• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Detailed picture of MWS barrel extension system?

xBabyJesus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2009
Monroe, WA
I'm trying to find a decent picture (or diagram) that shows how the LMT MWS barrel capturing system works. Based on what I've seen online, it's a radial clamp like a large hose clamp?

One of the thoughts kicking around in my head is -- why does the barrel extension have to be so big/heavy. Which inevitable leads to -- can a guy lighten it, without compromising the system? I don't understand fully how it works.

Thanks,
John

Re: Detailed picture of MWS barrel extension system?

Yup a large clamp. Slot on the bottom, two bolts across the bottom, and a large barrel extension it goes around.

What specific do you want to see?

I'm wondering if all the metal is required for "strength", or if the large barrel extension is just for more clamping surface area. Idea -- could someone make a titanium or aluminum barrel extension, allowing any AR10 barrel to be used, and get the weight down? I was thinking a 16" fluted Rock barrel with an aluminum extension would get the system down under 8lbs before optics -- awesome for multi-use and shouldering.

I posted this on pg 3 of the MWS thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt time it with a stopwatch but it honestly takes about 2 min to remove and replace the barrel. Thats taking your time and drinking a scotch to boot.

Safety first ensure its unloaded.

DSC00434.jpg

Next loosen the rear pinch bolt with the included torque wrench.

DSC00436.jpg

Now the front bolt.

DSC00437.jpg

The front bolt is the only one that needs to be removed as it also serves to index the barrel.

DSC00438.jpg

Now remove the barrel by pulling out the handguard. The gas tube is supported at the front and rear and is pretty susbtantial but you should still be carefull to not damage it when removing and installing.

DSC00439.jpg

OK so here is the source of the weight, as you can see there is substantially more meat to the assembly than the normal barrel and extention set up used on other Stoner platforms.

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

Reassemble in reverse order torque to 140 in/lbs. </div></div>

As for making the extention from aluminum or Ti...Ti would be an option but I wouldnt go for aluminum.

While the extention is large and bulky (heavy) I think the large clamping surface area is a big reason the rifle is so accurate. I think aluminum could easily get damaged and possibly have the cross bolt slots "egg" out and allow some slop in the fitment.

DBMG is in Kent not too far from you. They are doing MWS conversions to AR-10 barrels as we speak. In regards to Ti it is possible but it would most likly cost more than their standard conversion which is just shy of 200.00.