• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Del Norte and Zia Monthly Matches, New Mexico

terrell35744

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
We have two great monthly matches here in Central New Mexico at Del Norte Gun Club and Zia Rifle and Pistol Club.

The Del Norte Gun Club Outback Match is a field rifle match that will engage shooters with non-traditional shooting positions, small shooting time frames, target location, physical exertion and mental concentration.
Matches will vary from month to month, but a basic equipment list should be as follows:

-Rifle 223-300 Winchester Mag no faster then 3200 fps (note smaller caliber rifle (ie 223 77gr) may not be able to make hits that are detectable to spotters. You may shoot these calibers but, you may not receive points if a hit can not be determined)

-Scope that allows shooter to make corrections to compensate for distance and wind

-Data for the shooter, gun, scope and load from 0-1000yds

-60 rounds of ammo

-No steel jacket or core ammo

-Food, water and clothing for 4-6 hours away from truck

-Meet up at the 1000yd gate at 9:00am

Entry fee starting in 2014 will be $10

Dates for Del Norte are
February 8th
April 13th
June 22th
August 10th
September 13th and 14th 2 day match prize match (date pending approval)
November 9th

I am the Primary contact for the Del Norte match and the club site is Del Norte Gun Club, New Mexico

Reid is the contact for Zia and he will get his information for Zia up soon

Thanks Sean

Last edited:
These are both great local matches for anyone near the Abq area and for those within a reasonable distance. Put them on your calendars now and come join us, we usually have between 10-16 and sometimes as many as 20 shooters.

CJW

Is there ever an issue with too many shooters. Id be driving in from Las Cruces and want to make sure I get to shoot! Thanks!

Never really an issue, never turned anyone away, we can easily handle 20 guys......we usually finish up around 2:00 pm and could break up into squads to speed things up if we had too......it's about having fun and helping everyone improve our game. Here's a link to the Zia calendar while Reid gets his update ready. Zia Rifle and Pistol Club

Feel free to PM me if you want to head up, Zia is right off I-25 south off Abq and Del Norte is a little further north. Let us know if your coming and we can make arraignments to meet you at the gates and let you into the ranges.

Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.

Thanks cwinner for the info. I shot at both ranges last June in the Score High Tactical Challenge. I loved the ranges and wanted to go back sooner but work crept in ;o). Ill be back at the Zia range in April for the NM Precision Riflemans Competition. Hopefully I can make it back up later this year to shoot those other matches.

Put the Del Norte September dates in your calendar now.......it should be a good one.

Are you going to shoot for the green in ok? I'll be shooting that one plus the CD match in Wyoming just before the NM tactical so it's fixing to get busy.......

The Zia Rifle and Pistol Club also hosts monthly matches.

We are working in conjunction with Del Norte to coordinate matche dates.

Although Zia is not a walk-and-shoot field type environment like Del Norte, our aim is much the same, as Sean says: a match that will engage shooters with non-traditional shooting positions, small shooting time frames, target location, physical exertion and mental concentration. Allthough we do it with a different format governed by our range, we strive to exploit every bit of potential our range has to offer.

The Del Norte matches are great field matches, and a good compliment to the more run-and-gun type matches put on at Zia.

In an effort to improve match quality for the shooters, we are focusing on putting on a more advanced match every other month, (durring those months alternate to Del Norte's matches), the other months we will hold practice shoots.

The dates for the main matches are:

March 16
May 18
July 20
October 19
December 21

Please come and shoot at both NM locations. We welcome all comers.
I will update if things change

Thanks,
Reid

This weekend, Sunday the 16th, we will be doing a practice shoot at Zia.

Starting at 9:00am we will have a mini match with about 6 good challenging stages that should be over by 11:00am.

Then we will have a bbq, (the weather looks promising), and after that we will have a practice session.

After lunch, for anyone that want's to stick around, we can re-shoot any stages that anybody wants to re-do, and we will break out any target presentations that anybody want's to try out.

