• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Deer vs 338 Lapua Improved

Re: Deer vs 338 Lapua Improved

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huber tuber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tyler Kemp said:
"Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else."

Please elaborate? I spent about 32 hours over two weekends hunting, passed on multiple smaller bucks, and shot this for some meat.</div></div>

</div></div>

That's why he made a head shot, because he was taking it for meat. Who said he carried it around like a spot and stalk hunt, versus moving to various spots and just setting in? Who says he ain't able to do so without any great discomfort, even if it was constant walking? (obviously he managed without an IV in the arm and a "where is Tyler Kemp?" thread) Who said the .338LM has to be used for sniping "personal"[sic] at 1k yards?

Why all the questions, you might ask? Because you seem to have all the answers.
</div></div>

Sorry, it's going to be way to difficult to explain this to you as your obviously at dissonance with the purpose of specific tools.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huber tuber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else."

Please elaborate? I spent about 32 hours over two weekends hunting, passed on multiple smaller bucks, and shot this for some meat.</div></div>
</div></div>

LOL, ok let me explain. My point is that .338 is a high energy round designed for long range sniping (AI and Sako) it's meant for killing personal who are wearing body armor at over a thousand yards, or as well puncturing engine blocks or missile skins. It's not the best hunting round unless your going after giant game perhaps, but then there are far better rounds for that as well. .338 is just very damaging when it hits, usually blowing things up. It's similar to hunting with a .50cal (not quite but close.) Any study of the physics of a good hunting cartridge will point to .308, 270, .300 win mag at most. This is as well overlooking the obvious, a .338 rifle is about twice as heavy as any rifle that is built around a good deer hunting cartridge, what hunter would want to carry a 14lb rifle around all day (not I)

A body shot at 100 yards with a .338 would have ruined a lot of good meat, that was the the end point I was making. So hence "a waste."

Some people just like to see things explode. Perhaps your on to something? Maybe they should have a thread for pictures of animals that have been hunted with RPG's and high explosives.

</div></div>

Damn, next time why not just crucify me?

Have you ever driven a car with over 60 horsepower? I don't see why you'd ever need that when the speed limit is 70 on the highway.

Fact is, I wanted to shoot a deer with my long range gong ringing rifle, which is in fact 25 lbs, not 14. I used a HUNTING bullet, made an accurate shot, didn't need to track the deer, and didn't lose any meat.

What interest do you have in what I do?

By the way, "your" and "you're" aren't interchangeable.

Oh yeah, VJJ, just cause I can
laugh.gif

I think next year I'm gonna take out a 375 WSM and 375 Cheytac just for you, huber tuber.

why not do some ballistics test while hunting if given the opportunity? Nice shot tyler! I might try a headshot while I'm out this week if one of those ol' donkey heads looks at me the wrong way!!

If I had a 338, I would have done the same thing! Awesome shot! I have used a 7mm mag since I was 18 yrs old. Shot most of my deer in the head with exception of the deer I wanted to mount.

Notice how the bullet road up the snout before it entered! I've done many a times. Were you able to see the back of the head hit the top of her back like whiplash? Gives you a perspective of how hard the hit really is!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TGRdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huber tuber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tyler Kemp said:
"Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else."

</div></div>

That's why he made a head shot, because he was taking it for meat. Who said he carried it around like a spot and stalk hunt, versus moving to various spots and just setting in? Who says he ain't able to do so without any great discomfort, even if it was constant walking? (obviously he managed without an IV in the arm and a "where is Tyler Kemp?" thread) Who said the .338LM has to be used for sniping "personal"[sic] at 1k yards?

Why all the questions, you might ask? Because you seem to have all the answers.
</div></div>

Sorry, it's going to be way to difficult to explain this to you as your[sic] obviously at dissonance with the purpose of specific tools.
wink.gif
</div></div>

As opposed to the inability to understand the use of tools in multiple roles, possibly for the purpose of research within the testing perimeters of the "because one can" factor?

I mean, why on earth would the IDF use subsonic .22LR in riot control when everyone knows that .22LR is a small-game caliber?

