• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dedicated .22 AR upper for SBR?

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm looking to build/buy a .22 SBR upper for my AR and am kind of stumped on where to find everything. From what I'm reading 4.5in barrels seem to keep bulk pack ammo subsonic. Anyone know where to find something like that?

Also, who makes the best bolt? Where can they be purchased?

Give this a thought

Try CMMG for a Stainless Bolt Group, I bought the combination with their 6.5" barrel and am very happy with it. I wouldn't put too much worry into having to have a 4.5" because you can buy (whenever it becomes available again) lots of different bulk 22LR ammo for it in SubSonic, like CCI Standard Velocity #50035 1070fps, Wolf Match 1050fps, Eley Sport Standard 1085fps, CCI Gemtech Sub 1080fps, Aquila Eley Prime 1055fps, Win 42 Max Sub 1065fps, Rem SubSonic 1050fps, Rem SubSonic 38g 1050fps, Rem 22 Thunderbolt 22LR SubSonic 1050fps, Win SuperX 22LR SubSonic 1065fps AND you can get SuperSonic when you want. It's nice to have the choice. Here is my Spikes/CMMG/Silencerco Build
Link for Barrel and Bolt: Barrel and Bolt Group Kit, 22 LR, 6.5" CM, MC, SS Bolt Group

Attachments

• Spikes AR22 copy.jpg
    Spikes AR22 copy.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
If you can find a used Spike's Tactical, I highly recommend them. Far as I know, Spikes doesn't make them any more, I beleive due to some patent infringement or something. But mine absolutely rocks.

I'd worry about a 4.5" barrel cycling properly. Mine's 7.5" and runs darn near 100%, even dirty. I personally know at least one guy who can't get his 5.5" to run worth a flip, and have read (internet) of a bunch of others. With CCI standard velocity, my 7.5" stays subsonic and runs beautifully. .

If they ever become available again DPMS or Nordic Components uppers. You would have to chop the barrel or see if they offer a shorter one. I mananged to snag a 6.5in barrel from Nordic for my existing 20in upper. Now hopefully I only have 8-10 weeks left for my tax stamps! :)

Been thinking about chopping my Nordic upper to 7.5". I'd really like to find another one so I can have both short and long.

Been thinking about chopping my Nordic upper to 7.5". I'd really like to find another one so I can have both short and long.

Give Nordic a call. The short barrels are not listed on their sight and are often leftovers from special orders. They still had a few when I ordered mine in late Dec.

there is a guy that goes by redtazdog or something like that on a few forums that is supposed to build a bad ass 22lr upper for ar's. i think he's on silencer talk and a few others.

there is a guy that goes by redtazdog or something like that on a few forums that is supposed to build a bad ass 22lr upper for ar's. i think he's on silencer talk and a few others.

I've been trying to reach that guy but haven't been able to get any solid contact info.

Was looking at those Tactical Solutions SBX uppers, that way I could just use it on a regular rifle. Anyone have any experience with those?

I have 2 spikes uppers, one 5.5" cut down by Adco and one 16". It took a while to break in the Spikes upper and get it to feed well with different types of ammo. You kind of have to play with polishing it and the springs. Also had a firing pin break on me and it wasn't bc of dry firing either. spikes didn't have them for a while bc of QC issues with the bolt, but they have started producing them again.

I also have a CMMG 20" govt profile upper, that worked great right out the box but I had issues with it keyholing. That was promptly fixed by CMMG's great customer service dept who re-crowned my barrel. It's a phosphate carrier but works great.

I have the TacSol SBX barrel for my ruger 10/22. It's very accurate and does get enough velocity for me to hit a rabbit at 200yrds. It's really light weight as well. And my suppressor fits inside of it and no need for a tax stamp.

They are all great options but I would just purchase a Cmmg upper and call it a day.

I would like to get a CMMG SBR upper but i called them today and they said no go for 3-4 months :/