• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Destroyed Jewel triggers

Smithcollector

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2009
    Georgia
    Last week I chambered a bullet seated into the lands and then tried to extract it, dumping a case full of powder into my single shot Surgeon action. I couldn't even close the bolt before cleaning it out.

I thought I cleaned everything up thoroughly, even taking the bolt apart and wiping it down. When I put everything back together, I fired one shot and the trigger wouldn't cock. When I took the action out of the stock, a small part fell out of the trigger.

I recleaned everything as best I could, put in another Jewel, and fired one shot- same thing happened, even to the point of the same little part falling out of the new trigger.

Any idea what I've missed?

Reactions: fclassparadise
    I don't know what its called, there are two of them that each wrap 1/2 around one of the large pins that is visible between the side plates. there is a notch in the side of the part.

I don't understand the connection between dumping powder in the chamber and having parts of two separate triggers falling out after one shot each.

Does it look like this?
    download.jpeg

I've broken 2 triggers (in exactly the same way) in two shots fired from this rifle. Any idea what could be causing that? I'm afraid to put in a third, might break it as well

Are your shot primers whole? Or did you blow a hole in them and let all that plasma and pressure run down the bolt and exit into the trigger?
    Because puncturing primers is the only way I’ve heard of people breaking that.

What action? What are the load details? Were the triggers actuating before you blew em up? Did they dry fire fine?

Spife I appreciate your help

Primers are fine, it’s a moderate 223 load I’ve used for a while. Surgeon single shot action

The sequence was
    1) stupidly ran bolt on chambered round that was loaded long ie into the lands, dumped powder
    2) cleaned out all powder, took barrel off to clean, took out firing pin assembly and wiped down.
    3) action ran fine, trigger functioned normally with dry fire
    4) fired 1 shot, jewel trigger wouldn’t cock, when took action out of stock notice the broken trigger part
    5) replaced trigger with another jewel, fired 1 more shot, new trigger wouldn’t cock, found broken trigger part again
    6) can’t figure out how powder dumping could break two triggers unless loose powder somewhere is falling in when rifle is fired?