This relegating of tools to a "this and this only" category is the exact methodology of the Left in eroding gun rights.

Um...if it wasn't clear (sarcasm so seldom is) :

I thought that killing it with way more gun than necessary was pretty cool. Overkill is under rated, as they say.

I really don't know why anybody would take issue, except so they could whine about something. Which is fine if that's your thing...

Deadly Punk.

Tyler, I for one think its AWESOME! Shootin' slick heads in the head is the way to go in my opinion, unless you use a bow as I did thrice this year already. And if I had a .338LM I'd do the same thing.

And for what it's worth, several of my "walkin' round" rifles are pushin' 14lbs.

[/quote]

Damn, next time why not just crucify me?

Have you ever driven a car with over 60 horsepower? I don't see why you'd ever need that when the speed limit is 70 on the highway.

Fact is, I wanted to shoot a deer with my long range gong ringing rifle, which is in fact 25 lbs, not 14. I used a HUNTING bullet, made an accurate shot, didn't need to track the deer, and didn't lose any meat.

[/quote]

LOL, Ok nice point with the car, don't mean to shoot at you, just my slanted take on things.

Ok let me explain, a little back story here. I prefer to do as my Grandfather taught me and that is to go for the heart/shoulder area. He was a master hunter. This method works great, I have dropped at least ten deer this way with no drama. A deers head is way too animated and is constantly moving usually (scanning for danger) so thus you have a high risk of missing or worse. As my Grandfather explained he was hunting with his brother who decided to take a head shot and blew the jaw off a nice buck. They had to track the beast for three miles to the point where it had lost so much blood that it went unconscious off a steep slope that lead to a cliff and was crushed a hundred feet below. So this nightmare scenario has played out time and time again with countless hunters. So just out of fairness and to be humane to the game I chimed in. Many of us on the forum believe in humane hunting, I have respect for the animals I hunt. (as I'm sure you do as well) Needless to say it would suck to have to hump a 25lb gun that far.

As I mentioned earlier (and not to sound like a dude on a high horse) a 338 at the body would blow stuff up and waste a good animal. But that aside I wish you good luck next time out as I know you mean well and just want to hunt. Hope that clears that up.

Tyler,

You are not helping me hold back on building my 338 Lapua Imp ;-)

Nice shooting.

Don't let the critics give you a hard time. I love overkill.

To quote the phrase that comes to mind:

"There are times in life when the project at hand calls for the "bigger hammer"

This is it.... "

Only reason this gives me pause is all of the nasty stuff is in the brain. CWD and prions oh my. I hope you wore gloves. I would have severed the head and left it right there.

Nice Shooting Bro!!!!

and to Uber

If i were guessing many more deer have "gotten lost" over vitals shots rather than ahem... head shots. Don't think about it too hard.

As for humane, whats cleaner than a headshot?

I'd call that abstract art...

Hunting with an RPG...thats an awesome Idea!

I'm with the OP on this one. "Because I can" is all the reason he needs. A safely taken head shot on a deer that isn't alarmed works well and leads to bangflop. Deer hit in the heart can, and will, run a ways.
But the head shot's not for everyone. There are times circumstances and skill level dictate shot placement.
Here's a picture of a Montana whitetail do after a 29 yard headshot with the plain ol' .338 Win. No wasted meat, and no tracking. My .223 was legal, so why take the .338? Because it was a meat hunt and I wanted to shoot a doe in the head with a big, fast-moving bullet. Because I could.

Boom! Headshot!

1911fan

OP, that is amazing! I have shot deer in the head before but it looked nothing like that. You really don't want to be on the wrong end of a .338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did ya hit it? </div></div>

Foot. </div></div>

I cant stop laughing !!!!

That might have been a new world record, and you shot the darn things off. lol. Nice shot, I bet you had wished it was at 500

Nice shot. She looks to be resting confortably so it's pretty apparant she went down clean. With no obvious thoracic vitals hit did you determine the cause of death? Some sort of sudden death syndrome going on here.
smile.gif
smirk.gif

My son just shot his elk this year with a 338 Lapua 300 grain Berger and the meat lose was minimal.

Let's see your rifle.