Give us your ideas/thoughts, and we will shoot it. We can split up into two different groups with two different RO's, (Curtis and I), and do whatever practice drills / stages that the shooters want to try out.

And if you don't want to shoot the mini match, but want to practice, you can just show up at lunch time to eat, and then shoot with us at the practice session.

Looks to be a good time, and again, we welcome all.

Thanks,
Reid

Great 1/2 match today......ran 6 stages and cooked some braughts and hot dogs. Thanks to all who brought food. See everyone next month.

Here's the results.....total of 31 points
February Zia Match

Curtis W. 25.5
Troy L. 18
Mark Q. 17.5
Justin B. 16.5
Neil T. 16
Rick C. 15.5
Reid D. 15
Derek 14
Daniel 13.5
Travis 12.5
Brandon 12
Rick N. 11
Ron P. 11
Steve A. 10.5
Tate M. 10.5
Bruce 9.5
Diana 9.5
Tate H. 6

Our 660 yard cold bore shot today.

Reid smoked it!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L8gtgmH3YA8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Good shooting Curtis! Thanks for all your help, and everyone else too who chipped in and helped spot, etc. It was a fun time. We will do it again for sure.

Thanks for the cold bore post Rick. I think that was the best shooting I did all day, lol. First cold bore I've hit in months. That is a cool set up you have for you phone with the spotting scope. We thank you for your help at the matches with spotting and everything else.

Reid

Any issues with newbies participating in the matches? I live in Anthony and would like to make it to some of the matches this summer and give it a try. Been shooting for many years but never competed.

Last edited:
Any issues with newbies participating in the matches? I live in Anthony and would like to make it to some of the matches this summer and give it a try. Been shooting for many years but never competed.

No issues at all, come on out!

You will have a blast, I guarantee it

absolutely!
In fact, new shooters shoot for free their first time at Zia, so come on out and try it.

Last edited:
Thanks and will plan on participating. How would I get an idea of the course of fire so I won't be totally in the dark?

The corse of fire for zia changes every time so it's new for everyone each time and we get the COF description before the stage. To prepare for the match have 60 rds, a couple 5 or 10 mags if you have them (not required) , pen/ paper, shooting sticks, rear bag , binoculars , and data for your gun starting with a 100 yd zero going out to 850 yds in at lest 25 yd increments

If you don't have a laser range finder you can use one of ours

Sean

Last edited:
Sean:

Thanks for the reply and have the gear listed. Looking forward to shooting the matches and if I have additional questions I'll send you an email. Should be lots of fun. Take care.

I am glad there is a post about this, especially for both ranges. I am a new long range shooter(like really green, no distance data for my gun etc.) and would love to come out. I just picked up a M700 SPS AAC but found out my scope is broken(story in my into post).

I have a 3-9 hunting Leupold on it right now that works but it does not have a ranging reticle or quickly adjustable knobs. Does anybody in this thread have a cheap SWFA SS or equivelent that they woud be willing to part with for cheap to get me going?

Here's some sample stages based off the match we ran in January.....don't let the fact that anyone is new stop you, we're doing this to help recruit new shooters and help grow the sport. Please announce yourself as a new shooter and I promise all of us will help give you pointers to make you successful.
y7ehe5et.jpg
nuhajehy.jpg

CJW

That sounds like a blast. As soon as I can get some glass and something resembling a range card I will be out. Likely to a practice first.

Thanks Sean and Curtis for replying. Unfortunatly, I cannot give you the exact match, but Curtis's match description is a good example, of a typical Zia match. You will need to know your rifle's dope as Sean said, preferably in 25 yard incraments from 100 yards to 850, (hint, this month, you might want to know it a little closer than 100). It would be a good idea to bring a pen so that you can write your come ups down for each stage as you hear the corse description. Some guys like to tear off a piece of masking tape, and tape it to their forarm with the dope for the stage, so they don't have to rememer it all. The matches are a little fast paced for someone who is totally, new to the game, but you will like it. I try to give you enough time to finish each stage if you are dilagent and don't mess around, though there will usually be 1 out of 10 where you will have to hussle.

