• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech MDRX ?

jeepnsammys

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
So the MDRX comes front or side discharge, im gonna buy one of these in 20" 6.5 Creedmoor whats the thoughts on these which configuration is better and why? where does the front eject discharge from? the front eject could be nice if it helps slow down the brass and maybe not lose so much or is this wrong way of thinking?? Let me know what your experience has been

As far as I know, side eject is only available for 5.56 kits. I asked them this specifically. Even if you have the side eject for the 5.56, you have to convert it back to forward eject if you want to use the other caliber kits. The forward eject doesn't launch them at all. They'll make a neat pile. It ejects "forward" from the side of your choosing. Its swappable side to side.

I have my issues with the platform and how it could be improved but I have had none of the reliability issues that have been shared. That being said, my experience is limited to the newest MDRX in 5.56 Side Eject. It runs like a top and I haven't been kind to it

Reactions: Blazin
My MDRX 223W runs fine with forward eject, suppressed or unsuppressed. I'm probably going to buy the side-eject conversion kit for $90 and see how that runs....

I have had my MDRX for over a year now. I have it with the 308, 556 short and long barrel, and the 6.5 barrel. Here's my experience:
Any jams I've had are usually user induced.
I did experience some FTEs initially which we'll call the break in period. After that this thing runs like a champ with all calibers. If I did have any FTE issues after the break in period like a mentioned I'm almost 100% positive it's from not completing a step correctly when converting it. This happened twice, once with 556 and once with 6.5 creedmoor but once I took it apart and reassembled it, it ran flawlessly. People have said it doesn't like the magpul 25rdrs for 308 and 6.5, but I just recently posted a video of it with the mag firing 25rds no problem. I had several friends on the camp shoot it too with no problems. Manual of arms is weird at first when you've been shooting an AR platform since 96, but the more I shoot it the more I like it and want to shoot it more than my ARs. I prefer it with the longer barrels because it's balance is better than with the short barrels. Even with the longer barrel, it's shorter than my 3 ARs with the stock extended to my preferred length of pull. Current configuration is in 6.5 20" barrel with a swampfox 1-10x. I plan on using to hunt hog soon. When you reassemble it has been my experience that if you keep the bolt to the rear while inserting and locking/tightening the barrel, making sure its seated correctly before you ride the bolt forward it'll work like it's supposed to, then I gently ride the bolt forward and change out the bolt, chute, etc. If you guys would like to see the video of it unloading 25 6.5 rds my profile name here is the same as my IG name.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20211014-011400.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211014-011400.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 949
Reactions: Edgecrusher
I have had my MDRX for over a year now. I have it with the 308, 556 short and long barrel, and the 6.5 barrel. Here's my experience:
Any jams I've had are usually user induced.
I did experience some FTEs initially which we'll call the break in period. After that this thing runs like a champ with all calibers. If I did have any FTE issues after the break in period like a mentioned I'm almost 100% positive it's from not completing a step correctly when converting it. This happened twice, once with 556 and once with 6.5 creedmoor but once I took it apart and reassembled it, it ran flawlessly. People have said it doesn't like the magpul 25rdrs for 308 and 6.5, but I just recently posted a video of it with the mag firing 25rds no problem. I had several friends on the camp shoot it too with no problems. Manual of arms is weird at first when you've been shooting an AR platform since 96, but the more I shoot it the more I like it and want to shoot it more than my ARs. I prefer it with the longer barrels because it's balance is better than with the short barrels. Even with the longer barrel, it's shorter than my 3 ARs with the stock extended to my preferred length of pull. Current configuration is in 6.5 20" barrel with a swampfox 1-10x. I plan on using to hunt hog soon. When you reassemble it has been my experience that if you keep the bolt to the rear while inserting and locking/tightening the barrel, making sure its seated correctly before you ride the bolt forward it'll work like it's supposed to, then I gently ride the bolt forward and change out the bolt, chute, etc. If you guys would like to see the video of it unloading 25 6.5 rds my profile name here is the same as my IG name.
Looks like you appreciate the rifle as much as I do! I've had 2x better the experience than I expected, especially in the handling and mobility department. Got myself the Mantis BLK LBL Bipod and I love it but considering that I want my MDRX suppressed and I want a lightweight build, I think that I have to let that go. May just buy another MDRX to fulfill a different role... Looking to keep my MDRX for more of a short-medium range application, and 12 lbs is my personal limit for that; to those who have not experienced the MDRX, 12-lbs here roughly feels like a 10-lb AR (the weight is disproportionately in the back...its physics),

To your point about magazines: I actually bought 8 25-rnd Magpul magazines and found that they work flawlessly, even to the extent that they reliably feed the MDRX when used to rest the rear end. Try the "PMAG 25 M118 LR/SR Gen M3 Window Magazine" if you haven't found any to work yet. The Lancer 25-rnders are said to work too, but you can buy at least twice as many Magpul mags for the same amount of money.
IMG-2978.jpg
IMG-2979.jpg

Last edited:
After break-in and thorough cleanings (which should be done to every rifle)
My MDRX a has run like a striped ass ape! 308 suppressed all day every day.
Don’t listen to the haters. DT is a very respected developer.

