• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decrimp tool??

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
I know Dillon makes the swager tool. But, does anyone make a cutting tool to remove the crimp? I could chuck it in my drill press and go.

I have a lot of new Hornady brass and all of the primer pockets are crimped.

Re: Decrimp tool??

Yes. I use a hornady crimp tool in my RCBS prep station. They work well in a drill too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know Dillon makes the swager tool. But, does anyone make a cutting tool to remove the crimp? I could chuck it in my drill press and go.

I have a lot of new Hornady brass and all of the primer pockets are crimped. </div></div>

I use the Hornady bits in my RCBS TrimMate. They do a better job of reaming the crimp out than the RCBS TrimMate decrimpers that I bought with the unit.

You can even chuck them in a drill and set it to slow, if you want and they're a lot cheaper.

Chris

Why not a small countersink if you have one? You just need to slightly trim the top edge.

Jack, I have a Dillon swager you can borrow if you want... PM me if interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shelpster66</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.midwayusa.com/product/364181/forster-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-17-to-45-caliber

Looks like a rocket, couple twists of the 45 degree inside Deburr side and the crimp is gone </div></div>

That's exactly what I used.....worked beautifully. </div></div>

It might remove the crimping ring, but it's also possible that it's removing more of your pocket's sidewall than you want it to, leading to less surface area around the primer and hence, looser primer pockets.

The Hornady and RCBS parts, et al., are designed with properly speced 'internal stops', that keep the cutting portion of the bits from cutting too deeply, or not deeply enough.

Chris

I use a common counter sink that I picked up for $5.
I just chuck it up in my small drill press and touch the brass to it and it's gone.
Easy 10-15 a minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shelpster66</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.midwayusa.com/product/364181/forster-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-17-to-45-caliber

Looks like a rocket, couple twists of the 45 degree inside Deburr side and the crimp is gone </div></div>

That's exactly what I used.....worked beautifully. </div></div>

It might remove the crimping ring, but it's also possible that it's removing more of your pocket's sidewall than you want it to, leading to less surface area around the primer and hence, looser primer pockets.

The Hornady and RCBS parts, et al., are designed with properly speced 'internal stops', that keep the cutting portion of the bits from cutting too deeply, or not deeply enough.

Chris </div></div>

I agree. That's the reason I went with the Dillon. Thing is a tank. Bolt it to your bench and your grand kids will still be using it.