• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Deer Meat In California ? anyone ?

LiLMann

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
VA
Hey there folks, i have a friend that has moved to San Diego from Virgina and is tryin to find some good people who hunt and may be able to get her started out there or may know someone that knows someone that may have a meat packin place

Re: Deer Meat In California ? anyone ?

I am near LA, about 2hrs from SD. Deer season is done here til the fall but she can always get out there and scout. The Cleveland National Forest is a good place to start. Can buy maps online or at a Ranger station.
Does she hunt anything other than Deer?
If she is looking for venison, she will have to find someone that will GIVE her some. It is illegal to sell wild game in CA.
Have her check out TheOutdoorsForum.com, there are a lot of SoCal guys on there.

If she is just wanting some venison to eat she can buy farm raised venison at some specialy meat markets.

Siesel's Old Fashioned Meats and Prime Selections, Inc. are just a couple places that came up in a google search.

If she is looking at hunting around SD the Cleveland National Forest is the first place to start, plus they are starting to get wild pigs up there too. If she has family in the marines stationed at Camp Pendleton she can hunt on the base.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/deer/docs/deerguide.pdf

This guide is pretty good to get her educated about deer hutning in CA.

One more note about California deer, we do not have any whitetails here. We have blacktails and several species of mule deer. The deer in Southern CA are a type of mule deer and tend to be a smaller species and it is very rare that you see a buck with anything more than a set of forks. Also, there is almost no doe harvest. Only a select few counties allow doe hunting and those hunts are by special draw only. She will need to put in for tags early depending on what zone she wants to hunt. Many zones don't sell out and you can by tags over the counter on June 1st (I think that's date) after the general draw is over.

There are a lot of good places to hunt (if one is willing to pay) and shoot around here. PM me if you want my personal contact info. I don't hunt in San Diego just because I have access to land in the moutnains near Yosemite (central CA) and I find the pig hunting along the central CA coast (Monterey county and San Luis Obispo county area) have wild pig hunting second to none. They also have good deer hunting too.

The biggest prblem in CA is trying to find good land to hunt. Most of the land is private and is leased up or you cannot gain permission to hunt on it.

San Diego Deer are Mule Deer and they do issue 300 Antlerless tags in SD county every year. They are by Drawing only. They issue 3000 Over the Counter Buck tags for the same zone.
SD pigs are mostly Media Hype. Not really a huntable population yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SD pigs are mostly Media Hype. Not really a huntable population yet. </div></div>

I am going to have to disagree with you here. They are located all over east county from Alpine to Poway to Julian and Ramona.

The Union Tribune published an article about them in June of 2011 and here is a quote:

<span style="font-style: italic">"When it comes to controlling the spread of feral pigs in San Diego County, the public hunting effort isn’t doing the job.

That has led federal agencies to launch an ambitious program that will use cage traps, corral traps, federal hunters with guns and dogs and even shooting from helicopters to exterminate the area’s population of wild swine. Officials see the pigs as a threat to fragile ecosystems and public health and safety. Environmentalists worry about the damage wild pigs will do to the county’s sensitive habitat, much of it rebounding from Southern California’s catastrophic wildfires of the last decade."</span>

Obviously their numbers are high enough that the Feds felt the need to get involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Money</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SD pigs are mostly Media Hype. Not really a huntable population yet. </div></div>

I am going to have to disagree with you here. They are located all over east county from Alpine to Poway to Julian and Ramona.

The Union Tribune published an article about them in June of 2011 and here is a quote:

<span style="font-style: italic">"When it comes to controlling the spread of feral pigs in San Diego County, the public hunting effort isn&#146;t doing the job.

That has led federal agencies to launch an ambitious program that will use cage traps, corral traps, federal hunters with guns and dogs and even shooting from helicopters to exterminate the area&#146;s population of wild swine. Officials see the pigs as a threat to fragile ecosystems and public health and safety. Environmentalists worry about the damage wild pigs will do to the county&#146;s sensitive habitat, much of it rebounding from Southern California&#146;s catastrophic wildfires of the last decade."</span>

Obviously their numbers are high enough that the Feds felt the need to get involved.
</div></div>

Just more Media Hype. CA DFG LOVES the Hype! They are selling so many more pig tags in SD county than ever. Thats revenue generated by news articles just like you posted.
However a WHOPPING 8 pigs were taken last year in SD!!
Do you hunt in SD? I Deer hunt there. I hunt just a couple miles from the reservation where they were first released in 2006. I have seen very little pig sign and never seen an actual pig down there.
Sending somebody down there to pig hunt is a cruel joke.

If active duty than Camp Penelton is a good option. Just have to go up there and get your permit after that you are good to go on the base. Pretty easy day and a very large base. Did a little coyote hunting up there. I think there are 130 plus head of buffalo on the base also.

If she wants to hunt a real Blacktail, tell her to come up to Washington