Reactions: DameLeche
After break-in and thorough cleanings (which should be done to every rifle)
My MDRX a has run like a striped ass ape! 308 suppressed all day every day.
Don’t listen to the haters. DT is a very respected developer.
What do you suppress it with? I'm open to the OSS and the Orion X, since they're flow through. The advantage to the OSS is that you can pair it with a QD flash-hider; with the Orion X, you keep a shorter OA length and reportedly much more sound reduction. Depending on your first answer, is flow through too much hype?

CGS Hyperion is supposed to flow through well. Waiting on mine for a 308 semi. Based on recent testing the Nomad LT/TI looks good for suppression, don't remember backpressure rating though.

This has been my experience with the MDRx 308 16" barrel.

Initially the magazine would eject after firing a round but I bent the magazine catch and desert tech is sending a new one so this issue is resolved to some extent. The original mag catch appears to be a bad casting.

The most persistent problem is the cycling of ammo. I have tried 308 Norma, Winchester, Fiocchi, PMC and 762 Magtec, Armscor, PPU. The gunsmith I took the rifle to after 400 rounds stripped it, cleaned it, lubed it and tested it on his range with the ammo he had and experienced the same issues. PMC and Winchester 308 ammo tends to lightly dimple and not fire the primer on the second shot chambered. When you rack it back to clear the unspent round it doesn't kick out like normal, even if you rack it fast and hard. The unspent round and the next round in the magazines end up jammed in the chamber. Only rarely will the 308 cartridge miss or get stuck in the forward eject system. And the most problematic 308 round is anything with a soft tip. The PPU 762 ammo is getting stuck in the chamber and if the gas is turned up too high it's ripping the rim off the cartridge. The other 762 ammo frequently gets stuck in or misses the forward eject system but cycles nicely if you leave the forward eject port off. I have requested information on if and how to purchase a 308 side eject panel but received no response. This would be an acceptable fix for the 762 ammo in my mind and I am willing to pay for it. I am not using a high speed camera but I suspect the slightly dimpled non discharge rounds might be the result of a double fire. I have since replaced the trigger with a Jard sear and have not tested yet but Ill keep you posted. Still no idea on how the rifle is putting two 308 rounds in the chamber. Update: third time out shooting with 200 rounds of 308 PMC solid tip, normal gas setting and the new trigger. First off the Jard Sear trigger came from the manufacturer out of adjustment, not your fault but while out of adjustment it produced the same 308 jam as I described above. fires the first round and click on the second round, when you eject the second round it is lightly dimpled. After adjusting the disconnect screw on the new trigger the riffle fires 308 PMC solid tip consistently on Normal gas block setting. 1 out of every 50 will still lead to a jam where there appears to be a misfeed issue.

On the first day of shooting I noticed the trigger would get stuck. In some cases just waiting a second would allow the trigger to spring forward and on others the rifle had to be tapped. Basically the rifle is acting as if I am holding the trigger for a prolonged period of time before resetting and allowing the trigger to be pulled again. Upon inspection the trigger rod that connects the front group to the rear assembly has metal burs on the rear of it that appears to be catching on the plastic guides. I removed the rod and polished it smooth. The rear trigger group once removed does not appear to be sticking or rubbing but appears to be wearing excessively. After the first day and 400 rounds the notch in the round pin where the hammer is mounted appears cut into by the trigger latch that is supposed to catch it. As I mentioned above I have replaced the trigger and this issue should be all but removed so this is just for your information.

Also on the first day one of the screws fell out of the left hand side of the rifle, in the desert, and was lost. The manufacturer replaced this on the first warranty claim.

On the second day of shooting the cartridge ejection port dust cover hatch started to fall apart. The pin worked it's way nearly out and it has never worked correctly since. The latch doesn't hold it closed when you want it closed and the spring doesn't hold it open when you want it open. The 308 cartridges appear to push past it regardless and I usually have it removed for the 762 ammo.

