• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decide: 50 Yard Match Target

Re: Decide: 50 Yard Match Target

Tp yes I did use a rear support( wally world came with front and rear bag and I think it was around 20 bucks ) and bipod (Harris 6"-9" w/podlock ) The scope was set @ 24X so there was no problem with seeing things. Ammo was Wolf Match Target. I think if we drop 3 numbers it should be GTG with spacing left to right and with the other suggestion it should work up and down 1/4" should work for spacing. On the scoring for the grid what ever you guys want doesn't matter to me.

^ Yeah I forgot to mention I used a bipod and rear bag. Scope at 15X and CCI TNT hollow points.

Hi All,

Based on your feedback here is the new draft of the target for the <span style="font-weight: bold">September</span> competition. Please do not use this target for the current August Competition!

Change list:
- Stage 2, layout change of heading and instructions
- Stage 2, instructions changed, added: white space 0 points
- Stage 2, reduced square count from 23 to 20
- Stage 2, changed spacing around grid squares from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch
- Stage 3, corrected points score to reflect current rules for miss a from 0 to -10

Change Notes:
Changing the grid spacings is a PITA so while I was at it I also tried a larger spacing of 1/3 inch but it would not fit horizontally. I could make the spacings a bit bigger than 1/4 inch but it won't be a nice round number. Hopefully 1/4 inch is OK but I'll wait for feedback.

BELOW IS A DRAFT TARGET!!!
IF YOU PLAN TO COMPETE IN THE AUGUST COMPETITION <span style="font-weight: bold">PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS TARGET.</span> SEE THE AUGUST 2010 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS THREAD FOR THE CURRENT VERSION OF THIS TARGET

SnipersHide50YardTacticalTargetv31draft.jpg

Cheers,
Shaz

that spacing looks, great, i saved and printed it, the spacing is .25". that should be good as .22lr is, well, .22", so if the bullet dead splits two blocks, it'd be a 0 point scored instead of hitting two blocks at the same time and causing a WTF on the scoring.

thanks for re doing it.

i liked the third bad guy in the hostage stage on the right side of the hostage, it kind of broke it up a bit. if it's not too much trouble and everyone thinks the same....perhaps you can do another tweek?

Thanks eagle-eyed TP,

I've fixed the hostage stage again, the one on the right is mirrored and they have the thicker bad guy outline. It was an unintentional change! I've got too many versions of this target
shocked.gif

Rather than post the target again I've just switched it for the correct one above!

Cheers,
Shaz

scoring rules change / clarification:

we are doing the best edge type of scoring where all you have to do is break a line to be counted as a hit. for stage 3, if a round breaks the line (such as shown below) for shot 4 and possibly 3, should it be considered in the circle?

should it be scored as ERIK did as -30 points or be +10 points (assuming the 3rd hit broke the line)?

i'm thinking breaking the line, although the entire round is not in the circle, should be good, but what about you guys?

9-5-1050yTactical1022.jpg

I always think of it as if you were hitting an actual metal gong. To me, it looks like that round at least grazed the line. If that were a metal gong, even if you didn't hear it as a hit, that thing would at least be moving somewhat. I would count that round as a hit.

I think "break the line = hit". If someone broke "your" line I think you'd agree that you've been hit.

To me this is more about group size and less about hit/miss. Maybe it should be center to center within the 3/4" group? So if 1/2 or more of the round is inside the line it would be within the 3/4" group. Does that make sense to everyone else? I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying pushing us to shoot better.

i don't think anyone thinks your being a dick, it's nice to have the input.

makes sense, especially when you think that 2 .22 rounds just cutting the edge on either side opens the group up to over 1 inch.

but i'm also thinking a bit of the ol' "keep it simple" principle has to kick in to keep it a fun target to shoot, even with meager equipment, without having to "break out the calipers". if there were $ and prizes at stake, i'm with you on the center to center thing.

i agree this stage is more in tune to achieving the group size, as that was the intent of the stage all along. think of adding some wind and having to adjust for it makes that 3/4" a bit more challenging for 5 consecutive rounds, and perhaps the present size adds that balance.

i've also noticed alot more shooters using this target and posting scores than what we usually get with the 4-p, which may be a testament that the sizes we have now could be the magic numbers. perhaps in a couple of months, if it becomes common that the stage is to easily shot, we can do a modification, like we did with the gongs in the longer range comps.

imho that the "know your limits" stage is the "shooting better pusher" as compared to the others.