• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance AnTi guidance

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
Looking for guidance on the defiance AnTi. I recently bought a rifle in 308 on an AnTi short action. I will likely keep it with this barrel for a while and may buy a 6.5 creed prefit. I would rather get a 6.5 prc barrel though. From my understanding, the only thing required to swap to 6.5 prc would be a magnum bolt. Everything out is the same with the short action. Is that correct? In regards to bottom metal, what bottom metal would work for a 6.5 prc? I have read the Hawkins bdm would work.

Also, what is a good place to find a magnum bolt? Defiance told me they have a 15 month wait

Did they tell you there was a 15 month wait specifically for bolts, or complete receivers?

Theres nothing special about 6.5 PRC bottom metal, but the internal magazine and follower are PRC specific, and can be purchased from Wyatt’s.

Man......they should be able to accommodate you a lil better than that. We live local to Defiance. My buddy had pierced a few primers forming 6 dasher. His firing pin was damaged at the bolt face, and there was very light etching around the FP hole. Defiance had a brand new bolt/fp assembly ready for him in 10 days. Glenn & Crew are good people.

I'd imagine warranty work get handled differently than new orders. Waiting for an extra bolt isn't gonna turn his action into a paperweight.

Did they tell you there was a 15 month wait specifically for bolts, or complete receivers?

Theres nothing special about 6.5 PRC bottom metal, but the internal magazine and follower are PRC specific, and can be purchased from Wyatt’s.
The Wyatt system would be for a hinged floor plate right? I am wanting to use a DBM setup. What I am specifically wanting to do is to put this into a manners stock with a mini chassis. Does the manners mini chassis work with 6.5 PRC mags (accurate mags)? Or do I need to use a Hawkins DBM? Apologies for my uninformed questions. I am used to basic Rem 700's and am new to this custom rifle game. The options are mind numbing and confusing.

mini chassis would work just fine

don't forget about the Manners LRH which has an M5 mini chassis and you could run the slick Hawkins Hunter M5 DBM and mags

I assumed since it was an anti receiver, you wanted it to be light.

The detach mags for the PRC/short mags are essentially just a binderless AICS magazines. So you need any solution that takes an AICS magazine. That could be a mini chassis, the hawkins, Badger, etc.

The detach mags for the PRC/short mags are essentially just a binderless AICS magazines. So you need any solution that takes an AICS magazine. That could be a mini chassis, the hawkins, Badger, etc.
I'd personally check into cutting the action rearward and modifying bolt stop to run a bainey 3b mag box and load 3 down with Hawkins m5 oberndorf. This setup will be 3oz lighter than dbm. Or run a wyatt's cfe5 box that allows 2.995 coal. Bainey is 3.1" internal. Believe the Hawkins hunter mags are 2.97 internal.

The Wyatt system would be for a hinged floor plate right? I am wanting to use a DBM setup. What I am specifically wanting to do is to put this into a manners stock with a mini chassis. Does the manners mini chassis work with 6.5 PRC mags (accurate mags)? Or do I need to use a Hawkins DBM? Apologies for my uninformed questions. I am used to basic Rem 700's and am new to this custom rifle game. The options are mind numbing and confusing.

Here is a 6.5PRC in a Manners LRH, MCS-M5 mini chassis, with a Hawkins Hunter bottom. COAL on my rounds are 2.970 and work and feed perfect in my Antix action.

Attachments

• 20220725_161637.jpg
    20220725_161637.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20220725_161657.jpg
    20220725_161657.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 152
You can also use the accurate mags with this setup too.

Attachments

• 20220725_162443.jpg
    20220725_162443.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 115

I got a good deal on this rifle that had an Anti action. I'm not necessarily chasing ounces but it never hurts to lose a little weight for a hunting rifle. If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't have paid the extra for the Anti action. I just really prefer detachable mags over a hinged floor plate.

Here is a 6.5PRC in a Manners LRH, MCS-M5 mini chassis, with a Hawkins Hunter bottom. COAL on my rounds are 2.970 and work and feed perfect in my Antix action.

That is pretty much the exact setup that I have in mind. I really love the LRH stock. Unfortunately I'll probably keep it in .308 while I source a magnum bolt.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
Nice to get a good deal, congratulations on the ANTI. I favor DBMs too, especially in a general purpose hunting rifle. Which is what I would build if it was me. Though I would probably go with a MDT HNT26 folder. If jumping up to a factory short action GP magnum, which I would also do, I'd go with a 24" or 26" a Bartlien 400MODBB carbonfiber wrapped 6.8 Western.

Last edited:
Nice to get a good deal, congratulations on the ANTI. I favor DBMs too, especially in a general purpose hunting rifle. Which is what I would build if it was me. Though I would probably go with a MDT HNT26 folder. If jumping up to a factory short action GP magnum, which I would also do, I'd go with a 24" or 26" a Bartlien 400MODBB carbonfiber wrapped 6.8 Western.