I remember the first one I ever attended was at Zia about 2 years ago. It was challenging, but I liked that. It really makes you learn and you will be a better rounded shooter for it. I always try to design the matches so that there is varying degree of difficulty. That is, a few of the targets will be relatively easy to hit, most will be moderatly challenging, and a few will be difficult. That way there is something for everyone, (the better shooters get a challenge, and the new guys don't get totally defeated). For the rest of us, it will be fun and challenging. If you are new, Please let us know who your are when you get there, and we will help you out with anything you need. So, don't worry, that you might not have all the right gear, just bring what you do have, and let us know if you're missing something; most shooters will be more than happy to loan you whatever you need. Hell, I'll bring an extra gun or two with ammo in case your's goes down.

I hope this gives you a good idea of what to expect. We look forward to seeing you all there. If you want to know anything more that I may have forgot, feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to discuss. Though, this whole forum / SH thing is kind of new to me, so don't take it the wrong way if it takes me a day or two to get back to you. I will reply.
Thanks,
Reid

accidentaly double posted that last one. oops, just deleted it here.

Last edited:
On the subject of what to expect, there is one thing I forgot. Expect to be shooting from positions other than prone off your bipod. Though there will be a good deal of that, we have a lot of different objects to shoot off of, and we also will usually include one stage with position shooting, (standing, kneling, sitting, unsuported prone). On top of that, there ususally are at least a few stages where we shoot off of different stuff. We have a rooftop, a shoot house, a simulated Helipad, baricades, barrels, and other various objects to shoot off of. there is even an old car that the 3-gun guys put out there we have too at our disposal. So, be prepaired to shoot from awkward positions at times. It is good practice, and we usually have a good variety of positions, and target presentations from stage to stage. Trust me, I aim to give you your five buck's worth, and agian, new guys shoot for free.

Reid

Justin,
lol, no not trying to be a post whore. I just don't get on here very often, and saw that I had missed a lot of the responses and needed to reply to some questions. Sorry, if I got a little long winded.
Reid

Justin,
lol, no not trying to be a post whore. I just don't get on here very often, and saw that I had missed a lot of the responses and needed to reply to some questions. Sorry, if I got a little long winded.
Reid

Your doin Gods work helping us new guys Reid. lol. It's appreciated.

-Dan

These shoots are fun and the competition is very stiff, as there are some great shooters that attend these matches! Having said that, the guys are awesome and will help you out anyway they can with your shooting, reloading, etc.

Great bunch of guys!

Just finished finalizing the COF for the Zia March 16th match. We will have 10 stages. Each stage, except for the cold bore, will be roughly worth 5 points with 1 point per target, though some stages/targets will be worth more/less depending on difficulty. 50 points max. Some stages will allow for multipule engagement, so 43 round minimum, 50 round maximum. It won't hurt to bring a few extra rounds though just in case, and also if you want to practice a little afterwards. We will be breaking up into two squads to shoot some of the stages simultaniously in order to save time and help move things along. Should be a good mix of target presentations and shooting positions. Show up at 8:00 to 8:30, shooting starts at 9:00am. See you all there.

Thanks,
Reid

Last edited:
Sounds fun. I think I will be in Moab for this one, but shooting for the next. Should have ammo loaded and everything by then.

I don't know that I have access to any of the range forums since I am not a member, but if somebody could put some feelers out on a SWFA SS in 10 or 12X that would be cool.

Here are the March 16th match results:

Sean T 32
Rick C 32
Justin B 25
Rick N 24
Steve A 23
Ron P 23
Bruce 22
Travis H 18
Reid D 18
Adam L 6

The BBQ idea worked so well last month, that we did it again this time. Thanks again to Rick C for cooking, and everyone else who pitched in to help RO, spot targets, and help out in general.

We had 10 shooters, total possible points was 50. Sean ultimately broke the tie with Rick on the shootout afterwards. Good shooting you guys. Be sure to make it out to the Del Norte match next month, April 13th. These are always a good time, Sean puts on one hell of a match, mark this on your calendar!

