• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Define a flier

Smoketheclay

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2017
How do you define a flier?

Is this a 100 yard, 5 shot group where all are touching basically in one hole and then another is .25-.5 moa away from the rest?

How do you define it?

Here's 5 at a 100yds with .22lr, 5th round was the flyer...… followed by a loud F Me! :)

i-xfRkr42-L.jpg

First, you must have a group. Second, you must have a round that is out of the group ... that is your suspect. Third, when you called that shot, it should have gone into the group. Flyers can be first shot, last shot, or anything in between.

If you know you pulled it, then it is an explained flyer. You smack yourself up side the head for being a moron then go to work to eliminate it. For both kinds, I think back on and then look again -- breathing, natural point of aim, trigger control, recoil control, flags and mirage, was the gun canted, was my eye squarely behind the scope, did I shoulder the gun, did I load the bipod right, are the bags okay, is this piece of brass not the best, round in the chamber too long ... all of that sort of thing.

Only you know if that shot was out of the group when you shot it. Don't lie to yourself. If don't know what that weapon is capable of so I can't tell you if that was ammo or you or whatever but since you said that was the last shot, I'm going with, "you pulled it".

4-and-1 groups are quite common in benchrest. The shooter gets 4 in a bughole and then he gets excited by this fantastic little group and screws up his fundamentals and ... flyer. I have shot a few dozen, maybe hundreds, of those.

that about explains it..... the flyer is the one that ruined the group. Being honest with yourself, you usually know when you fired that round and what you did wrong when the trigger broke.

Reactions: ShadowBear
If the 5th shot is always your so called flier, why are you not firing # 6&7, even 10 to see if they go back into the group or if barrel heat has now changed your point of impact.
You really don't know if you have a flier or if you choked.

The trick is being able to identify the five fliers in a five shot group.

I call a flyer if it is greater than one MOA from the center of the group of the other four shots.

Reactions: riverside jeep
I think you can identify the Flier, not the cause with Common Core Math :)

If you disregard the POA to POI error of most groups, Use the Mean Center of the good shots.
Determine a Standard Deviation for that group. If the distance from the center of the group to the 'Flier' is 3 S.D. from the center it is an outlier.
This is more reliable for sample sizes that can be expected to follow a Gaussian distribution.
10 shots and it will work. 3 or 5 shots? You missed dude :)

The real trick is calling the error shot as soon as you see it in the scope before anyone else notices you missed.

There are no “fliers.”

They are all shots. Some are very close to one another and others not as close.

Figure out why those are not so close and fix it. Be it you, your ammo, the surface you’re shooting off of, etc.

Using the term “flier” relegates it to an anomaly or something that shouldn’t count. When in fact, these rounds are the most important shot as they show you something went wrong. Could be something minor like an environmental change or something more serious.

So, what’s a flier? In most uses it’s an excuse. In productive use it’s a clue.