel (equidistant .5" [and negligible] offset) to your sight at ALL distances.

Less math, more geometry.

Parallel lines =====================

Problem solved.

Did anyone ever tell you about the writing implement problem in the Russian and American space programs?

Americans made a radiation hardened, temperature resistant, vacuum resistant ball point pen.

Russians used a pencil.

A little common sense is an uncommon thing.

Mine is zeroed at 200, I haven't noticed any big difference because of the offset shooting steel with it out to 500. You have to keep in mind that even if it's off by 2" at say 600 it's also making a 10" group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dieselten,

Thanks for the initial offset information - it helps.

However Math disagrees with your statement about 0.5" POI shift <span style="text-decoration: underline">at all</span> distances. If the scope is offset left by 0.5" <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> the rifle is zeroed at 100m, then:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] at 200m it would hit 0.5" to the left (about 1.5cm);[*] at 600m it would hit 2.5" to the left (about 6.3cm);[*] at 1100m it would hit 5.0" to the left (about 12.5cm).[/list]

</div></div>

You are right, according to your math. If you completely zero your scope at 100m then you have a scope that will have a line of sight facing rightward.

So, don't completely zero your scope at 100m. You will need to zero 0.5 inch to the left to keep the horizontal line of sight and horizontal bullet path parallel. That way, assuming all other factors do not come into play like wind, spin drift, coriolis effect (if you try to shoot so far that it even matters
laugh.gif
) your point of aim will be 0.5 inches to the left of the center of the group at all distances.

Yes they say spin-drift has an impact with this rifle - maybe greater than with other rifles & ammo. And of course wind plays the greatest role.

Yes zeroing it a bit to the left may help.

Kalinka Optics is a good place to start to look for a scope for the PSL. I've never noticed any additional off set at range due to the scopes position. I also use Czech Silver tip in my PSL. The advise not to shoot heavy ball is a sound one.

Santo, I concur. I didn't like the moldy crusty beaten-up weak 4x scope that came with my PSL (not to mention that tritium was all gone
smile.gif
), so I bought 8x POSP (illuminated Dragunov range-finding reticle) from Kalinka Optics. Couldn't be happier - and the price is right.

I upgraded mine to the 8x PSOP.

People generally upgrade to US scopes for the extra durability. However, they're still mounted on the side, as the picture above shows.

BTW, I'm selling a 4X PSO. I'd take around $75 shipped if anybody wants it.

I considered putting a US scope on it - and decided it isn't worth it (price-wise, etc). Plus - POSP is a decent scope for what it's designed for. No point putting a high-end scope on SVD, and POSP easily stands its ground against low-end scopes sold in US (aka made in China).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbosa22c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wouldnt invest to much in a scope for the psl. i have a bp-02 mount with a ss 10x in arms 22l low rings. it sits nice and low but when shooting there is all kinds of flex in the mount system. i have dings on the bottom of the objective from the recoil.
</div></div>

Huge +1. I currently have a similar set up with above mount, TPS low rings and a WOTAC, but am thinking about going back to my earlier configurations with the IP21 or the fixed 8x PSO. Too much flex in the side mounts to bother with Western optics.
5380.jpg

5381.jpg