Initially the rear push pin was removed and reinserted relatively easily, but lately the pin is difficult to remove and the rubber butt stalk end and two halves of the rifle need to be squeezed and manipulated in order to reinsert the pin. I believe the issue above where a 7.62 cartridge was frequently getting stuck between the ejection port and bolt carrier might be putting outward pressure on and deforming the butt of the rifle.

Update!

After my last series of posts I received communication from Jeff Wood of https://coldboremiracle.com/ ([email protected]). Jeff let me know that he is Desert Techs go to repair man and that he could fix it.

I sent the rifle back to the manufacturer and they where supposed to send it off to Jeff for repairs. It took about a month and when I received it, the contents where in a new hard plastic case that also include a repair statement from Desert Tech. The statement indicates that a few parts were repaired or replaced and that the 25-round magazine I sent them was incompatible with the rifle as it holds too many rounds. Apparently, you may only use a 20 round or few magazines with this rifle and despite what all the advertisements say the 10-round magazine is the only one that shoots consistently. The statement also indicates that Desert Tech was able to accomplish his diagnosis of “good to go” after firing 20 rounds of 308 and 20 rounds of 7.62 x51... I’m Curious how he was able to diagnose the 25-round magazine and 20 round magazine after only firing 40 rounds but I’m no mathematician. They must have had a bad experience there not telling anyone about.

The freshly returned rifle appeared cleaned and well lubricated. Nothing was done about the factory trigger that appears prematurely warn. The Jard trigger works flawlessly once adjusted. The forward ejection panel that was giving the 7.62 x51 rounds so much trouble appears new and the dust cover flap is now working properly. The magazine catch latch was replace with one that does not appear to have the same poor casting as the original and did not need to be manipulated to work.

On the first trip out shooting after the rifle was returned to me it initially gave me no issues using 10 round magazines shooting 308 or 7.62 x51 cold. As I switch to the 20-round magazine, the gun is already heated up a bit and still on the Normal gas block setting, the 308 rounds start to jam towards the end of the clip (round 16-18). The old cartridge is ejected fine, but the new cartridge is only halfway in the chamber when the action slams closed on it. I adjusted the gas block one setting towards Advanced and I get the same jam. On the final Advanced setting of the gas block the 308 jam is reduced to every other clip. Switching back to 7.62 x51 20-round magazine I set the gas block to Normal and while still hot the 3rd round fired has the rim ripped off the cartridge and left in the chamber. After removing the spent cartridge and cleaning the chamber I call it a day.

The next day I go out and buy the exact same ammo Desert Tech used to test the rifle and two new magazines. The first two 10-round magazines of 308 go smoothly and then the first 20-round magazine of 308 jams like before on round 17. The second 20-round magazine and the 16th round in the clip does not discharge but instead gets stuck in the chamber with the action locked on behind it. So stuck I could not safely dislodge it or tear it down at the range. When I get home and tear it down, I discover the unspent round is the shape of a banana. I’m now getting ready to ship it back to the manufacturer again. I did not get to test the new 7.62 x51 rounds.

In short, this is a $2,500.00 rifle that fails at performing its primary task and the failure of which is somehow out done by its manufacturer who expects you to put over 1000 round thru a faulty weapon in order to make it a slightly less unreliable and do it 10 rounds at a time with multiple months long pauses in-between where the rifle must be sent back to the manufacturer for “repair”...

2nd Update!

As if this couldn’t get any worse, I received communication from Jeff that my riffle never made it to him, he was out of town on a hunt. Desert Tech had someone else perform the warranty work who was out of the loop on the issues I have been communicating. They obviously did not read the two page right-up I sent with the riffle. Furthermore after taking over a week to respond to me this is the response I received from Glen Fullmer after informing him with pictures that the rifle is still not fixed:

"Good afternoon Scott,
Please find the warranty claim form attached. If you will complete it and get it back to me, I’ll generate another RMA. Please note that if we can’t identify a defect in the rifle or duplicate the issues you’re reporting, we will charge for testing and evaluation ($50), ammunition used, and any shipping/repackaging costs. Thank you.

Glen Fullmer
Warranty Manager
Desert Tech
801-975-7272 Ext. 148
[email protected]"

I feel that if anyone should be charging for testing it’s going to be me. I have purchased 7 magazines and 1,500 rounds from 7 different manufacturers. So in summary Desert tech is continuing to take the approach of blaming the operator instead of the defect. They continue to negligently push a defective and dangerous product on it’s consumers.

