• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dents on Shoulder

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
All,
I just FL re-sized 100 pieces of brass. The brass is once fired Hornady Match, that I got from my pd's sniper's. All fired in AE chambers. i use Imperial wax and try to only get it on the neck and the body, but I imagine the shoulder does get some too.
10 out of the 100 I felt indentations on the shoulder when wiping off the Imperial with a little alcohol.

Why is this happening? I can post some pics if that would help.

Thanks,
Jack

Re: Dents on Shoulder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have too much lube on the cases. </div></div> and/or the lube may be building up in the shoulder area. Try wiping out the die, and keeping the lub off the shoulder.

DSC03399.jpg

DSC03398.jpg

DSC03397.jpg

Here are the photos. I highlighted the indentations with magic marker. they did not show up well without.

Chad and baccarat,
Thanks for the input. I will give it a try. I do usually wipe the die out with bore cleaner after use. Should i do this during sizing of a large batch. I try to do 50- 100 round batches.

Also, are these cases trash? I believe they are, but would like your opinion. I have a supply for brass so 10 pieces are not going to kill me.

Again,
THANKS

No those cases are not trash.

You may load & shoot them & the dented areas will simply blow out once they are fired. This happened to me before & like others have already posted.....it's too much case lube. Just back off the lube, you'll be surprised how little is actually needed.

Nope, the brass is fine. As soon as you pull the trigger on it, it will be back to normal. If I start to get build-up in the die, I'll wipe it out as needed with a Q-tip. Just watch your shoulder, and if you start to get dents, then wipe the shoulder off some before you size the brass, and clean out the die again. Some calibers dent easier than others. Sharper angled cases and calibers with a long shoulder dent very easy, like some WSM cases.

The cases are fine. I had several 7 rem Mag cases do that with Imperial wax. They fire formed right back to normal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some genius in their R&D department put the vent hole right where the lock collar usually is, so it renders the hole useless.. </div></div>
LMAO! I have always wondered this myself! I have a die that will have a farting gas sound when you size a case.

Looks like to much lube to me as well. But should be fine to fire and will reform when fired.

Use less lube and keep it off the shouldure and necks..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of dies are you using? If you have RCBS dies, some genius in their R&D department put the vent hole right where the lock collar usually is, so it renders the hole useless.. </div></div>

I have Forster dies. I do see lube oozing out of the vent hole after about 20 rounds. I have been dipping/rubbing my index, middle and thumb in the Imperial wax and then giving the brass a rub down. Re-dipping with each new case. I will load some more this long weekend and try less lube. Thanks all.

Jack,

If you read the label on the lid of the can of Imperial Sizing Wax, it says 'Use Sparingly'.

Ergo, I suggest that you "use it SPARINGLY'ER" than what you've been.

One can of that wax (yes, the small can) should last you thousands and thousands of rounds. Not a 'keep it on the shopping list' type of item.

wink.gif

I'm not sure what is the 'foremost' warning symptom. The "oozing" out of the vent hole, or the somewhat uniform "dents". You should have neither.

Now, what you should be doing, specifically, is rubbing ONE finger on top of the wax. THEN, rub that finger onto your thumb, and another finger. THEN, you rub THAT onto the body of a round. Size it, and then rub THOSE SAME FINGERS onto another round. Size it too. Then, and only then, you should start to get the idea that you may need to take some more off the top of the wax.

Depending on the size and roughness of your fingers, you may be able to do 3 or more brass, with one 'loading'. You'll learn by "feel" as you resize.

You're only needing a TINY amount of this stuff. Very Tiny. Hope this helps, and let us know. Please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jack,

Now, what you should be doing, specifically, is rubbing ONE finger on top of the wax. THEN, rub that finger onto your thumb, and another finger. THEN, you rub THAT onto the body of a round. Size it, and then rub THOSE SAME FINGERS onto another round. Size it too. Then, and only then, you should start to get the idea that you may need to take some more off the top of the wax.

You're only needing a TINY amount of this stuff. Very Tiny. Hope this helps, and let us know. Please. </div></div>

Exactly.
And none on the shoulder.

I never lube above the sidewall.

I use RCBS Water Soluble Lube in essentially the same manner as most would employ Imperial. I just need a few drops on my fingertips for every dozen or so cases. That small bottle lasts a long, long time.

The RCBS comes off very easily; I just wipe the case with soft cloth dampened in rubbing alky.

The necks resize quite fine, and there are no dents.

Greg

+1 for the Isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin, I have used this DIY lube for the last 15,000 FL sizings and have not had a stuck or dented case. About 7,000 of the rounds were once-fired LC 308 brass. Put about 5 handfuls of well-tumbled brass in a plastic shopping bag give it a few squirts shake the bag.

Use rubbing alcohol if you can't find the 99% stuff the only difference in use is you will have to shake the bottle before use. For small runs of brass I use liquid lanolin the same way Imperial wax is used, I refresh the lanolin on my fingers every 4-5 cases.

Hope this helps,

wade

Thanks for all the advice. I just sized 50 cases using 1/10th of the lube I used last time. Verry little lube. All went very smoothly.
Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have too much lube on the cases.</div></div>

+1 on too much lube..