• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Desert eagle .44?

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
Okay, so I know its a bit hokey but I kinda want one. I know jack about them, I hear different things but every time I meet an owner they are thrilled. So whats the scoop?

Re: Desert eagle .44?

I have cycled through two of them, both 44mag. This was before the 50 came out and both were on the old frame/slide. I used them for hunting, sold one then thought I needed one again and bought the next then remembered way I sold the first one...

They are nice. Well-made and run great as long as you use full powered loads. But man are they heavy even more so when you put a scope on them. The trigger may have been updated by now but the pull was 2 stage and heavy. I purchased a 10" barrel for one of them and was shooting 200 grain xtp's in the mid 1800fps that put whitetail down on impact, be they 25 yards or 75. When benched my two would knock your sock off accuracy wise. That hunting load above would group around 3" at 100 yards, out shooting my muzzleloader and shotgun at the time. (this was before the sabot's really started showing up and inline black powder was the newest craze, pre 209 primer days)

They are a hoot to shot near dark and the muzzle blast made a cool flaming donut. Recoil isn’t bad at all due to the weight and gas piston action.

Niles Coyote summed it up perfectly.

These are just fun to shoot. Lots of noise, fun muzzle flash with minimal recoil while shooting full power loads.

The best use I found with mine was to fire a few rounds to scare away the guys shooting their snubby .357s next to me at the indoor range.

They can be fun to shoot once or twice but after that they are just big and heavy. I have never owned one myself but have shot a few and thats my opinion

A co-worker has a DE in .357 and its a fun gun to shoot. That being said I always liked the DE guns for some reason. I ended up getting a .50 DE since my 500 S&W revolver needed company. I have not fired it a lot but its a large, well made handgun. It actually looks like a drill weapon due to its size.

I cant name one thing it does better than anything else except its a unique handgun with a cult Hollywood and shooter following. Its a far better purchase than a set of golf clubs and more fun.

I have the plain black 50ae and it was something I just needed to have. I'm almost 30 and grew up with these as a pop culture icon. I've shot maybe 50 rounds through it and it made me giggle like a little kid everytime. That's all the reason I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dang472</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the plain black 50ae and it was something I just needed to have. I'm almost 30 and grew up with these as a pop culture icon. I've shot maybe 50 rounds through it and it made me giggle like a little kid everytime. That's all the reason I need. </div></div>
Right!? Thats what I'm saying.

Yeah my buddy has a .50AE and it's just fuckin fun to shoot. There's no real world reason why you'd want one other than:

1. Have the money for it
2. Want one

Just go get one. You'll be happy you did and you'll smile every time that hand-cannon goes BOOM!
laugh.gif

My father-in-law has one and to me, it's really more of a novelty/range gun. As stated above - it heavy and the grip is huge...I have fairly large hands and have no problems with a full size Glock 21. I didn't find it comfortable to shoot at all (from the size & weight, not the recoil).

my $0.02

AvsFan
crazy.gif

I had one of the original when it came out in .44 mag. Probable the funnest gun I ever owned. Mag dumps are a blast. Accurate as hell too, you can hit at 100 yards with iron sights. just get it.

Is there a particular reason you want a .44mag? Do you already reload for it? If you are going to deal with the size, weight, and all the other ridiculousness of the Desert Eagle, I say go big with the 50AE.

i have one, its fun, way too heavy and slow and expensive to shoot.
pretty accurate for a handgun
i like it, but I probally will sell it, as it just collects dust

I want the .44 because I kinda want an intro to .44 mag and loading it. I have never really beem a big magnum shooter. I have fired most of them, save the 460 smith and 480 ruger. Ive really been a fan of the 44s ballistics for a while. My thought are, I would love to have a Desert Eagle and Ive always wanted a 44. There is endless load data for the .44, and it looks like one of the most fun magnums to develop rounds for.

Dont get me wrong, I am not bs ing myself, I want a desert eagle because its corny huge and probably because I watch way too many action flix. But if Im going to make a big purchase for sh$ts and giggles may as well have a cartridge I have a high interest in.

Sounds like a good plan. You will also be able to pickup factory loads anywhere in a pinch. I reload for the 50AE and there is only one location in 40 miles that consistently has factory 50 ammo on the shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingweb50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They can be fun to shoot once or twice but after that they are just big and heavy. I have never owned one myself but have shot a few and thats my opinion </div></div>

I have owned a 44 mag and a 357 and I mostly feel the same way. Big and heavy and I never know exactly what to do with it after a few range sessions.

I'm the same way. Would love one, but it's just not very practical unless you are defending your home against an elephant or something.

The Mk 19's should be able to convert from .50AE down to .44 and .357mag so just get the .50 and the other kits and you get three guns in one!
laugh.gif

Yeah the new ones can be converted between 50AE and 44mag with a simple barrel and magazine change. The 357 requires a barrel, bolt, and mag change. It sounds good but the barrels usually run almost $500.