• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing deer hunting out of a truck?

Re: deer hunting out of a truck?

I have a handicapped permit for hunting from the truck, however I can't park where I want to be, so I have never used it.
On the other hand, I was on the entrance road to my friend's ranch in Texas (4 miles from the gate to the house), with my wife driving her new Crown Vic. You know, big cushy seats, separate environmental controls, etc. We were going to hunt a few Javelina with my friend. A herd of them crossed the road in front of us, so my wife pulled to a stop. I rolled the window down, put my Contender (14 Inch, 223, 4 power pistol scope, soft point 55 gr Remington) on the mirror, and popped the biggest one. The bullet struck right at the shoulder. He dropped like a toilet seat, shook some, and died. Most comfortable "Portable" blind I have ever shot from. I had to send the wife on in to the ranch house to send my friend back out to pick me up, since she wouldn't let me throw the carcass in the back seat.

I use a remote mounted rifle I can fire with my iPhone from inside my house. That way I can just check the cams in between rounds of call of duty.

If ones there I shoot him then call a local to take him to the processor. It's all hunting.

Illegal to shoot out of ANY vehicle in Iowa, even in handicapped.

However arkansasing a few doesnt hurt either...

Heck yeah out of a vehicle, over deer food, your lunch box, over your hood, long range, short range, sound suppressed, bow, cross bow, with your vehicle(GNF does not want to hear you bitch about wanting them to pay for the damage the deer did), sword, shotgun, or any way it is legal to shoot or kill them is ok with me.

I have killed more deer with my pickup than I have ever shot. The only rule up here is it is all good if they are not in the road. I do not even slow down any more. I was stopped and the deer tried to jump over my car and it landed on my hood and the GNF said that is something you need to talk to your insurance about. So now I hunt with my pickup. Best part is no $20 license required and you do not have to gut them. Stay the hell off the road! I am talking to you deer. Good thing or is it bad they do not understand?

As Fisky said, we cannot shoot from a vehicle here in ND. Some of us do use a vehicle as a blind sometimes though. Spot the deer in relative comfort and then decide how to go about getting it. As I get older my tactics change. Right now we camp right out in the pasture and in most cases never leave camp, we shoot our deer right from there.

Camp:

Camp-2.jpg

A few views in several directions:

windflag-1.jpg

Camp-1.jpg

Camp-3.jpg

We take a lot of crap from people up here hunting this way. Most guys believe the only way to hunt deer is to walk every inch of cover and push the deer out. The problem that I have with this is that most guys can't hit a moving target worth shit and end up shooting their deer in the ass. Or one deer jumps up and five guys open up on it turning it to hamburger in it's own hide.

I on the other hand shoot at deer that are either walking slow or standing still without a clue I'm even there.

I am a firm believer in hunting them the way you want to hunt them as long as its legal.

Rob Opp