Thanks,
Reid

Guys,
The Del Norte Shoot is this weekend, Sunday April, 13th. Sean will be hosting a great match as always I'm sure. Please come out and shoot if you can make it.
Thanks,
Reid

Thanks for confirming the Easter Zia match, Ried. If I can't find anything else to do I might have to make a trip to Del Norte this Sunday if for nothing else than some BBQ! (I can't afford to shoot a match every weekend
icon10.png
)

April scores

Ed A 32
Rick C 27
Sean T 24 (308)
Troy l 21.5
Steve A 19.5
Tyler A 19
Bruce 17.5 (308)
John S 17.5
Travis H 17
Rick N 16
Justin B 15.5
Glenn G 9.5
Chasen N 6 (308)

June 22 will be the next match and we are working on having a team class in addition to the the regular course of fire that day. I will post more about it as we get closer.

Last edited:
We just finished the Zia mini match today. 8 stages, all steel. 100 to 780 yards. 40 points possible. It was fun. Here are the results:
1st Jessie 33.5
2nd Jason 28.5
3rd Reid 26.5 (223) AR-15
4th Rick 21
5th Curtis 15.5
6th Landon 13 (223)

I thought it was fun. Still can't believe I cleaned the Sticks stage. Thanks for putting it on, Reid.

Thanks guys. It was fun.

Sean, looking forward to your next Del Norte match, especially, the team event. I'm hoping that will be a precision rifle / AR-15 team, two person team; is that right? If so, sounds like great practice for the team shoot at Raton this August. You hear that Justin?

Reid

Del Norte June 22th Match, will have a team match class and the regular course of fire shot on the same day.

Team Class
Precision Rifle Shooter (open class rifle no larger then 300 win)
Carbine Shooter (semi auto rifle chambered in 223rem /5.56 77gr max, feed from mag, with a scope of at least 4x, no bi pod, only one optic)

The teams will start at 8:00 am
Teams will be started 15mins apart and scores will be a combination of hits made and total time to complete the entire course
The total course will be about 3/4 mile and is relatively flat for the majority of it
We will sign up faster teams to start first which will help keep the match running on time. Any teams that are caught by a following team will be timed out.

This is the general lay out of the match and may change ( times or scoring but not the weapon descriptions )

Then after the teams start we will have the normal individual shooters start. Not sure yet, but teams may be able to go back and shoot the individual COF after they shoot the team class if they want.

Thanks Sean

Last edited:
Sounds fun. No bipod on the carbine, looks like I will have to practice without it. Will the carbines be shooting all of the targets, or only the closer ones? Also, will the carbine have unlimited rounds?
Thanks,
Reid

The carbine targets will depend on the stage but on the 5-6 target stages the carbine would be shooting at the the closest 3 for example and yes carbine will have unlimited rounds.

It has not changed. It is still the 3rd Sunday of each month. You can always check the Zia calendar for match dates. This month's match will indeed be Sunday May the 18th.

There will be 8 stages worth roughly 10 points each, 80 points postible, total. Round count is 45 rounds, but as always, it won't hurt to bring extra in case you want to practice afterwards. I have a chalenging match planned that includes a couple of stages geared towards some of the bigger matches I've shot recently, (specifically, one each to simulate a stage from both the Rocky Mountain Steel Quest, and another from Butch's Belly Match). This should be a chalenging, but fun match. Bring all of your gear. There will be some tough targets, and some unusual shooting senarios.

I was wanting to BBQ again afterwards, but still need to find someone who can bring a grill. I'll update if we get this locked down for sure. On that note, I'm thinking I might ask the shooters if they feel it's a good idea to use some of the club funds to buy a grill going forward.

Match starts at 9:00 as usual, and you can show up as early as 8:00 if you want to help with setup. Please don't show up any earlier than that, as there is one stage that is meant to be a suprise, which I will be setting up prior to 8:00.

Thanks,
Reid