On the first trip out shooting after the rifle was returned to me
HI Scott,

That's a real bummer about your troubles with the rifle and their warranty services. I can confirm that their warranty service department is severely lacking.

My one experience saw that they returned my MDRX with more problems than what it was sent to them with, with the rear butt-pad issue--that you also shared--being unchanged. They claimed to replace the butt-pad, yet the unique markings that show in original pictures remain on the one that returned--in addition to the same 1/4" gap between it and the receiver. One replacement that I believe they made is to the forward ejection chute ("FE"), yet it came broken or incompletely assembled. The flap to the FE chute moves freely as without the detent pin and magnet that comes standard with them. Also new when returned was a missing bolt at the end of the receiver. I reported these few problems to Desert Tech (specifically Tyler Harrison, the Warranty Manager [[email protected]]) by October 9th and have yet to hear back.

My MDRX and I are in a toxic relationship. This was my dream rifle. It became my only rifle. I continued to shower it with love (accessories and upgrades), meanwhile trusting that Desert Tech would fix the problems that they produced with it over time. The love does not seem mutual.

Gap plus no bolt.jpg

Last edited:
HI Scott,

That's a real bummer about your troubles with the rifle and their warranty services. I can confirm that their warranty service department is severely lacking.

My one experience saw that they returned my MDRX with more problems than what it was sent to them with, with the rear butt-pad issue--that you also shared--being unchanged. They claimed to replace the butt-pad, yet the unique markings that show in original pictures remain on the one that returned--in addition to the same 1/4" gap between it and the receiver. One replacement that I believe they made is to the forward ejection chute ("FE"), yet it came broken or incompletely assembled. The flap to the FE chute moves freely as without the detent pin and magnet that comes standard with them. Also new when returned was a missing bolt at the end of the receiver. I reported these few problems to Desert Tech (specifically Tyler Harrison, the Warranty Manager [[email protected]]) by October 9th and have yet to hear back.

My MDRX and I are in a toxic relationship. This was my dream rifle. It became my only rifle. I continued to shower it with love (accessories and upgrades), meanwhile trusting that Desert Tech would fix the problems that they produced with it over time. The love does not seem mutual.View attachment 7735160
That is horrible! I made a few t-shirts for friends and family to wear to the range and gun shows. I can't wait to display my mutual love.

That is horrible! I made a few t-shirts for friends and family to wear to the range and gun shows. I can't wait to display my mutual love.
Here's some hope: they have a brand new warranty manager, named Glen. Let me know if you want his contact email.

All hope is lost: Glen has been not handling my case since August. Thank you but no thank you. LOL

What do you suppress it with? I'm open to the OSS and the Orion X, since they're flow through. The advantage to the OSS is that you can pair it with a QD flash-hider; with the Orion X, you keep a shorter OA length and reportedly much more sound reduction. Depending on your first answer, is flow through too much hype?
I can say with the OSS BPR/SRM it runs great. Gas setting set to -N the recoil is no more than a 5.56. I too was looking at the Orion-X next.

Looks like you appreciate the rifle as much as I do! I've had 2x better the experience than I expected, especially in the handling and mobility department. Got myself the Mantis BLK LBL Bipod and I love it but considering that I want my MDRX suppressed and I want a lightweight build, I think that I have to let that go. May just buy another MDRX to fulfill a different role... Looking to keep my MDRX for more of a short-medium range application, and 12 lbs is my personal limit for that; to those who have not experienced the MDRX, 12-lbs here roughly feels like a 10-lb AR (the weight is disproportionately in the back...its physics),

To your point about magazines: I actually bought 8 25-rnd Magpul magazines and found that they work flawlessly, even to the extent that they reliably feed the MDRX when used to rest the rear end. Try the "PMAG 25 M118 LR/SR Gen M3 Window Magazine" if you haven't found any to work yet. The Lancer 25-rnders are said to work too, but you can buy at least twice as many Magpul mags for the same amount of money.
View attachment 7733837View attachment 7733838
Lancer L7 AWM mags work great.

I have two of the 308 MDRXs. One has ran great so far 200rds in. It runs with both Pmags and Lancers 25rds. The second one I own did not go so smoothly. Under the first 40 rounds the bolt broke. DT covered it under warranty. It also seems finnicky with the Pmags. The Pmags with the narrow wedge on the follower jam up on the last few rounds. Pmags with the wider wedge and Lancers work flawlessly. I also experienced a sudden increase in recoil. Before the gun's recoil used to shoot fairly well for a 308. Now it feels like I'm shooting a 12ga buckshot/slug out of it. I just cleaned the gas piston. Waiting to see what happens next time at the range.