• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deploying with your own weapon????

Re: Deploying with your own weapon????

No worries. Nobody on this earth cares less than I do about taking your own gun so long as it's functional at the level you need it to be.

What I take issue with is some poor guy who does not know better seeing some barracks lawyer BS on the internet and think it's ok, then proceed to get fried because the other 99.9% of the military know it's not legal.

Bad info? No. People are giving what they know from there experience. Info such as this always needs to be taken with a grain of salt, personal experience doesn't mean that things happened by regulation or that the person is right. I suppose I shouldn't have stated it as a fact as I do not have hard evidence that actually shows the regulations allow this. Several here have seen when people have gotten authorization to bring there own weapon. I would say that it may be possible that whomever gave such authorization may not have had authority to do so but if the soldier has it in writing I would hope they let it go or at the very least let it fall on the person who gave the authorization not the soldier themself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What I take issue with is some poor guy who does not know better seeing some barracks lawyer BS on the internet and think it's ok, then proceed to get fried because the other 99.9% of the military know it's not legal.</div></div>

Nobody on here posted anything to the effect of: "Yeah, no problem. You can take a POW overseas with you and not get permission from anybody first". That would get someone in trouble.

Speaking to your chain of command about it and trying to get authorization is another matter altogether. 99% of the time they will just tell you "no" or that it is against regulations (which it is). But as anyone who has been in the military for a while knows there are exceptions and waivers to just about any policy out there.

There is always an exception to the rule.

General Officers are issued POWs (the General Officer M9 -- the serial number starts with "GO"). Once they retire they are given the option to buy it.

If it's not LAW (Title 10 US Code, "Armed Forces," or Title 50, "War and National Defense") there are rules, regulations, exceptions, waivers, and variances.

If you don't have it in-hand, then General Abizaid's last Regulation stands and is punitive. Violate at your own risk, but remember, "Big Boy Rules Apply."

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

Customs will definately go through the connex. That's where they found my mortar sight and confiscated it. It seems to me that, if you go the OK from the C.O. they you should keep it on your weapon. If customs asks about it, then the C.O. can vouch for it. Better yet, have the company armorer bring it back with all the other weapon parts.