• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deciding which 17 HMR rifle

jfk

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2004
I'm looking to buy a new rifle in 17 HMR. I'm looking at the Tikka T1X and the CZ 457 (Varmint Pro Boyds stock,) or 457 synthetic suppressor ready. Boyds being about $50, I plan to on a rail and scope (4-16) most likely for paper and occasional squirrel/rabbit. If you own either or both, I'd like some of your feedback. Now that the 457 has been out for a while, how does it fare against the Tikka?

i own a 17hmr and as much as i enjoy shooting it i often get the shits with it when it gets windy.
just be aware that the 17hmr suffers in the wind as does anything that shoots a light projectile.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
I had a Marlin 17hmr. It was insanely accurate. watched my brother shoot a rabbit at about 220 yards with it. I shot a Tikka 17hmr last year. Any Tikka i've ever shot had a bolt that was smooth as silk and triggers that are superior for factory. We just shot targets with it, but just like the marlin, it was very accurate. Gee Kay is right about the wind too. Even a small steady wind would wreak havoc on POI for targets. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of those options. Good luck.

I'm looking to buy a new rifle in 17 HMR. I'm looking at the Tikka T1X and the CZ 457 (Varmint Pro Boyds stock,) or 457 synthetic suppressor ready. Boyds being about $50, I plan to on a rail and scope (4-16) most likely for paper and occasional squirrel/rabbit. If you own either or both, I'd like some of your feedback. Now that the 457 has been out for a while, how does it fare against the Tikka?
You wouldn't happen to have the stock dimensions for the 457 synthetic suppressor ready, would you? Trying to find out if the forend is wide enough and flat enough to attach an arca rail.

Wind? 17 hmr or 17 wsm both have better BC's than 22wmr and 22lr.
As a result of time of flight and crossectional area, the 17 is less affected by wind.
I'd rather hunt with a 17 on a breezy day than my 22lr.
At 200 yards my results with the 17 equal or better match quality 22lr and stomp the snot out of the 22wmr.

It's a slow Friday morning....;)

Wind? 17 hmr or 17 wsm both have better BC's than 22wmr and 22lr.
As a result of time of flight and crossectional area, the 17 is less affected by wind.
I'd rather hunt with a 17 on a breezy day than my 22lr.
At 200 yards my results with the 17 equal or better match quality 22lr and stomp the snot out of the 22wmr.

It's a slow Friday morning....;)
Bullet weight plays a factor too though.

Break out that ballistic calculator and run those numbers for y'erself.
I had to because I didn't believe it either.

bullet-drift-10mph-wind.png

Looks like a bunch, but in the real world I wait for the breeze to pause, then squeeze.
What stomps me is turbulence, not a constant breeze. With a constant breeze I can compensate.
With turbulence ya' have no idea if it'll be up/down/left/right for each shot.

Reactions: BuckeyeSniper
17hm2 is my hunting choice over 22lr most days. I didnt even use my 17hmr this year. When it got windy i broke out the B-Mag.

Of what you mention as far as hmr, Tikka makes a solid contender in the game. Itd be 6 of one to half a dozen of the other.

You pick the one you like best - I have both in question.

I have the T1x in .17 hmr and love it.

I have the CZ 457 Pro Varmint in .22 LR and like it.

As far as a match rifle - I feel the Tikka is the much better choice.

As a hunting rifle? Pick the one you like best in the store. The Tikka will be physically heavier.

There are several characteristics about the Tikka that I feel make it a superior rifle to the CZ, but it's academic - except for the magazine and scope mount which are real world night and day better than the CZ IMO.

Break out that ballistic calculator and run those numbers for y'erself.
I had to because I didn't believe it either.

bullet-drift-10mph-wind.png

Could I bother to ask you for the same Chart, but bullet drop, instead of drift? Sorry I don’t have that tech myself to do it.
thanks

Could I bother to ask you for the same Chart, but bullet drop, instead of drift? Sorry I don’t have that tech myself to do it.
thanks

100 yard zero and the different trajectories

Trajectory-chart.jpg

side note, the 17hm2 has a problem beyond about 175 yards.
Projectile tumbling starts to show up. That tail heavy boat tail ballistic tip
goes transonic and loses stability due to the shift in center of pressure.
Funny but the 22lr doesn't seem to have that problem.
I've sent 50 rounds of subsonic Eley 42 gr 22lr and 50 rounds of Eley supersonic 42 grain 22lr
and ended up with the same size groups at 200 yards. If transonic instability had occurred
it would have shown up big time at 200 yards. Didn't happen.

Last edited:
Thanks Justin
that is crazy, more than 30” of drop for 22 at 200yrds...
I was at the range shooting 100yrds with my 22, and they had some metal targets out at 200 that I through some rounds at.
i didn’t realize it was that much of a correction.

Thanks Justin
that is crazy, more than 30” of drop for 22 at 200yrds...
I was at the range shooting 100yrds with my 22, and they had some metal targets out at 200 that I through some rounds at.
i didn’t realize it was that much of a correction.
Kryan,

That's with high velocity ammo. Using the subsonic ammo that most people use in competitions and accuracy in general, it is closer to 50" of drop at 200 yards.