• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent Weather Coming? I hope!

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
If the weather forecast holds this is what I'm looking at for this coming Wednesday. Hopefully I can get some 200 yard gong shooting in between, [Noon to 3:00 PM]. I doubt I'll get to shoot the Short Range February SH Matches this month, but I might just be able to get the 5" - 200 yard gong match shot.

It's been a long winter for sure here in NW Nebraska! We had our first snow October 8, 2009 and I don't think it ever completely melted away. Right now of this post we have about 5 to 6 inches of the nasty white stuff on the ground - atop of a mass of ice thats built up since the last week of November '09...

This weather here, [if it holds] will be like shooting in the tropics Wednesday afternoon.

Wednesday 2/24/10
11 AM Partly Cloudy 38° 32° 8 mph WSW 35% 0% 3
Noon Partly Cloudy 40° 34° 8 mph SW 34% 0% 3
1 PM Partly Cloudy 41° 37° 7 mph SW 34% 0% 2
2 PM Partly Cloudy 43° 39° 7 mph SW 34% 0% 2
3 PM Mostly Cloudy 40° 35° 6 mph SSW 40% 0% 1
4 PM Mostly Cloudy 37° 32° 6 mph SSW 47% 0% 0

Re: Decent Weather Coming? I hope!

Hope you get some good shooting Joe.
At my range last week tues was cold and windy but not enough to keep the shooting from happening.
Thursday was nice real early the sun was shining, 0 of 1600+ members were there to share it!
Shot targets at 430 and 300 meters with centerfire. hung 4X7 gong at 200 meters and had at it with .22.
About 11:30 the clouds took over the sky, so it was on with the coveralls. from 1-4 pm was spent mining lead from the pistol bays while listening to talk radio. An excellent day at the range.
Today the forcast is sunny with a high of 37. I'm going to the range!
Going back to work this Thursday and will not have so much free time.
Sounds like my tue. weather might be your wednesday weather, hope it goes good for you.

Just another reason I'm in Largo. Finally no more northeast!! Although I will actually say that sometimes I did enjoy the challenge of shooting in the extreme cold and falling snow.

Now you're making me feel bad for braving the 40 degree weather to punch some paper...

Of course, in the Summer, my stock pack smells like a cat's ass from all of the baked in sweat and humidity, but I guess those are the tradeoffs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now you're making me feel bad for braving the 40 degree weather to punch some paper... </div></div>

It's weird down here man. In the 60's (it's mostly been 70's though) everybody is actually bundled up in winter coats, hats, gloves, the whole deal. While I'm walking around in a tee shirt saying how awesome it is. People look at me weird, but my wife (who's lived here before) says they just know I'm from NY lol. She says evantually, after my body gets used to the new climate, that will be me, which is probably true. But I dunno, I spent 30 years up there!

Most likely I'll catch Clodhopper's weather tomorrow like he thought, which isn't all that bad considering the low nightly temps we've been getting. Should be a pretty good turn around of the temps (low to high) by 11:00 am tomorrow.

SmallBoreSniper - I almost moved to Arizona back in the early '80's, but landed here in NW Nebraska instead. Talk about a difference in climate.
laugh.gif

This has been a good place to live all in all. I can't complain to awful much (just in the winter). Eight years to retirement now so I guess I'll just stay put.
smile.gif

However, in eight/nine years I might become a snow-bird???
smile.gif

Joe Here's hoping you Wed was better than Tuesday here.
The sky was clear but a brisk breeze from the east blew all day at the range.
I mined some lead, then put several clay birds out at the (farthest) 430 yard berm.
They were just to easy with the centerfire, getting about 2 hits for 5 shots.
After 30 rounds the the rimfire got a chance. Ran out of elevation at 385 yards so with lots of hold over and kentucky windage for full value cold, 10 MPH breeze got one bird in 50 rounds.

As we begin our homeward trek back to the Finger Lakes, my Daughter reports school snow days (they <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> call snow days in Dundee ...) today and tomorrow, with 2-4" of snow today, and 12-14" of snow tonight.

Greg

lookin out the window, i got about 9" of snow, expected to be 16-20" before all is said and done. 40-50 mph winds predicted.

guess my range plans for tomorrow are going to change....

i guess if it was summer i'd be complaining about the heat and too much mirage!

In order for us to get to our hotel where we were gonna stay at for 2 days before we moved into our apartment, we left on Friday night 2/8. I drove right on through "snowmageddon". They shut down I-95 for 8 hours. We sat there until the sun started to set and they reopened it. It was INSANE. We saw even one of the huge city plow trucks go right of the road half rolled. Hit the road until 4 am and then got a hotel room for a few hours of sleep. Next day even the highways were terrible. There were no roads. Just white clearings. Plows ran by the exits so you have to smash through a 2' wall of snow a lot of the times. We stopped at a rest area as it was starting to get dark. Then we couldn't go again because a big rig got stuck in the only lane out. We got the car setup to sleep in, fell asleep, and then about 5 hours later a worker knocked on everyone's windows to let them know it was cleared. Had to drive again till about 4 am to make up some time. There were cars smashed, broken down, or just abandoned everywhere. Got a room for a few hours of sleep again. Hit the road again. I think it was somewhere in SC where we finally got out of the storm and happily left the snow behind us. Finally got to the hotel by our apartment where we had reservations.

