• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decided to go 300NM

Northtogladwin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
I've been looking around and I've settled on the 300NM for my mile rifle. I've decided I'm either going with an origin long action, impact long action or surgeon action.
I have an origin in short action and it rings good, the price point is hard to beat but I might want to try something new.

Has anybody used any of these in long action with a magnum bolt face?

Also thinking if they are rem 700 spaced actions, then for 1000$ I could get a 300 prc bergara b14 hmr and run swap barreled actions on the same frame.

Thoughts??

You will not be able to do a 300nm on a Bighorn since they do not have an LM sized bolt face.

If you’re set on an Origin, then you could just run it as a 300 PRC and save the time, money and headache playing musical actions. 300 PRC is more than capable to a mile.

You will not be able to do a 300nm on a Bighorn since they do not have an LM sized bolt face.

If you’re set on an Origin, then you could just run it as a 300 PRC and save the time, money and headache playing musical actions. 300 PRC is more than capable to a mile.
I'm not set on it that's for sure, I thought it was a magnum bolt face not lm

Is it not just a magnum bolt head
No the Norma Mag uses a Lapua sized bolt face. A 300 PRC and 300 Norma run pretty much neck and neck, not sure what the point of switching between the 2 would be. If you went to a 300 NM improved you'd have a decent gain.

What is the purpose of this build? I run 300PRC in 1 mile benchrest and win my fair share. I've also won ELR matches out to 2500yds when the next smallest cartridge was a 375CT. 1 mile is where it is happy at. If I personally had a Lapua Magnum bolt face....I'd run 33XC. I wouldn't waste my time on 300NM and a hell no to 338lm.

There are a lot of cartridges that do 1 mile very well. I personally believe in the near future that 7PRC will be the cartridge to beat in 1 mile benchrest.

What is the purpose of this build? I run 300PRC in 1 mile benchrest and win my fair share. I've also won ELR matches out to 2500yds when the next smallest cartridge was a 375CT. 1 mile is where it is happy at. If I personally had a Lapua Magnum bolt face....I'd run 33XC. I wouldn't waste my time on 300NM and a hell no to 338lm.

There are a lot of cartridges that do 1 mile very well. I personally believe in the near future that 7PRC will be the cartridge to beat in 1 mile benchrest.
If I was to get the impact I could shoot all of those with just a bolt, barrel change I believe

Just wait till Thanksgiving when American Rifle Co has their sale and you can pick up a Mausingfield with lapua bolt face for a great price.

Norma mag is a great round you won’t go wrong with It. 300 PRC or WM is plenty capable at a mile as well as many others. My first hit at a mile was with a throated 7RM , with 180-190 high BC bullets it’s hard to beat to just hit steel.

If I was to get the impact I could shoot all of those with just a bolt, barrel change I believe
The Impact is a fantastic action, and yes you are correct the change of the bolt and barrel will allow you to change between Norma, prc/winny.

The Norma is an incredible round! You won’t regret it

I have a Norma on a BAT HR and love it. I also have a 300 PRC on an Impact that's still a couple weeks out. The Norma has been great at 1 mile and I believe it will only get better as I'm playing with seating depth and neck tension and may also try some N568 which I have heard it stupid accurate in both cartridges and cuts down the ES as well.

I have a Norma on a BAT HR and love it. I also have a 300 PRC on an Impact that's still a couple weeks out. The Norma has been great at 1 mile and I believe it will only get better as I'm playing with seating depth and neck tension and may also try some N568 which I have heard it stupid accurate in both cartridges and cuts down the ES as well.
I’m super curious why you want a 300 Norma and PRC? I could see if one was a lightweight hunting rig and then a heavy one but then I’d stick with same cartridge just to keep components the same. If you just want to try them I guess that’s fine.

I’m super curious why you want a 300 Norma and PRC? I could see if one was a lightweight hunting rig and then a heavy one but then I’d stick with same cartridge just to keep components the same. If you just want to try them I guess that’s fine.
The 300 Norma is a heavier, prone only setup for long range. I wanted a more mobile, lighter weight rifle and always wanted an M24 clone so I built the 300 PRC on an HS stock and carbon barrel to shoot lighter bullets and not get the shit kicked out of me running a 300 Norma in that set up with 245/250 gr bullets.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Had a 300nm.... Sold it off went 300 prc haven't looked back if only going to 2k....

If your going to run solids...sure 300nm

Last edited:

Yup, solids…

Yup, solids…
What's the benefit of them over bthp

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Down side to the 300 PRC is finding brass that's not way over priced

I shot a couple hundred rounds of factory Hornady 225 ELDM while watching for brass to arrive, then bought Atlas when they first sold 300 PRC. It was not all that expensive IIRC, maybe $2 per or a little less, I don't remember. When Lapua shipped, I think the brass I bought at Mile High was ~$1.65 per, maybe less. No big deal in the big picture.

The factory 225s in 300 PRC were boringly predictable at a mile on day 1. By 2400 yards, they were getting sketchy, but they were cheap. 230 A-Tips in Atlas brass were much better. We got many hits at 1.5 miles the first day we stretched to there. Thank god the wind was mellow or it woulda been rougher.

338LM was a very good round for us with with factory Berger ammo and excellent with handloads out to about 1.4 miles. Then it fell apart. Thing is, you can get good factory 338LM ammo.

If you want more challenge, get a 6.5 PRC or pick a 7mm round. The above and 300NM are not a tough challenge at a mile once you are dialed in. (Unless the wind is a bitch, which it often is)