• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech SRS-A2 in 300 PRC?

dymailbox

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
I thought I'd read about someone doing a Desert Tech in 300 PRC but can't find the reference now.

Is this combo possible with what's currently on the market?

Thanks,

-- DY

I chambered a PRC barrel for my A1. I don’t believe there are any issues doing a PRC barrel for an A2. The magazines are giant, so the cartridge fits easily. They feed and function normally.

75169B65-F489-412F-A52F-B80BCA900527.jpeg

1CD0F277-E5A5-49F9-AA24-F45C742B79FB.jpeg

Perfect - thx for the reply.

Did you already have a conversion kit, or did you buy the bolt separately? I don't need the barrel from the conversion kit, but I can't find anyone with the magnum bolt in stock.

Bolts are readily available from desert tech. That’s where I bought the extension, bolt, and magazine.

Ok - I'll try calling them. Their site lists them as out of stock.

I'm also interested in knowing the twist rate. I just talked to SAC and they have Bartlein 8 and 10 twist barrels in stock.

Nice setup Supersubes! What barrel? Contour? Twist? Bullet weight?

That started out as a k&P blank from ES tactical. It’s their heavy contour, which is 1.025 at muzzle. 6 groove cut rifled barrel with a 10 twist. Heaviest bullet I’ve shot is the 230 A-tip, which worked fine at my elevation.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Short action customs made this 300prc barrel for me.....is shoots like a wet dream!

Attachments

• 88117A4A-B21C-46B0-B90A-299D4AFCC5F7.jpeg
    88117A4A-B21C-46B0-B90A-299D4AFCC5F7.jpeg
    722.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 62D08DD6-DB1A-4FF1-BCBB-5603069965C2.jpeg
    62D08DD6-DB1A-4FF1-BCBB-5603069965C2.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 271
I thought I'd read about someone doing a Desert Tech in 300 PRC but can't find the reference now.

Is this combo possible with what's currently on the market?

Thanks,

-- DY

I have one and my Brother has one. Get a hold of Dane at DMR rifles. He has some in stock I believe. I have a 28" and my brother has a 29.5" tube. I love mine. It is a tack driver. Our loads are identical. So, if you get a barrel from Dane you can use our loads for the most part

I have one and my Brother has one. Get a hold of Dane at DMR rifles. He has some in stock I believe. I have a 28" and my brother has a 29.5" tube. I love mine. It is a tack driver. Our loads are identical. So, if you get a barrel from Dane you can use our loads for the most part
Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and picked up a 6.5 creed covert to play with now. I'm having a proof carbon barrel done in 300prc but it looks like I have a 3 month wait.

Looking to have a proof carbon done in 300 PRC for the SRS A2. Don’t have the rifle yet, as it’s a deployment gift to myself. I’ve mainly dealt with the 300 WM out of a couple Rem 700’s, and I was never quite pleased with the accuracy of the rifles. I hand loaded the 225 bthp and 225 eld’s for those with fairly good results, but the rifles were very finicky to load for. Any advice for my first time with the PRC and the SRS? I’m probably going to go with ES tactical for the barrel, on the fence about their K&P barrels or the Proof. Probably going to go 28”. I plan on loading the rest of my 225 stash before I try out any other bullets.

Be sure to take advantage of the copius amounts of mag room we have with our Desert Techs. I'm running the 230 A tips and have them seated loooong and there is still lots of room left in the mag. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I believe the 230's touched the lands when seated at 2.98" to ogive. I had Eric at ES Tactical make my 300 prc barrel, K&P. I like proof alot, but wanted the mass to help with recoil. I told Eric I planned to run the 230 A tips. Went with 1:9 twist, which seems to be pretty typical.

Last edited:
Awesom, thanks for the reply. How do you like the ES tactical barrel? Are you using the Lapua magazines for your SRS? ES tactical is looking like the way I’m going to go. They’re significantly less expensive than a lot of the other places I’ve had give me quotes. What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the PRC?

Just started load development. Accuracy so far has been good. Although I did start with way to low of a powder charge weight so most of my loads became “barrel break in” loads. Started at 74.5g of reloader 33. There isn’t a lot of reloading data for 300 prc and reloader 33 so I started low to be safe. Unfortunately it was way to low. Wasn’t trying to hard yet for accuracy sine I wouldn’t be using any of those loads. Next time out when I’ll try harder since my loads should be in the velocity range I’m hoping for.

As for the magazine. Yes, using the DT lapua mag. Tons of room and feed the 300 prc round just fine.

Eric at ES Tactical does an excellent job. He uses KP blanks and they shoot very well. Just took delivery of a 25 creedmoor barrel from ES.

I’m excited for the 300 PRC and the SRS. There wasn‘t a whole lot of data for the long 300 WM loads I had been loading. I think I settled on 75.5 of H1000 loaded .020 off the lands. I believe they were 2.914 to the ogive. That gave me about .75 at 100m so I’m hoping the SRS will be a good deal tighter than that. I like the 300 WM but dealing with the belt is kind of a pain for brass life. Looks like I’ll be able to go a little longer with the rounds and probably a little bit more velocity. I had to slow fire my hand loads in the summer, after about 10-15 pressure signs came on pretty strong. I think I can get the same or higher velocity and avoid the high pressure with the 300 PRC. I am interested in the average accuracy of these rifles with larger groups. I tend to shoot 10 round groups once I’ve got a good load so when I start pushing out to distance I know how it’s going to behave when it’s hot.

Hows the weight with the heavy 1.025 barrel? That looks like the route I’m going to go as well. Thinking about having it threaded 3/4x24 to keep a little more material at the muzzle since the suppressor I have is rated to 338, and the 3/4 adapters seem to be a little easier to find.

I haven’t weighed my barrel, but it is heavy. I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted a heavy barrel to help with recoil. I use 3/4x24 muzzle threads on the majority of my barrels these days. Lots of brakes with that thread pitch and I like having a little extra material.

I have several barrels from ES and have a hunting .308 barrel in a left hand twist for my Savage coming. All of his barrels have shot lights out. I too am looking to get into the 300PRC for my SRS A1 as well.

I’m excited. I bought the 6.5 CM MDRX to go with the 308, and now the SRS should be a welcome member of the family. I’ve been wanting an SRS since they came out and finally saved enough to get one. I’ll probably end up getting a 6.5 cm conversion kit through ES for practicing and if I ever get the time to get into PRS.