• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Delrin Stock vs Fiber Glass?

Tactical_Tom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
PA, Bradford
How good do you think delrin would work as a rifle stock? I am thinking about getting a stock made on a 3D printer out of Delrin the quality and price seems reasonable, compared with buying a stock. I would have to make the CAD myself, but I am more then capable of doing that on a weekend...

Re: Delrin Stock vs Fiber Glass?

I have machined some derlin my concerns would be:

-Weight, Derlin is fairly dense
-Derlin has a slick surface making finish and bedding challenging
-Derlin may not be as rigid as fiberglass ?

You could just run a .075" shell and add some pillars to the sides that would catch the filler. I would do some digging on coefficients of thermal expansion differences on your shell/filler/bedding materials. I have not run any parts on the printers, but I understand how they work, what I don't know is how well each layer bonds to the previous layer. There are adhesion promoters that should allow for a finish to bond well....it is worth a shot, for novelty if nothing else.

The stock would be made on a selective laser sintering machine. Its not like the older 3d printers. selective laser melting and elective laser sintering have come a really long way in the last few years. Expectantly since the Chinese started coming out with lower cost printers largest laser sintering system. Its not just delrin they can work with Nylon, poly-carbonate, ABS, Aluminum, Titanium, Stainless, Bronze. I am sure that the metals are more expensive then plastic, but now that I am thinking about it maybe a mostly hollow Titanium stock would be nicer...

Delrin will shrink over time as it dries out. I work with precision fitted delrin parts and it shrinks up to .010 within a year of manufacturing.

You won't get epoxy to stick to delrin. Delrin is also not as strong and heavier than fiberglass.

I agree with RPrecision, funk, and Retoocs. It would not be a good choice for a stock. To many negatives that outweigh (pun) the positives. Delrin always seems to have that slippery feel to it (because it is) and IMHO would feel very weird trying to get a good cheek weld.

Delrin will normally not take up too much water and size will be quite consistent. As far as I remember it is a bit sensitive towards oils used and might get brittle when in contact with the wrong oil. (sunroof switch falling off on golf) The other thing is it will flow under pressure. Not sure if you had them in the states but donkey years ago people stuck the little plastic hand in their car windows, while driving it the hand would wave back and forth. After a while though the hand would sink down lower and lower as the plastic would relax. Short term delrin is quite good and takes up good energy before it snaps ~ 90% elonguation if I remember right.
Glasfibre is a different animal. Fibers can be directed or positioned where the load will be. My stock has integrated carbon fibre pillars and integrated carbon wrapped recoil lug opening, fibre bundels running along the corners of the stock and so on. Different world.
edi

As cool as a ti stock sounds.....it could suck much bad if you were shooting in the cold. Would reeeeeeeaaaaalllllly suck to have your buddy pies on your face because it was frozen to the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As cool as a ti stock sounds.....it could suck much bad if you were shooting in the cold. Would reeeeeeeaaaaalllllly suck to have your buddy <span style="color: #CC0000">piss</span> on your face because it was frozen to the stock. </div></div>
Fixed it for ya. LMAO