• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dedicated rifle to shoot CCI quiets (710fps) CZ457 American or Varmint MTR?

Landon Annis

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2023
St lousi missouri
I want to build a rifle that is dead quiet and reasonably accurate. i think cci quiets are my best bet. Im looking at the 457 american and the varmint MTR, which one of these rifles would be best for shooting low fps rounds like the quiets? The match precision MTR or the longer barreled american? Thank you.

The Quiets may not make it out of longer barrels, so I’d err on the shorter side IMO. That being said, the “Match” aspect of the MTR may be wasted on the Quiets, but that’s your call.

I shoot the quiets out of 28.5" 452 ultra lux and 457 jaguar, no problems with stuck bullets. Still louder than I would like so I run suppressed. I would go with the American for the cost and longer barrel.

Some folks get lucky and never have a problem, some don’t. The OP can decide for themselves, but it can and does happen, so I felt it worth mentioning. I’m not saying to avoid doing so completely, just that one should be vigilant for “squibs” when doing so. :)

If you think the CCI quiets n(~710fps?) are not enough power and might get stuck in the barrel you can always shoot the Quiet Semi Auto (~850fps?). I don't recall the exact velocity but they are around there. The standard CCI is around 1050 as are most "Match" 22lr ammo.

I was in the same boat 6 months ago.I spoke to CZ and they said anything shooting under 1050 fps might be a problem in their MTR barrels due to the tighter tolerances.I went with a CZ pro varmint and couldnt be happier,It shoots quiets remarkably accurate.under .5 @ 50 yds.I have been using the quiet segmented hp,to date taken
Opossum,raccoon,squirrel,fox,crow

Reactions: lifecycle
I have a .22 suppressor (Rugged) on my 5" pistol and the quiets won't cycle the slide (the standard target .22 cycle just fine). However, the pistol is Hollywood quiet with these bullets. It's quieter than a pellet gun. Whatever you get, it will be really quiet with these cartridges.

I have a .22 suppressor (Rugged) on my 5" pistol and the quiets won't cycle the slide (the standard target .22 cycle just fine). However, the pistol is Hollywood quiet with these bullets. It's quieter than a pellet gun. Whatever you get, it will be really quiet with these cartridges.
Same here, the Quiets won’t cycle the bolt on my 22/45 with suppressor but the Quiet Targets will.

I want to build a rifle that is dead quiet and reasonably accurate. i think cci quiets are my best bet. Im looking at the 457 american and the varmint MTR, which one of these rifles would be best for shooting low fps rounds like the quiets? The match precision MTR or the longer barreled american? Thank you.

I shot a brick or so out of a 20" 457 varmint..not the mtr chamber. Have also ran plenty thru a 24.5" 452 American and a 25" Rim x build with an EPS chamber. The longer barrels are wee bit quieter than the 20". Never had an issue even with the tighter EPS chamber on the Rim x but ya know how that goes, something about mileage varying or the other.

Good luck trying to keep it as a purpose rifle only...I bought the 457 with the intention of leaving it stock and using it only as a field rifle and to burn thru the several bricks of Quiet I have as well...ya that didnt happen, its now in a chassis and transgendered into a 17hmr.

The issue with quiets ( at least the 710 fps version ) is they don’t seem to be very accurate from my experience. I actually get better accuracy out of the various CB offerings from CCI with a similar noise level. And yes if legal where you live, standard velocity match or target ammo, with s suppressor is a way better option.

Reactions: Zap_Rowsdower
I've posted this before in other threads but might be helpful here. I did a bunch of research into 22lr when I was getting my first can (bought a Dead Air Mask, IMHO it's very easy to clean (main selling point to me in a 22lr can), and has minimal first round pop (FRP)). My go to ammo is usually Federal AutoMatch (bulk 325 packs from Walmart for $21) in my pistols, CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Quiet (for bolt action), CCI Quiet Semi Auto (for semi auto pistols and rifles but harder to find so I don't shoot it very often). Super Colibri is what I shot a lot in some bolt guns before I got my can.

