• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Deciding on 10.5" upper

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I am in the process of getting my first SBR. For expediency I have decided to use an existing complete lower I have and just have it engraved. This allows me to get the absurd wait started ASAP.

So, that leaves me looking for the correct upper, and also a suppressor. Based on my limited shooting of SBR's, and recommendations from friends who have more trigger time on them, I think I want to start with a 10.5". Initially, I wanted either LaRue or Noveske, and still am not opposed to them. But, after a great experience with Kevin O'neill at HCS on a RECCE I ordered from him, I am seriously considering his MK18 Mod1.

It is a 10.5" LMT barreled rig and uses a Daniel Defense rail. Not sure of exact rail model, but it looks good. I would like to maybe hear your guys thoughts on the HCS Mk18 mod1 as he sells it, and if I should consider any changes. He will build it however I want.

As far as my plans for the rig- I want it to replace any other HD type AR I own. I would like to be able to shoot/practice/train with it from point blank to about 100 yards.

I will then be adding a suppressor, and have some Q's about that but I will post those in the suppressor forum.

After getting this SBR and can, I then hope to maybe get a 300BLK upper for it as well. So, I am hoping I can get 1 7.62 can for the 556 SBR upper, my 556 RECCE and the 300 BLK.

Any tips you guys have on uppers in general, or how I should spec an upper if I go with HCS's Mk18 would be great. Thanks.

Re: Deciding on 10.5" upper

Same boat as you. I'm probably going to blow all my tax return money on match ammo for my SPR and get the Trust/SBR ball rolling before the end of the summer. (just informed by my FFL that the CLEO will not sign off on any Class 3 items, everything in this county has to be a Trust...)

Anyway, I'm thinking on the 'budget' side of things, if that exists, and going to pick up an LMT 10.5" upper and do a MK18 MOD0, with a KAC handguard, etc...

After that, probably a 10.5" .22LR 'matching' upper just because I can.
grin.gif

I did this for about 900 and put it together myself. DD upper, 10.3" barrel, low pro gas block, DD BCG, BCM mod 3 charging handle, Troy front and rear sights, Eotech 553, and Battle comp 2.0. When my HALO paperwork comes back will up grade the bolt carrier to the PWS one for anti tilt and spikes tactical t2 buffer. Really the only thing that is different is my rail is complete black instead of tan. Upgrading the carrier and buffer I am hoping that it will prevent any kind of carrier tilt while shooting suppressed with the extra pressures from the suppressor being on.

My vote goes out to DD or Noveske built uppers----ck out Palmetto State if ya wanna build----really like the Noveske PIG but u want to suppress...........

My buddies Noveske runs lights out and is very accurate. I also have a little trigger time with a LWRC 10.5 A3 and it too ran great... Slight difference in recoil impulse but both were an absolute joy to shoot. Amazing how fast a SBR swings as opposed to a 16" (reguardless of barrel profile). That MK18 from HCS sounds like a solid set up as well.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you got it figured out.

I have a Vltor VIS upper w/ a 10.5 Noveske barrel that I use as my duty weapon and it has proven to be very good. Also have an 11.5 BCM CHF barrel with a KAC rail that I really like too. My brother has a Noveske built MK18 upper similar to the one you want that has been completely problem free as well.