• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SOLD Desert Tech MDR

565fitter

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
Washington, WV
Considering letting my Desert Tech MDR go. 20" 6.5cm barrel by es tactical and a 16" factory 308 barrel, both handguards included. $2400 No Trades

Attachments

• 20201121_085716.jpg
    20201121_085716.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Since you're just considering to sell it, let me persuade you not to. I have one in 6.5CM myself and have done a lot to it. I think that, if dressed well, you may be more inclined to keep it. Or at the very least, this will serve to motivate someone to buy this from you.
Vortex Scope - 6.JPG

After doing a lot to mine, I think that me getting the Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 3-18 is the primary way that I went wrong. Not because of magnification, but due to weight. Rather, if I got Vortex's new series, the LHT 3-15, that would have made a better match. While losing 3x magnification, the near 2 pounds of weight reduction makes that configuration a true battle rifle.

One thing that I absolutely do not regret about the way that I dressed my MDRX was putting an offset HS509T on it, using an Arisaka mount. The "D" in MDR should be taken advantage of. Even with the 20" barrel that I have, the overall length is still just at 30", which makes for still a pretty tight package that is useful for turns around tight spaces; and of course, offset red dots shine in tight spaces and corners. Moreover, the offset, when partnered with a mid-range optic--that tends to start at or above 3 power--there is no unutilized potential left from the MDR platform.
Vortex Scope - 4.JPG

The second best thing that I did in dressing up my MDRX was attaching the Fab Defense foregrip to the tall and thick, and otherwise unergonomic, suppressor compatible m-lock handguard. With the included thumb lever, the handguard becomes just as controllable as that of an AR 15.
Vortex Scope - 2.JPG

The second worst decision that I made in dressing up my MDRX was buying a non-QD bipod. I bought the Atlas B10 V8. It should have been the QD version--mainly because, although chambered in 6.5 CM, the MDRX is not primarily a sniper rifle. The bipod adds a noticeable amount of felt "drag" to pivoting the point of aim. Basically, I think the bipod is great for zeroing, target shooting, or maybe even hunting; but, for all of those situations, the assurance of a fixed bipod being on the weapon is really not necessary, because deployment of it in these situations is not significantly hindered by the added 5-10 seconds needed to reach into a bag pocket for a QD version. On the other hand, for the majority of emergency circumstances where the fitting choice of the MDRX made, the weight and space of the bipod would be a hinderance. In short, I recommend that an MDR owner buy a QD bipod to keep in a range bag, or go-bag if for an emergency situation at all.

Reactions: jd138 and Ctrapp
In case someone picks it up, I've got a 16" 5.56 MDR conversion kit that I'd be happy to sell for $400 - DT says it'll work just fine with the MDRX models as well.

(Sorry to hijack thread haha - I'll post separately in a bit)

Wish it was the 308 conversion kit bonesaw. I’d buy it. Fwiw My post 2019 mdr I got off a member here has ran flawless so far (not many rounds through it) mdr is way more ergonomic than the x95 I sold after receiving this gun.

Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6
I doubt you're looking to split this up, but on the off chance someone just wants the chassis, I'd be interested in both barrels and the conversion pieces (bolt, ejector and mag catch).

Interested in the 6.5cm barrel only if someone takes the chassis.