Might revisit as I look more at accuracy in the future, but for now it's hard to go wrong with any of the above.

Here is the info I have found over the past couple of years of rimfire use and now with cans:

CCI Standard #0032 1070 fps 40 grain bullet
CCI Quiet #960 710 fps 40 gr bullet - great round for the least amount of noise. Ideal for bolt action rifles or single shots. will not cycle semi auto rifles or pistols.
CCI Quiet Semi Auto #975CC 835 fps 45gr bullet - similar to Quiet but with a bit more power so that it will cycle most semi auto pistols and rifles
CCI Suppressor #0957 970 fps 45 gr bullet
CCI Clean 22 Subsonic #934CC 1070 fps 40 gr bullet (same as the CCI standard but with a blue coated bullet for less cleaning- there's also a red coated version that's high velocity)
CCI Segmented Hollow Point #0074 1050 fps, 40gr segmented HP bullet
CCI Subsonic HP #0056 1050 fps, 40gr HP bullet
CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP #0970 710 fps, 40gr segmented HP bullet- same as Quiet above but HP for hunting
CCI Green Tag #0033 1070fps, 40gr lead bullet, target ammunition
CCI CB Shorts #26 710fps 29gr LRN basically just primer and a small bullet
CCI Short Target #37 830fps 29gr LRN designed for IRF pistol competition

Aguilla-
Colibri 1B222337 420fps, 20gr lead bullet (the "standard" Colibiri is designed for pistols- if you shoot it in rifles, make sure each round cleans the barrel so you don't have any obstructions)
Super Colibri 1B222339 590 fps, 20gr lead bullet (Super Colibiri is designed for rifles- more powder makes sure the bullet exits the longer barrels)
Colibri rounds- if you shoot them a lot, clean your chamber before you switch back to LR rounds. I've had issues with carbon ring in my daughters Rascal after shooting a lot of Colibri and not being able to chamber standard 22lr
SSS Sniper Subsonic 1B222112 (50 round) 950 fps, 60gr. Be careful using this with suppressors. I've not shot it but watch your twist rate on barrels, the 60gr bullet will tumble causing baffle strikes in some rifles/pistols. They recommend a 1:7 or 1:9 twist rate for these. Some folks have no issues, but some do. Try without a can first!

Remington Subsonic 21150 (50 rounds) 1050 fps, 38gr HP
Winchester M22 Subsonic S22LRTSUP 1090 fps, 45gr
Norma Subsonic 240065 (50 round) 1017fpg, 40gr HP
Norma Tac-22 2425092 (50 rounds) 1083fps 40gr LRN
Eley Subsonic A05400 (50 round) 1040fps, 38gr HP
Federal AutoMatch 40gr LRN 1200fps (the bulk 325 packs you find a many stores)

Lastly if you are shooting thru a pistol or rifle (SBR) with a 4.5" barrel or less, most of the standard bulk ammo (1100-1200fps, I shoot a lot of Federal Automatch) will stay subsonic depending upon elevation and temps. The speed of sound varies depending upon the temps and elevation. Sea level at 75 degrees F speed of sound is 1122fps. The speed of sound goes down as elevation goes up and temps go down. Cold weather your shot may break the sound barrier when it didn't in the hot summer here.

I shoot CCI standard velocity in AR Pistol, CZ452 cut down to 16”, and couple pistols. I use a SiCo Spectre II. I am pleased with results

I've shot Colibri out of a 24" barrel. 1 out of 10 didn't make it out. But to the OP's question, I purchased a CZ457 American Synthetic and put a 16" Whitlepig barrel on it. Shooting the quiets suppressed in the back yard is how I get through the week sometimes. The quiets shot well with the 20" barrel as well. Just wanted something shorter and lighter for my backyard plinker. I love it!

Quiets really shine if you want to shoot suppressed, indoors, or out of pistols, like a TC Contender. Otherwise, I find that CCI Standard Velocity is cheaper and performs way better.