Thanks for the advice! I have been intrigued by the 6.8 western since it launched. I originally was waiting for Model 70's to become available before I bought one. My worry is that 6.8 western won't catch on. I think the caliber has excellent characteristics for long range hunting. I reload but I don't want to get into a caliber where brass is eventually hard to source like some of the SAUM, WSM, and WSSM rounds. That is why I was gearing more towards 6.5 PRC. I am sure that 6.5 PRC will be around for a while.

I also like 7mm PRC, but I don't think that it will fit in a short action. The 6.8 western seems like a really nice compromise.

I reload but I don't want to get into a caliber where brass is eventually hard to source like some of the SAUM, WSM, and WSSM rounds. That is why I was gearing more towards 6.5 PRC. I am sure that 6.5 PRC will be around for a while.
Interesting. I have a 6.5 PRC, and ammo has been a PITA. I wish I'd waited before jumping on it. Mostly because of the lack of heavies not the ammo situation.

The 6.8 has everything I want which is the 270, plus the WSM velocity, the BC of a PRC, the energy of a heavier magnum projo and like the WSM, it's all in a short action. I am not worried about the 6.8 Western fading into the sunset. Especially with the military adopting the caliber. Since I can't reload the 277 Fury, it isn't worth it me. So I expect to be shooting a 6.8 next year sometime, this one way or another.

Interesting. I have a 6.5 PRC, and ammo has been a PITA. I wish I'd waited before jumping on it. Mostly because of the lack of heavies not the ammo situation.

The 6.8 has everything I want which is the 270, plus the WSM velocity, the BC of a PRC, the energy of a heavier magnum projo and like the WSM, it's all in a short action. I am not worried about the 6.8 Western fading into the sunset. Especially with the military adopting the caliber. Since I can't reload the 277 Fury, it isn't worth it me. So I expect to be shooting a 6.8 next year sometime, this one way or another.
I think he means in the grand scheme of things, the PRC has solidified itself and should be here for the long run. The fact that Lapua jumped on it as fast as they did makes it an easy win for me.

Reactions: b6graham

I just am thinking that 6.5 PRC will catch on because they market it with the precision rifle market vice the hunting market. It seems like cartridges geared towards the hunting market have a harder time of catching on.

I think a good example of that is 6.5 Creedmoor. It really doesn't do that much more than a 260 does but the 6.5 creed was the clear winner in that race. I really hope 6.8 western catches on. I think the reason for ammo availability in the 6.8 western being better than 6.5 PRC is because of the availability of rifles. 6.8 western chambered rifles still seem hard to find. Like I mentioned earlier, I've been wanting a Win Model 70 in 6.8 Western, but the only rifles I can really find for 6.8 are Browning X bolts and Winchester XPR's.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
You maybe right about precision vs hunting label being a key to quick success for new cartridges. It isn't for me. For long range paper punching I would favor the 6mm caliber for myself. We did choose a 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260. It was a close race. It wasn't over paper punching but it was over BC.

Last edited:
Adding the 6.5 PRC had nothing to do paper punching, and everything to do with hunting. The advantage of the 6.8 W clearly is being able to shoot heavier high BC projos at magnum velocities and energies. It can also make the 130-150s scream. Once more loadings are available the versatility of it may become more obvious. Myself I am looking forward to a M-70 in 6.8 too.

You maybe right about precision vs hunting label being a key to quick success for new cartridges. It isn't for me. For long range paper punching I would favor the 6mm caliber for myself. We did choose a 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260. It was a close race. It wasn't over paper punching but it was over BC.
6.5CM beating 260 was about BC? nah it was about marketing, ammo, and twist rate

Adding the 6.5 PRC had nothing to do paper punching, and everything to do with hunting. The advantage of the 6.8 W clearly is being able to shoot heavier high BC projos at magnum velocities and energies. It can also make the 130-150s scream. Once more loadings are available the versatility of it may become more obvious. Myself I am looking forward to a M-70 in 6.8 too.
so the 170 EOL and nothing else is what you're saying. cause the 175 TGK has a trash BC. even the 6.5 and 7mm ABLR options surpass the 277 ones BC wise

and even so the 170EOL is about equal to the 144 LRHT and is easily surpassed by the 153 and 156 (which dont require different than normal twist)

the options in both 6.5mm and 7mm also go from very light to very heavy and far surpass the next 5-10 years of 277 bullets

i'm not saying 6.8 Western is dumb.....wait yes I am

brb waiting for Lapua to make 7PRC brass/ammo way before they even think about 6.8Western

cant wait to see people talking about blowing up bullets from their 7 twist 6.8Western rifles trying to shoot 130-150gr at 3200 since browning can't even figure out if they want a 7 or 8 twist when even the 170EOL only needs a 9