• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes deer/target best glass under $500?

creech

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2012
north dakota
I'm in a position where I need glass for both my .223 & .308. Unfortunately money's running tight so I can't afford to buy a top of the line scope this year. My .308 is my bigger concern of the two since I would like to get it up and going for practice before deer season. I don't typically shoot past 500 yds. Anybody got any good suggestions?

I just went through something similar and even though I really want a Vortex PST, I couldn't afford it(just picked up a sweet pile of engagement ring/wedding bands today kind of 'can't afford it' hahaha)....my top three were vortex viper pa 6.5-20, millett LRS 6-25 and falcon menace 5.5-25 ffp...my first choice was the falcon, but its nearly impossible to get new in the states right now. I settled with the millett, but I was also wanting a lot of mag range and good travel. If you're looking for something for hunting as well, a lower mag range might be a decent idea and you'll have some more options in your price range....

oh and also, if I didn't want mil/mil I would have gone viper....

Those are an OK place to start looking though for under $500...good luck!!

Adam

Leupold vx3 3.5-10 or 4.5-14
try to find a Kahles AH 3-9 or an older swaro 3-9/3-10
If you want some high mag for "target" shooting that's in your title, you could try the bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30

I think as far a pure glass quality goes, for a hunting scope, the Zeiss Conquest will probably come out on top, closely followed by Minox and Meopta. Glass quality is subjective, but there are a few guys who have examined them in a laboratory setting and tested various properties of them, there is some good reading on opticstalk.com. The IOR fixed 4x is rated very high and is a great hunting scope also. Pure glass quality isn't everything though, reticle choice, warranty, resale, weight etc all come into play for picking the best value. Like I say, the Zeiss design is very well sorted out and you'd have to spend a lot more to get much glass improvement. For tactical scopes, that is a whole other story as adjustment repeatability trumps glass quality. Most hunting scopes from Vortex, Leupold, Weaver, Zeiss, and Bushnell have plenty good glass for shots out to 500 yards. Right now, I think the discounted prices from CameralandNY and samplelist on the Minox ZA3 and ZA5 series is the best value out there for hunting scopes, also the closeouts on the Zeiss Conquests can be found for a steal. The Vortex 5-15 from midway is excellent when available, as is the 6.5-20. Another hidden Gem is the discontinued Vortex Viper 2-7x32, cameralandny has some. Lots of great glass out there these days for under $500!

If you won't be shooting further than 500 and have no need for ranging reticles, I'd consider a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with a Z-Plex and have their custom shop install an elevation knob. The glass quality will be better than Leupold or Vortex. You'll have to deal with an IPHY knob, but for the cash, it will be the best optically.

Burris has very clear glass for under 500.00
just put one on for a friends build- couldnt believe the clarity for the $
he said it was less than 300.00
had some kind of drop reticle
4 small graduated lines under the cross
the big 35mm Millett is also a good scope for just under 500.00
but be advised IT IS BIG

Last edited:
Have to agree on the Meopta.

I own a few along with S&B, Kahles, Zeiss. Etc..

The Meoptas (both lines) have better glass than the Conquests.

In fact, they are up there with the top Alpha glass.

And that is from actual field use, hunting in low light.

I have to disagree slightly with the guys trying to vouche for millet, while they are now made by Bushnell I have had experience with 3 of the LRS 5-25 35 mm's, one is my friends that has major issues with the turrets(skipping jumping clicks) or incorrect mil clicks another words says .1 clicks but say when i wanna add 1 mil for elev. its to much or not enough, the one I got the mil values were correct but the turrets skipped and jumped after i determined this I sent it to bushnell and got it back. Now this ones turrets did function but I sold it new. The glass is EXTREMELY good in them though. If you wanna take a chance on there quality control its up to you. Also it says it comes with rings but they are SUPER high for a bolt gun.

I would go with the SWFA fixed power scopes they come in 6x, 10x, 12x, 16x and 20x i believe. SWFA's customer service has been good to me.

My deer rifle (Tikka 30-06) has a VX-r 2-7 (has thick post and red dot for quick target acquisition). Prob not the best for target, for that I would get a Leupold VX3 CDS. Reason is it is not very heavy or bulky, clear optics and good light. You can always dial 1/4 moa elevation as needed.

Last edited:
Take a look at Sightron while you're at it. Although not as tacticool as some other brands they track well. I have and have had several and I've had good luck with all of them. I also run some of the expensive stuff and while not equal I don't find Sightron to be that far behind the uber-high end stuff.

Thanks for the advice, I've been thinking a lot about a fixed 12x Swfa, but also will look at the Zeiss and meopta before I buy.

Thanks for the advice, I've been thinking a lot about a fixed 12x Swfa, but also will look at the Zeiss and meopta before I buy.

The SS 12x would be a great target scope, or the SS 16x. They would be terrible hunting scopes though. The only way to conceivably use the 12x in a hunting role is to put a red dot mounted at a 45 on the tube. If you are considering shooting anything other than targets, get a variable. For the same price as the SS, look at the Weaver 3-10x40 from midwayusa. It has easily the best glass in a $300 variable and is mil/mil. If you don't care about mil/mil, as recommended, the Zeiss, Meopta, and Minox are top tier in the sub $500 catatory. It's also worth mentioning the sightron sII big sky.

My vote is for the Conquest. Good glass for a good price. A couple of years after they first came out I was using one elk hunting in Wy. One of the other hunters couldn't see an elk in the rising sun. I got there just moments too late. With my Conquest I could see clearly. His Monarch still couldn't be used. He was upset to say the least. It was a 6X6... The coatings are good. Its as good or better than anything else in that price IMHO. Bruce