• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Des Moines IA gun shops

wfjames22

trigger yanker
Minuteman
  • May 8, 2009
    SW TN
    Can anyone who lives in Des Moines let me know of a good gun shop in the area? I will be in the area working tomorrow and will have some time to kill. I like checking out gun shops in new areas.

Thanks,

Frank

Re: Des Moines IA gun shops

scheel's, maybe.

not a lot of gun shops in des moines really. i know a good FFL in the area, but he doesn't have a brick-and-mortar store.

I live in Iowa as well and I cant find a good gun shop either, the scheels in my area everyone in the gun section never asks you if you need help they are kind of like hiding and stand in big groups and talk

Gordy's gunshop.I think he is in Pella,Ia.He advertizes in Varmit Hunters Magazine.

Gabe's guns in Williamsburg has a good choice of tactical style rifles. Bushmaster, S&W, DPMS, FN and the like. That might be a bit of a drive for you though.

Gordy is more of a smith. I am not sure if he carries a lot of rifles in stock. He comes highly recommended among the benchrest crowd though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had some time to burn, so I went into Scheels. I have been toying with the idea of buying a fast twist (relatively speaking, factory barrel) bolt gun in 223. They had a new 700 SPS Tactical in 223 on sale for $499, so I snapped it up. Out the door it was $488 when you factor in tax and the $40 rebate that Remington has through the end of the year. I think I scored, now it is time to replace the stock and start working up some loads.

just hope and pray that remington actually follows through on the rebate.

standard practice for them to decide someone didn't file it exactly like they wanted, or (as in my case) they'll just flat out lie and refuse to honor it.