• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Designing a rifle chassis for Savage MKII

defcon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
California
I bought a Little Machine Shop Hi Torque Mini Mill a few months ago and I got my tooling sitting in the garage.

So I'm ready to go.

480.3990.jpg

I'm starting to draft up some sketches for the skeleton butt stock.
My workbench is arriving next week so I'll be starting to cut some chips by then.

The style that I'm going for is the futuristic XLR/KRG style chassis.

So it's different types of polygons, angles, and holes.

I want this to be interchangeable with the main chassis so it will be bolted on with 2-3 screws to the chassis.

It will have adjustable LOP, cheek weld, and mono pod.

Did this in photoshop during work.
14991013751_867a8713ea_s.jpg

Got home and started free flowing with Solidworks. Working on designing the main chassis tonight.

14973105076_3d40df75f2_c.jpg

14809443920_778f060cc4_c.jpg

14996085985_820982550d_c.jpg

14809497738_b64615ef50_c.jpg

what would be really sweet is a modular "center section" where the barreled receiver attaches.

from there have the center section able to accept off the shelf AR buttstocks, grips, and forward stocks. sort of like a mcree or XLR chassis

if enough room, the ability to add your stocks too, maybe a folding adapter, etc.

that would be great if you decide to make & sell 'em

i made a mistake of swapping out the AICS airsoft stock (then selling it) for a tacticool on my CZ - when it was nestled in the AICS airsoft aluminum block it was definately more consistant. it's now REALLY sensitive to weather and mounting bolt torque and looks like i have to end up at least pillar bedding the tacticool.

what would be really sweet is a modular "center section" where the barreled receiver attaches.

from there have the center section able to accept off the shelf AR buttstocks, grips, and forward stocks. sort of like a mcree or XLR chassis

if enough room, the ability to add your stocks too, maybe a folding adapter, etc.

that would be great if you decide to make & sell 'em

i made a mistake of swapping out the AICS airsoft stock (then selling it) for a tacticool on my CZ - when it was nestled in the AICS airsoft aluminum block it was definately more consistant. it's now REALLY sensitive to weather and mounting bolt torque and looks like i have to end up at least pillar bedding the tacticool.

thats what im working on. its a block template that will fit a 10/22, Marlin 60, Marlin 795, Marlin XT-22 and the Savage MKII

this block will bed any of these actions will bolt into the main chassis.

i have the plans to convert this to a CNC so i might sell them in the future as i gain more experience and funds.

Last edited:
I hope this chassis system works out, defcon. I use the XLR on my Tikka 308, and am interested in having one like it for my Savage MKII.
Keep us up-dated on your progress.

I hope this chassis system works out, defcon. I use the XLR on my Tikka 308, and am interested in having one like it for my Savage MKII.
Keep us up-dated on your progress.

thanks. im confident it will work out. eventually ill be doing videos during the design and milling phases.

here's my XLR Carbon for my Rem 700 .308. im using this for inspiration.

maybe later on ill design one for my Rem 700
15039882925_20037f0529_c.jpg

thanks. im confident it will work out. eventually ill be doing videos during the design and milling phases.

here's my XLR Carbon for my Rem 700 .308. im using this for inspiration.

maybe later on ill design one for my Rem 700
15039882925_20037f0529_c.jpg

If that don't inspire you, nothing will!