• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Desert Eagle 44 Mag

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Any thoughts on an optic for the DE44? I shot mine for the 2nd time in 15 years today and well...I had a hard time hitting the target with open sights. Mind you, it would have been easier if the 7 and 15 yard ranges weren't full and I didn't have to start on the 25. Anyway...any experienced DE shooters out there with optic advice would be great. Would also be useful to know what distance the open sights are set for.

And for those that own or have owned the DE, let me know your opinions. I have to admit, it is pretty cool when you're at the range and after your first shot everyone turns like "OMG...what was that!!!", but based on today I'm not sure I'll keep it. HK MK23 may be in my near future instead.

thx

Re: Desert Eagle 44 Mag

I've taken hogs with DE's in .44 and .50 with Iron sights out to 40 +/- yards no problem. Took some focus and concentration. I also used red dots the next year and shots off were faster and more accurate out past 50 yards. Since teh barrel is fixed you shouldnt have to many issues with bloing apart red dots as long as you use a good quality tube. If your running a MK VII or early your screwed since the barrel is dovetailed and requires a mount. Those mounts slip under recoil and if you want them to be solid you gotta locktitethem onto the dove tail. Pure suck. i tried a buddies with a Leupod scope and after 2 shots handed it back... scopes on pistols aint for me.

Hope that gave you a little info. good luck

Every time I shoot one I feel like I need to spend more time in the gym cuz their so freakin heavy. On top of that their triggers tend to suck.

They're neat but gimicky. It seems like I buy one once a decade for sheets and giggles then quickly tire of it and trade it off.

If you want to keep one in your safe for that purpose then go for it.

I have an older DE and it is the light weight frame so its not too bad to hold. On it I have a aimpoint. This combo seems to work well.
I also have a 14" barrel and on that one there is a Burris 1 3/4 x 4 pistol scope.

I have 2 DE's scoped 50AE and 44mag us burris 2 x 7 with see thru scope mounts allowing me to see gun sights as well as scope also used 3 x 12 both work excellent. have used on 6 and 10" barrels. Have bear hunted with the 50 and Tarr hunted with the 44 shot the tarr at 150yds. Heavy yes but with two hands pretty easy to shoot. And with aging eyes I have scopes on many hand guns. Have grwn partial to the burris 3 x 12 cant tell much diff with 2 or 3 power and when sighting in the 12 power really helps!

2009_11240024.jpg

How about this. I did drill a bullseye @100yds with it once showing off in front of the guys, luckily it was my last round and did not have to duplicate the shot.