So I'll say this..I just took a stroll outside in a tee shirt looking at the palm trees while I took out the garbage....AND I DESERVED IT! lol
laugh.gif

Glad you made it SmallBoreSniper.
Where I live we get just about the opposite weather of the eastern seaboard, winter has not been to bad, heavy snow fell in early November, and again a couple times around the holidays but since then just more cold than usual and a few light snow falls.
There is 14" of hard crusty snow on the ground right now.
Last week I went to work and plowed out the yard, Had a old 926 cat loader with home made 8' wide bucket. Clocked 12 hours over two days moving snow from around log decks and equipement on five acres. Most the undisturbed snow was like sugar. Did not want to stick to it self or stack very high.
At the range there is usually less snow than home or work because of lower elevation and zephyer. What ever does fall gets blown around until it gets worn out. The snow pack is about 2" today and disappering fast.
Top Preadator If your weather was here I would stay home and make more ammo.

that ran through my mind, i got a bunch of .308, .44 mag, and .357 mag to piece together.

will probably end up blowing the day "foruming"

smallboresniper - LOL, you suck! i hear they have misquitoes the size of eagles down there
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that ran through my mind, i got a bunch of .308, .44 mag, and .357 mag to piece together.

will probably end up blowing the day "foruming"

smallboresniper - LOL, you suck! i hear they have misquitoes the size of eagles down there
grin.gif
</div></div>

They're the state bird of FL lol. It's "winter" so I haven't seen a lot yet, but when I do, just more target practice haha.

well, i had plans of going to the range to confirm my dope for next month's silhouette match opener, then i thought i'd reload a couple hundred shells, but i did this instead...

2010febblizzard012-Copy.jpg

2010febblizzard015.jpg

24" in 24 hours, 3.5' to 4' drifts. we dodged all the other nor'easters this year so i can't complain too much, nothing some doan's back pills and a couple of beers can't cure.

however i did get to see an almost mature bald eagle flying over at low altitude, if i wasn't shoveling i would have not seen that, so all in all pretty cool and worth it...

...the misquito the state bird, that's a good one smallboresniper!

I bet SmallBoreSniper is home sick for New York after seeing TP's pictures...
grin.gif

HOLY CRAP! Even originally coming from upstate NY, I can still say that's a bad ass storm. I got out just in time!
wink.gif

We leave Port Orange(Daytona) FL today, spend the night North of Savannah, and the next with friends in Asheville NC. From then, it's straight North to Dundee, NY. I expect to take it in two days. Probably be going through PA Tuesday, unless we need to wait for something specific to clear up. Those photos have us a little nervous.

Greg

the roads aren't really that bad, yesterday got above 32 degrees, and the driveway was just wet. went out for some smokes, the roads where just slushy. you shouldn't have a problem, except having a place to park.

we got another inch last night, probably another inch tonight.

you should be GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only place it is 70 degrees in Kansas City is inside a house...... </div></div>

Except my house, it's in the 40's in my house for the 3rd day in a row as my heat is still out. My wife and daughters have been living at grandma's for the last 2, i've been here keep an eye on the fort, and braving the cold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, i had plans of going to the range to confirm my dope for next month's silhouette match opener, then i thought i'd reload a couple hundred shells, but i did this instead...

24" in 24 hours, 3.5' to 4' drifts. we dodged all the other nor'easters this year so i can't complain too much, nothing some doan's back pills and a couple of beers can't cure.

however i did get to see an almost mature bald eagle flying over at low altitude, if i wasn't shoveling i would have not seen that, so all in all pretty cool and worth it...

...the misquito the state bird, that's a good one smallboresniper!

</div></div>

WOW! TP, thank you for posting those pics. I have now learned that I can never complain about snow ever again. We have gotten a LOT of snow here in the KC area, a lot more than we've gotten in the last several years combined. We will normally get a couple little dustings over a winter, and we might get a week or so of "teens", but we've spent most of the winter below freezing, and have had snow on the ground unmelted for about 2 months total. We got our first big snow Christmas eve that stayed on the ground until the end of January. We've still got several inches of snow on the ground now. I typically never shovel my driveway as my daughters will sled down the driveway. I have front wheel drive and still never have a problem getting up the driveway (it is a little bit of a hill), and the wife has 4wd. However, the snow we got on Christmas was too deep for the Honda, and I had to shovel. If I got snow like yours, I think that I would tell the wife that we just aren't going to be able to make it out for a while!

Branden