• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Definitive Overpressure signs

P7id10t

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2012
Portland, OR
Went out shooting today with buddies in a clear cut. 700 meters to air tanks with my Savage 110BA.
Had a batch of bullets I meant to pull from my load box, but had forgotten. My buddy loaded the magazine for me, including one of these in the batch.

The recipe that was supposed to be loaded was Berger OTM 300gr, 3.8830 COL, 90.4 grains vv N570. However, the next recipe in the list has 93.9grains N570, which I had loaded these to. Fµcking dumbass, and damned dyslexia. The first one I shot got stuck a few weeks ago. The one today did also.

Got the bolt back and the primer was still attached to the bolt face. Still have to get the stuck case out, but my dowel is shot.

P6080862.JPG
P6080872.JPG
P6080877.JPG

Maybe you should pull down those hot rounds before you do it a third time...?

I don't have any load data specific to those Berger bullets, but Vihtavuori's info says max with 300gr Scenar and N570 is 92.4. It's pretty obvious that 93.9 isn't gonna get it in your gun, so get those bullets pulled right away. I get a little careless with certain things sometimes, but I'm never careless about labeling my ammo. Keep your loads separated and labeled and you will eliminate the risk of this happening.

As I load I write the charge wgt on each case with a sharpie. Never a question what your loads are.

Hardmix

I'm I the only one who marks hots rounds and pulls down over max loads at the range?

As I load I write the charge wgt on each case with a sharpie. Never a question what your loads are.

Hardmix

I do the same on every case.
The dumbass steps here are multiple.
1) misread recipes in my notes
2) when the first case in the batch got stuck, I chalked it up to the Stuckage factor and did not examine the load recipe. I did examine the stuck case for pressure signs but it did not appear to be over-presured.
3) when loading my field box I did not pull the hot rounds.
4) I let my buddy load the rounds aware that sticky ones were there.

Interestingly, we were seeing POI = POA-2". The hot round seemed to be ~7" high ( estimate). That's what 10grs more will get ya at 700m.

Yes, I'm grateful nothing catastrophic happened. Time to adjust my procedures.

Your experience reminds me of my marriages. You were luckier. My second one cost me a house. :)

Your experience is something I have come to respect, here and on other boards (presuming your name is the same elsewhere)
That would be my first, plus a spousal support package that *still* chaps my ass. Yet, every attorney who has seen the agreement says, "you did well."
It's funny watching her do the antics she did with me to the two guys following me.

Hardmix

I've received a few pieces of brass in trade that had this done and I had wondered about it because most people I know who reload (myself included) normally just load a batch and put the load data on the box. I never really thought about if someone should get into my reloads and mix them.

Now I understand why and it makes sense. And I'll be using it from now on.

Thanks!

When developing loads, I write the charge wt on the bullet with a super fine sharpie. That way there is no chance it will remain after being fired to confuse things.

When I'm testing loads, I write the load and mark the target but don't examine my brass until it's all said and done. With a fat sharpie, if any load exhibits problems, bullet type and grains, powder and charge + col are all written on the brass.
That's how I knew exactly which bullet recipe I had shot with my stuck case.