• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decision time for .223 bolt action

bwp86

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Trenton, MO
I am wanting to put together a .223 bolt action rifle for target practice. The maximum yardage I have available is 600 yards. I'm wanting to get the most accurate rifle I can for around $500. I will have a budget of $600 for a scope. What would you all recommend?

I own the T3 in .270 and 300wm, both have been great rifles. I'm currently looking to move the 300wm as it doesn't get used much since I purchased the .270.

I don't see many Tikka T3 for sale in .223. I'll have to do some searching.

A tikka in 223 would be great but I dont think youll find one with a heavier barrel for under 500.

I recommend the ruger predator for a complete set up
https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/american-predator-223-22-bl-syn-prod116813.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=AJJ_223+Remington

The howa barreled actions too but there arent any on sale really and then you have to get a stock on top of it which makes it more than 500

Right now Im pondering about/torn between trying to rebarrel my 300bo ruger ranch to maybe a 6x45 or get a tikka/howa action and using that instead.

A tikka in 223 would be great but I dont think youll find one with a heavier barrel for under 500.

I recommend the ruger predator for a complete set up
https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/american-predator-223-22-bl-syn-prod116813.aspx?avs|Cartridge_1=AJJ_223+Remington

The howa barreled actions too but there arent any on sale really and then you have to get a stock on top of it which makes it more than 500

Right now Im pondering about/torn between trying to rebarrel my 300bo ruger ranch to maybe a 6x45 or get a tikka/howa action and using that instead.
What kind of accuracy have you had with the ruger?

My blackout is definitely 1 moa capable.

I just developed very crudely for a hunting load, its been my thermal gun that mainly gets shot at night under 50 yards so I didnt get too deep with it. I got both a super and sub sonic to shoot under an inch @ 100 in development though on back to back weekends so thats all I did with it on paper as far as vetting it goes.

As soon as the atf gets around to approving my sbr form 1 I will take the thermal off the ruger and actually stretch its legs a bit to see how it really really shoots.