• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deer corn as bag filler or popcorn kernels???

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all, I recently tasked my mother with doing me a bag. The dimensions I gave her were "a good size" or so I thought. It turned out to be too large and I will need roughly about 8 pounds of rice to fill. I had two 2lb bags that I placed inside just to get an idea, but it seemed as if I could get two more in there. Because I already have deer corn, would that work out well? I was thinking rice was a good option because of how small they are and how good they will be able to accommodate in the bag with my rifle over it. Anyhow, I already have a lot of deer corn which I could use which is why I am considering it. Another good option I thought about was popcorn kernels. Lastly, I could try kitty litter but I think this will drive the weight much higher than the other two options. Any thoughts???

thanks,

st

Last edited:
    Don't use anything 'organic....' Get your bag wet... rice and corn and everything else is nasty. It attracts rodents no matter what.

Go to WalMart.... go into the 'plush toys' section. And find yourself a bunch of Beanie-Baby type toys. Gut them out.... and fill your sock bag or bags.

Beanie babies are also readily available and cheap at garage sales, etc. And the stuffing can be bought at most Hobby Lobby and similar craft stores.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Agree with above statement. Synthetic fill is the way to go. Of the options you mentioned popcorn is the most durable and moisture resistant.

Don't use anything 'organic....' Get your bag wet... rice and corn and everything else is nasty. It attracts rodents no matter what.

Go to WalMart.... go into the 'plush toys' section. And find yourself a bunch of Beanie-Baby type toys. Gut them out.... and fill your sock bag or bags.

Beanie babies are also readily available and cheap at garage sales, etc. And the stuffing can be bought at most Hobby Lobby and similar craft stores.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I wonder what the local fur trader will give me for a dozen beanie baby pelts?

For future reference, you can buy shell corn a lot cheaper at your local feedmill or farm supply than those camo bags of "deer corn".

The couple I made up were just play sand from Home Depot inside empty shot bags. I think I still have them around. I used a zip tie to close the bag.

Wal Mart sells poly fill in the hobby/fabric section.
    i used a shave kit with two ziplocs, one with airsoft bb's and the other with polyfill.
    The airsoft bb's give it weight on the bottom.
    You could also just buy a cheap pillow and pull the stuffing out.

I use the dense plastic beads that I also use for filler in my rock tumbler. They work great.

I’ve switched all my bench bags over to used tumbling media. Works well and best part is it’s free.

I bought a bag of sandbox sand and a bag of paver sand at Walmart. I used the sandbox stuff cuz it was a lil finer and I think it molds better to how I manipulate it. It is heavy but that is what I wanted in this bag.

Attachments

• photo83627.jpg
      photo83627.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 46
    Thanks for all the info. That one bag I was talking about is actually made waterproof and I ended up using the deer corn. I've got another 2 smaller bags coming and I will take some of these suggestions. Particularly, I am liking the idea of using airsoft BBs and poly beads.

I used poly beads inside 1000 denier cordura. The bags have held up very well. In total, I’ve invested like $40 for a couple of very nice bags. Decide what types of bags you want & get to work. I laid out my designs & showed them to a buddy’s wife & she sewed mine together. I used webbing from an old ALICE pack for loops on my squeeze bags & I also used 550 cord sewn in as a loop to attach to my sling.

Call your trap and skeet shooting buddies and have them keep all the old #209 primers they punch out when reloading. Not that heavy and due to the shape they lock together well under pressure.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

Reactions: PAYDIRT
    I made a rear bag using an old Army sock and airsoft BBs back in 2008. I have changed the outer sock a couple of times since then, but the BBs are still going strong. I recently purchased a commercially made rear bag, but still use my army sock one for a backup. I echo the sentiment against organic material, especially rice. I have seen both rice and corn get wet and then get mushy and gross. You won't go wrong with airsoft BBs or poly fill. They'll last forever.

I just made a bag myself out of cordura and bean bad chair filler. The same as poly fill. It weighs next to nothing and works great for PRS matches.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just made a bag myself out of cordura and bean bad chair filler. The same as poly fill. It weighs next to nothing and works great for PRS matches.

Also bean bag chair filler

I've copied several bags currently sold out there for way too much money. I've always filled them with the cheapest popcorn I could find for rear bags and copy of the coveted Game Changer bag. Puff bag copy gets polyfill. Popcorn is more spherical than corn, beans or rice. Squishes and moves better too. Weights not to to bad and all the bags I've made with double HD velco closures so in the advent the fill does get wet it can be easily changed. Literally saved hundreds of buck with this DIY project.

Another vote for the poly fill. I went to the dollar store & bought 3 travel head-rest yokes. Super light & works great. The only negative is it was a mess to work with!