• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Definitive .17 HMR Ruger Precision Rimfire RPRR17

BRRBshooter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2019
I wanted to create this definitive Ruger Precicion Rimfire thread for the .17 HMR only.
After reading thru over 1500~2000 posts in a single RPRR thread, so much information
and discussion gets lost in the haze. Especially for new owners.

This is not a thread for comparison to other .17HMR's or trolling.

I believe the 'standard" acronym for this highly popular rifle is RPRR (not RPR or RPRF).
Now thus named RPRR17.

At the time of this posting, this is what is known. Please add additional especially when the weather warms up.

What is known:
-Stock black 18" barrel model 8402.
-Ruger has hired new employees and equipment to actually try and keep up with demand of the RPRR
and RPRR17.
-Only two manufacturers are currently making after market "match" grade barrels for the RPRR17;
Lilja and Lothar-Walther.
-There is one great after market trigger assembly; Timney.
-No aftermarket or a better stock is yet available from anyone.
-No company or gunsmithing concern is making their upgraded, hot rodded, custom,
match grade, custom painted, blinged, or otherwise RPRR17 for sale 'out-of-the-box".
To me, two years after launch, and the consumer demand, this is surprising.
-Stock street price is $385~435 usd. I obtained my floor model retail for $350.
-There is one distributor exclusive of the RPRR17; Banger's red (more like
pastel pink), 16.1" barrel model #8420.
-Common range/paper plinking distances in this and other forums is 50~100 yrds.

The issues and concerns Ive had so far is:
-Ruger absolutely refuses to state the SN's or batch numbers of the individual
RPRR or RPRR17's that have manufacturing problems/defects with the loose magazine
problems scaring/misfiring ammo, and extraction. And if a recall is in the works.
-Same for bolt scraping or other bolt issues.
-Being able to attach a common tripod with a SLR/DSLR coarse female thread that isn't
twice or more the cost of the tripod itself. The M-lock piece or metal is $49 MSRP.
-Whether a compensator is worth the $$ and hassle thru the Feds and Class 3 FFL. Ive already
reviewed 14 different vids on the pros and cons. I for on want it quiet and accurate
to save my hearing.
-There is no such thing as "match grade" .17 HMR. Even Hornady in Grand Island, NE has
CCI making thier marketed versions.

So hope this thread takes off for the RPRR17 only. Im sure it will progress once we all make it thru the winter.

Attachments

• 8402.jpg
    8402.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 8420.jpg
    8420.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: Arkansas shooter
Op - nice info.

FYI - I know Clint Beyer has a RPRr and from what he has said plans on making barrels for them. If the RPRr17 is the same dimensions (which I don’t see why the barrel wouldn’t be the same) he will be able to offer a LW 17hmr barrel. No time frame and I have no idea how his 17hmr barrels shoot.

I really want to like this rifle. So far have been underwhelmed. If we have to replace the bbl, trigger and chassis (if one becomes available) to make it function up to par, then why not just build a great custom rifle? Sorry for the negativity. Like I said, It is a great concept and I want it to succeed. I just think that Ruger’s assessment of market expectations for their “Precision Rifle” diverge from my expectations by a small margin. I was all set to buy one until all of the issues emerged. Have competed against several and handled a few. They look the part.

I really want to like this rifle. So far have been underwhelmed. If we have to replace the bbl, trigger and chassis (if one becomes available) to make it function up to par, then why not just build a great custom rifle? Sorry for the negativity. Like I said, It is a great concept and I want it to succeed. I just think that Ruger’s assessment of market expectations for their “Precision Rifle” diverge from my expectations by a small margin. I was all set to buy one until all of the issues emerged. Have competed against several and handled a few. They look the part.
It's shoots great out of the box and is more than up-to-par for a mass manufactured rifle. See the RPRR thread of all the hands on reports. You don't have to replace anything. This thread is for known parts, accessories, and other issues for the RPRR17 only.

Also noticed the AR style grip is hollow with an opened end. Made that way for easy access to the bolt to upgrade etc. Be nice to have a "plug" or bottom cover to prevent caked dirt, debris, and critters making a home in there. :)

I must be the only one in the forum or planet that knows the RPRR17 shoot better that the .22 version. ANYONE with changes or the latest info for better cost-effective stainless match grade barrels for the .17HMR yet? (Lothar will ONLY make a 20" version, not the stock 18" length, at premium cost).

Thread from the dead, I got a RPRR in .17 earlier this summer and its been a great shooter, Really tightened up groups after about 50 rounds. shooting CCI Vnt 2650 for loads. Hitting sub 3/4" groups at 100 yds with it now. The thing is an absolute pleasure to shoot, topped it with a Vortex 5-25-56 Diamondback Tactical in MRAD reticle.

Reactions: Frankr
Thread from the dead, I got a RPRR in .17 earlier this summer and its been a great shooter, Really tightened up groups after about 50 rounds. shooting CCI Vnt 2650 for loads. Hitting sub 3/4" groups at 100 yds with it now. The thing is an absolute pleasure to shoot, topped it with a Vortex 5-25-56 Diamondback Tactical in MRAD reticle.
If you ever want a light weight barrel I think Clint beyer is making even 17hmr light weight barrels for the RPRr

I just discovered this cartridge and purchased one to give it a try. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. It is currently at my FFL waiting out the mandatory CA 10 waiting period. Looking forward to putting some bullets downrange.

Last edited:
I just discovered this cartridge and purchased one to give it a try. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. It is currently at my FFL waiting out the mandatory CA 10 waiting period. Looking forward to putting some bullets downrange.
They are a fun gun to shoot. Get a decent scope like an arken or vortex db tactical and you will be giggling with fun. Mine shoots about 1/2moa at 100yds on a bench and can easily shoot 1/2-3/4" groups all day long. SUPER accurate. You can get bx15 mags on line for more pew per load. the 22mag or 17 mags are the same. I have twins in the burnt bronze, a 22lr and 17.

Thanks. I am going to try a SIG Tango6 3-18x44 DEV-L MRAD and see how that performs. I have been shooting the RPR 6.5CM for years, so at least the platform will be familiar. I'm thinking of maybe a Titanium Blue Cerakote color for the chassis and handgaurd?