• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent trainer air rifle for kids

Delicatessen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Kansas
I was going to get my kids an air rifle to start them on soon. Does anyone know of a decent one that allows the length of pull to change with time for them? Most that I see are way to big for younger kids.

Yeah I am considering that because it’s a classic just seems a bit long for her now. Didn’t know if there was something with lop that was more adjustable.

They are cheap enough to chop off 1" sections of stock and glue them back in place as she gets bigger.

Red Ryders are fun, but more of a novelty. After the novelty wears off, the accuracy is much to be desired, and can be frustrating. Furthermore, those BBs ricochet... I would stick with .177 pellet air rifles.

I got my son hooked on air rifles with the Sig Sauer MPX and MCX semi auto air rifles, powered by 88gram CO2. Great plinkers, so-so accuracy, but loads of fun.

So I started my kids with a airsoft AR. Has all the same controls and are pretty accurate. Then moved them to a 22 bolt action. Now they shoot what they want. I built them a 22 charger pistol in a chassis with a red dot and they have alot of fun with that. So do I. They now have shot every firearm I own. Some are definitely harder for them then others but they are familiar with them atleast. My daughter loves the Ruger precision rimfire but the boys prefer the 22 charger. They are 11 and 13. So still have alot of growing to do to handle the larger calibers effectively.

Reactions: frank320
Accuracy and adjustability mean more cost and equipment with air rifles, pcp air rifles will give you the best accuracy but some of the underlever springers are serviceable, few are adjustable. The Benjamin marauder has some aftermarket stock options and so would the higher end equipment. The Benjamin multipump rifles are pretty good with a few upgrades to the trigger and addition of a moderator.

Reactions: frank320
So I started my kids with a airsoft AR. Has all the same controls and are pretty accurate. Then moved them to a 22 bolt action. Now they shoot what they want. I built them a 22 charger pistol in a chassis with a red dot and they have alot of fun with that. So do I. They now have shot every firearm I own. Some are definitely harder for them then others but they are familiar with them atleast. My daughter loves the Ruger precision rimfire but the boys prefer the 22 charger. They are 11 and 13. So still have alot of growing to do to handle the larger calibers effectively.
Forgot about airsofts... Airsofts are great fun. With electric AEG rifles, you just pour the bbs in, adjust the hop-up and away you go. My son and I have a couple of these and we have gone thru 10k bbs in one sitting. The good ones cost about as much as a real firearm though.

Reactions: Ryan.Johnson
Our local air gun league uses these as club rifles. Although the LOP isn't adjustable we have a couple that have been cut down. as they grow you can add the length back on with spacers made from whatever suitable material you have. Depending on their age you may have to cock it for them. Its single pump and they are accurate enough to cut carnation stems at 10m (33ft).

I started my kids off on Airsoft rifles. You can get one in about any configuration you want. Some are electric and don’t require cocking or you can get one with a bolt that cycles just like a standard bolt action. They also shoot cheap plastic bbs that can be stopped by a cardboard box packed with news paper. They are surprisingly accurate as long as you aren’t shooting in the wind as well.

I didn't want to spend alot to practice dry fire so I purchased a Crosman 1077 Combo, it comes with a decent 4x32 scope. It's hard to go wrong at $100. I also purchased some extra Pellet Clips. It's a CO2 rifle but the trajectory is repeatable for about 40 rounds.

Edit: Sorry it doesn't address your initial question though about LOP.

3 summers ago, my son must have shot over 100k of these airsoft biodegradable bbs all over our backyard. My landscaper told me that these bbs in the lawn basically gets sucked up and shot out of the lawnmower like projectiles as they go over them... :)

So, be careful of the second life of shot and leftover bbs when mowing the lawn.