• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Shooting Near Vegas

Arbiter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Tampa, FL
So this is a bit of an oddball question...

I'm wondering if any members here know of any good spots within an hour or so from Las Vegas to shoot long range (800-1200 yards) on public land. Are any of the areas up northeast of Vegas off of I-15 suitable for shooting on?

What I'd like to do is fly out for SHOT and take a day off from the show to go burn a few hundred rounds on steel at distances beyond 1000 yards out in the desert. Unfortunately I don't know the area from a shootability standpoint, and the local stores I've spoken with in the past aren't very helpful on the subject. It appears that a fair amount of the surrounding desert is NPS land, with a prohibition on target shooting. Any suggestions?

Re: Desert Shooting Near Vegas

Considering you are going to be on the strip, a better area would be down near Jean. I have shot to a mile down there.

PM me and I will get you more info.

Im in vegas right now for job training and will be relocating here in jan. I will also be lookig for spots. Good luck with your search!

My wife and I vacationed in Vegas in Sept. I remember seeing a range before Lake Meade and that area. The gun shops were ok in the city as we ventured out, the nicer they became. That or I was so tired from her dragging me to the Mile Mall and every Coach store she could find that allowed to me be more appreciative of a gun store lol. Enjoy your trip down there.

Hello, Jean dry lake bed is BLM land and people shoot into the adjacent mtns for back stop. There are several places that are >1k capable is the shooter is up to it in that vicinity. Another area of interest is in the northern part of Vegas near the same turn off as the landfill is another dry lake bed with >1k distances. GL.

It looks like BLM land is the only option; the state parks have an unwritten rule prohibiting target shooting, and anything owned by the NPS has an automatic prohibition as well.