• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deserted in a wilderness, which caliber would you?

Re: Deserted in a wilderness, which caliber would you?

I would take my AK-57,Uzi, Radar, Laser, Triple Barrel, Double Scope Heat Seeking Shotgun
laugh.gif

Aron-

Actually , I would look at a small but powerful round , 22 hornet , not much bigger than LR or mag rimfire , but a massive improvement on reliablity , range and power , could easily carry a ton of ammo for it .

A short CZ rifle , barrel cut to 18-20 inches and a suppressor , would suit me .

Later Chris

my vote is for .22 and a 30-06 rifle. You'll have everything covered then. Or shotgun instead of the 30-06 for birds/fowl.

Picked 308 but I am definitely on the 22 bandwagon. You could carry thousands of rounds, just hope you don't run into a bear, that is why I picked the 308, best of both worlds.

Contender carbin and feed 22Khornet kill if used with skill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EMorr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">abandoned in an unknown wilderness with an unknown amount and size of animals (No Dinosaurs
eek.gif
)
</div></div>

12 ga... works on everything big or small

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddief</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 rimfire </div></div>

yep.

1st choice- .22.
2nd choice- .308 solely based on ammo availability.

I saw a show about some people that tried living in the Alaskan wilderness for a while and the guns they had were over and under rifle/shotgun combination. I would want something like that for the wide variety of animals it could take in one platform.

If I could only have one caliber I would probably choose .223. It's big enough to take most animals but not too big to ruin the meat of the smaller ones.

.22 RF

Savage 24-D over and under 22mag/20 gauge,would be the way to go,for the money and versatility.
But for me it would be a Wild West Guns Co-pilot in 45/70 and a little S&W or Ruger wheel gun in 22 mag.

put me in for a .50 BMG... why?

1. You could sit on top of a hill and poke a hole in pretty much anything a VERY long way off.
2. If anything were to attack you at close range, the shear noise that damn thing makes would deter most critters.
3. Use it to start fires with the muzzle blast.
4. A distress signal to nearby jets.
5. Depending on where yer at... fire it into the ground... might register on the Richter scale.
6. It's a .50 dude come on!

It doesn't really matter what you have. Most any firearm will work. Just use it to shoot something out of season, preferbly a spotted owl and a game warden will show up within about 6 or 8 hours and rescue you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It doesn't really matter what you have. Most any firearm will work. Just use it to shoot something out of season, preferbly a spotted owl and a game warden will show up within about 6 or 8 hours and rescue you.</div></div>

GOOD ADVICE !

If it is an unknown wilderness on earth I would not want to have just a 22LR I would vote 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the "set amount of ammo" plays a large part...need to know if its weight or round count if its round count id go with 338lm just cause its big enough for anything - reaches far enough for anything and even with small game just head shot it and you still have meat/skin left over :p </div></div>

This was my first thought as well. If I get 100 lbs of ammo, something like a .223 looks a lot better than .308 or bigger. In reality, I'd probably prefer something like a 6.5 Creedmoor that will kill most anything, and be easy to shoot at different distances.

I think it would be hard to beat the 22lr and a 12 gauge. That would take care of about anything except Zombies??

Now if we are dealing with Zombies then I want to re-think my choices!!lol

To many unknown's for me. If I was going to be stuck in the woods where I live for whatever reason I would go .223. Stranded means walking and I don't want to lug around too much heavy weight ammo. .223 is the smallest round I would be comfortable taking 2 and 4 legged animals with depending on the reason that I was stranded. In an area with bigger 4 legged predators I would probably pick a different caliber.

20ga, with #6 shot, #4 buck, and slugs.

If I could have a second, a .22LR; and a third, a .30-'06.

I picked .308 not extremely heavy, takes down just about everything on the planet with good shot placement, and is very accurate. I guess if you were worried about spoiling your rabbit dinner then just aim for the head.

22 Mag with out a doubt.Killed more deer with that than any centerfire I own.Should take anything with an eye shot.

Well...375 H&H world standard..anything big to small and all in-between.

12 Gauge, buck shot, bird shot, slugs. You have everything covered from Water Fowl to big game.