• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Deciding on $1200 scopes.

TGuthrie

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
Athens, Alabama
Looking for some glass for my FN PBR. I would really like to get into a NF NXS without the Zero Stop but on the other hand I really like the clarity and price point of the Trijicon Accupoints. Being in North Alabama, I don't see a lot of 800+ yard shots with the majority of them falling inside of 500. Any other good choices in that price range?

Conquest HD5 5-25x50.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

What is the purpose of the rifle? Just hunting and hobby plinking or are you law enforcement and it's a duty weapon etc?

Also are you old and wanting a lot of magnification or is 10x fine with you?

I liked my Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14. Great little scope. About $900 from what I can remember.

What is the purpose of the rifle? Just hunting and hobby plinking or are you law enforcement and it's a duty weapon etc?

Also are you old and wanting a lot of magnification or is 10x fine with you?

Little bit of hunting but the majority of shooting will be plinking on steel and accuracy testing some hand loads. I'm 18 and blessed with above average eyesight so 10x would probably be fine but I would like to try and stretch it out to 1000 some day. Besides that 10x would probably be more than enough, I'm used to the 1.1-4x on my AR.

You would do just fine with a vortex pst, swfa scope, maybe one of the sightrons. If you really want a nightforce though then you ought to save your pennies and find a deal on a used one. It will be reliable and as long as you don't beat the shit out of it or paint it/cerakote it some fucktarded camo pattern it'll hold its value.

You have to develop a formula to help you decide. Otherwise there are too many choices. Mine is this. 1. Set obsolute ceiling for price. 2. Decide new or used. 3. FFP or SFP. If you do this youll be left with few choices and itll be easier to get something that will fit your needs.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

SWFA. I really like my used 5-20x50 FFP. Got it used for under what you are wanting to spend. They also come in the 3-15x42FFP variety at $700.

I would say $1300 is an absolute max on price, definitely want to buy used so I can get the most value, and second focal plane seems to be preferred but not a deal breaker either way.

For FFP mil/mil options in that price range I'd look at:

SWFA SS 5-20x50
Burris XTRII 4-20x50
Sightron SIII 6-24x50
Bushy DMR 3.5-21x50

Any of the above would make you happy, I believe.

For SFP:
Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 (moa/moa)
Any used Nightforce NXS

Last edited:
I have the Bushy and Sightron in the milhash reticle so i can weigh in on those two.

Bushy -
Pros
bulletproof, solid click. I love the G2DMR reticle. Great glass

Cons
Little big and bulky

Sightron S3
Pros
Amazing glass, love the milhash reticle, cheaper than bushnell, slightly higher top end magnification (only useful for groups and load testing)

Cons -
It seems less durable than bushnell. It tracks very very well but when you pull the turret offthe inner setting of the turret is smooth as opposed to having teeth on the copper post. This SEEMS like a less durable design choice but it was made to ensure the your zero can line up perfectly as opposed to those whose teeth sometime force a misalignment of the markings. I have not had problems or even heard of them, but i think it is an inherent weakeness of the design

The sightron scopes are solid with good glass quality. This would be a good basic scope for hunting and plinking on top of a 308 bolt rifle and won't break the bank it is on sale right now too:

Sightron SIII Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3.5-10x 44mm 1/10 MIL

Used leupold? I like the M3 models on gas guns (I have 2) but in your case I think a vortex PST might be better. They offer all the nightforce bells and whistles for about half the price and they don't give up anything to leupold glass or reliability wise and they are lightweight like the leupolds too.

Burris XTR 2...they look like half priced schmidt and bender but they aren't out yet, and when they are you can bet people will have problems here and there. So it's up to you if you want to be a beta tester or buy something that has been out for awhile with a longer track record. The 3-15 burris XTR2 is the one I would look at.

If you wait long enough a used Nightforce Mildot with mil knobs or MOA reticule and MOA knobs will show up for 1000-1200. A 2.5-10x32 or sometimes a 3-15 SFP model without high speed turrets. That would be a solid scope for your rifle that you would never have to worry about. But it will eat up all your money.

Last edited:
I don't think the extra $300 gets you much more than what's available at the $1000 mark.
I'd make the decision to either go sub $1000, or up to $1600.

Mark 4 line as posted above is a great option. If you're looking for a simple reticle, the VX-6 line is worth a serious look.

I don't think the extra $300 gets you much more than what's available at the $1000 mark.
I'd make the decision to either go sub $1000, or up to $1600.

Mark 4 line as posted above is a great option. If you're looking for a simple reticle, the VX-6 line is worth a serious look.

I'm hoping to find a decent NXS for $1200-$1300 used. If not I think I'll save for a new one.

For a little over $1100 I'd look real hard at the Bushnell Elite Tactical G2DMR FFP 3.5-21X50. The glass is almost as good as my Nightforce NXS 5.522X50 scopes and tracking is spot on. Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call.

Eurooptics had the non ZS 3.5-15 for $1200 shipped last week

I'll check that out.

Midway has the non zero stop on sale for $1400 shipped and the zero stop model for $1500 shipped. Is it worth the extra $100?

I have a few of each and I can honestly say that I never mess with the zero stop while hunting, I damn sure look and make sure it hasn't been bumped. Depends on how anal you are with knowing where your rifle is IAW your scope setup, MOAR, mildots, etc.... I kind of like the reassurance with caps on my Leupold 6-20x50, it would really suck if a 180" buck gets away because of it.

I'll check that out.

Midway has the non zero stop on sale for $1400 shipped and the zero stop model for $1500 shipped. Is it worth the extra $100?

Yes, the zero stop is worth it and then some. Just make sure the model you're looking at has matched knobs and reticle and you'll be good to go.

If you must stay under $1200 my suggestion would be a HDMR or a used NF. If you can go to $1500 however you can get the new NF zero stop models like you're looking at or a Bushnell ERS. I always lean towards NF though because of their reliability. You may also be able to find a used F1 for close to $1500 as well, that would get you FFP.

Waiting for a guy on armslist to get back with me. He has a 3.5-15x50 with Zero Stop and MOAR reticle and he says he would take $1200 shipped and insured. Also has the box paperwork and all other goodies. According to the ad it was mounted but never fired.

If that falls through I'm gonna go ahead and order the non zero stop version from mile high.

Waiting for a guy on armslist to get back with me. He has a 3.5-15x50 with Zero Stop and MOAR reticle and he says he would take $1200 shipped and insured. Also has the box paperwork and all other goodies. According to the ad it was mounted but never fired.

If that falls through I'm gonna go ahead and order the non zero stop version from mile high.

I would ask for serial number and lots of extra pics as well as a phone number, Armlist has a lot of scammers

Figured I would update this thread. Scored the NF I mentioned on armslist. NXS 3.5-15x50 with HST and ZS. Ended up getting it for $1200 shipped.
vube8y9a.jpg