• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Detachable mag set-up for the .260 in LA??????????

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I am building a 260 on a long action and am looking for detachable bottom metal. Is this available somewhere??? Thanks for the help

Re: Detachable mag set-up for 30-06?

Badger or CDI, you will have to modify the lips of the 300WM mags though.

BTW why you thinking LA for your 260?

um.. .260 rem is based on .308 win case... so why are you looking for a bottom metal for .30-06 unless you're confusing it with the .270 win

If you build the 260 on a long action you have plenty of room to throat out the chamber and run the cases very long with heavy VLD's (over 3.00")

If this is a Rem 700 you should take a look at the Kwik Klip bottom metal. It's sold by Cabela's. I like the set I have, it's not built like Bagdger for sure, but I haven't had any reliability problems with it. The 260 will fit in it very well. The internal mag length is only 3.325" which screws my 30-06 based cases.

EDIT: If you ever decide to build a 284 Win or a WSM case of some flavor this bottom metal will work dandy for you.

Yeah .260 is what I am looking at. I have an extra 700 long action waiting to be used. It would work great because I would be able to seat the 140's waaaay out there. I was thinking about the 284 too. Right now I am stuck on the 260 though. The 260 and 30-06 are pretty much the same exept the 30-06 is longer. That would mean a 260 case would feed very well from a 30-06 type bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah .260 is what I am looking at. I have an extra 700 long action waiting to be used. It would work great because I would be able to seat the 140's waaaay out there. I was thinking about the 284 too. Right now I am stuck on the 260 though. The 260 and 30-06 are pretty much the same exept the 30-06 is longer. That would mean a 260 case would feed very well from a 30-06 type bottom metal. </div></div>

Yep, you're spot on the money.

I am runnin a GAP 260 in the SA DBM with 140's and getting 2800fps out of it. I dont see what you would gain in a LA.

Either way like I posted before you can modify the 300WM AICS mag for this use and it will work well once you find the spot.

I already have a long action in my hands. I don't want to buy a short action.

So what I am hearing is that I have to modify something??? Is this right????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what I am hearing is that I have to modify something??? Is this right???? </div></div>

yeah pretty much, I think maybe the HS system offers an '06 mag setup, but to go to the AICS system you have to adjust the lips on the magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what I am hearing is that I have to modify something??? Is this right???? </div></div>

yeah pretty much, I think maybe the HS system offers an '06 mag setup, but to go to the AICS system you have to adjust the lips on the magazine. </div></div>

Agreed. The AICS is the way to go here. But due to the fact the 300WM is a wider case the lips will have to be modified to hold the smaller 260.

I think if you are going this route, I'd consider the 6.5-284. Same bolt face, takes advantage of the LA, and shoots the heavy bullets better. You will sacrifice barrel life, but they will always make more barrels...

Brand thanks for the idea. I would go for the 6.5-284 but would like better barrel life as I see myself shooting this gun more than anything else I have. .260 seems to be a great round for all around use. I don't really need the super long range ability of the 6.5-284 as I have a 338 lapua for that. Please don't get me wrong. I love the ballistics the 6.5-284 provides I just think the .260 will get me to 1000 yards just fine while have twice the barrel life. Does this make sense or am I way off base here???

That would be intersting in a long action. My .260 loves the 140 A-max and it is seated way in the case. I would be curious to see the results in both speed and accuracy. Keep us updated.

JamieD

How about a straight .284Win with 168/175's? It'll match the 6.5-284 with better barrel life.

jc, the KwikKlips will run a 260 no problem. I shoved a few into the 4 and 10 round mags that I have and they fed out of the magazine without a problem. I can't fully cycle them into the action because they stop partway into the 6.5-06 chamber, but until they stop in the chamber the mag provided no issues.

The 260 will get to 1k without any trouble and running 130 JLK's instead of 140 Bergers or 140 Amax's will net you even more speed. I've shot my LR-260 with 24" barrel to 1k without any trouble at all using the 123 Amax. It was quite reliable, putting a heavy VLD in there with the mag capacity to seat them long and maximize the powder capacity would be a very good combination.

I am planning on using the kwik klip system on my current build. 260 long action predator, 25 brux, manners gat, kwik klip. I am also going with the kwik klip on my 7-300wsm. Same setup as the 260. Trying to keep it simple.

300 win mag magazine with lips adjusted. just a little tweaking and your all set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK what happens if I change my mind to a .284???? </div></div>

The body of the 260 is .042 smaller than the 300WM. Consequently you will need to bring the feed lips in quite a ways.

The body of the 284 is only .012 smaller than a 300WM. The lips may need a very, very small bit of adjusting. I've seen 300WM bottom metal used with the 6.5-284 that wasn't even messed with. I can't say for the Badger however.