• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Detection System Detects Rifle Scopes, Binoculars

Phil1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Minot N.D.
TAMPA — A San Diego-based small business called Torrey Pines Logic displayed a small, mobile optical detection system at the Special Operations Forces Industry Conference here. It emits a laser pulse to detect nearby surveillance gear such as cameras, rifle scopes or various observation lenses.

The Beam 100 Optical Detection System is engineered to detect optical targets out to just beyond a kilometer, providing a protective envelope for forces on a Forward Operating Base or small units on the move in a fast-moving tactical situation, said Russell Purcell, Lead Engineer, Torrey Pines Logic.

In essence, the technology is designed to let forces know if they are being “surveilled’ or watched by a nearby adversary or potential adversary, Purcell explained.

“So the laser pulse comes in and reflects off of each piece of glass inside a lens. Return pulses create a signature. The receiver captures and analyzes that signature. You don’t get glass, bottles and non-optical devices. If you get a detection is going to be an object of interest to you,” he said.

The Beam 100, which continuously scans a 360-degree field of view, is connected to a computer which uses algorithms, software and digital mapping technology to geo-locate the origin of the signature of the optical device in the area of interest, Purcell added.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2013/05/15/d...fobs-from-cameras-rifle-scopes/#ixzz2bRTn1e3f
Defense.org
http://defensetech.org/2013/05/15/detection-system-protects-fobs-from-cameras-rifle-scopes/

ok i'll play...generally thinking here, and i know nothing of this system, its capabilities etc, but wouldnt the "optical" device have to be oriented in a way that is at least RELATIVELY close to or directed at the scanning device?

The article says "the laser pulse comes in and reflects off of each piece of glass inside a lens. Return pulses create a signature. The receiver captures and analyzes that signature. " so....if I am looking through my optic, and this device is at even 15* off centered of my optic its not going to see me because it wont be able to see "each piece of glass inside a lens" and realize what it is???

Am I thinking this through right??? Does someone need to come out with stealth technology for rifle scopes and binoculars? or is the sun shade industry about to take off like a 747?

I have a solution and it will only cost you $100! I have engineered an anti-detection system shield for your scope! Order now I'm sure they will sell out fast!
Read between the lines: piece of panty hose stretched accross opening of scope! Rofl....

Reactions: Maddog51
ok i'll play...generally thinking here, and i know nothing of this system, its capabilities etc, but wouldnt the "optical" device have to be oriented in a way that is at least RELATIVELY close to or directed at the scanning device?

The article says "the laser pulse comes in and reflects off of each piece of glass inside a lens. Return pulses create a signature. The receiver captures and analyzes that signature. " so....if I am looking through my optic, and this device is at even 15* off centered of my optic its not going to see me because it wont be able to see "each piece of glass inside a lens" and realize what it is???

Am I thinking this through right??? Does someone need to come out with stealth technology for rifle scopes and binoculars? or is the sun shade industry about to take off like a 747?
You are likely correct, but if you are looking through any piece of glass optics at the person or group using this device, your lens will be detected.

You don't want to be detected, then don't look at them. Kinda simple really. It won't detect the optic that is pointing away from the device or the one in your bag...

I have a solution and it will only cost you $100! I have engineered an anti-detection system shield for your scope! Order now I'm sure they will sell out fast!
Read between the lines: piece of panty hose stretched accross opening of scope! Rofl....

While I agree that the above system is likely more hype and/or easily defeated with panty-hose and the like but it is also very plausible that it isn't. I took a few Lockheed Martin space propulsion classes during my undergrad days and without out going into detail, there are a lot of things that specific wavelengths of light will penetrate as if they're not even there, i.e. pantyhose/grass/etc.. Now I don't know what this system is using but it's very possible that they're using the right wavelengths. Really this system is just radar but operating on a different wavelength.

Reactions: Krawlven
Here is a handheld version of the same system from the same company.

Mirage-1200.wmv - YouTube

VIP security
Sniper detection
Video & photography detection
Border protection
Security of important locations
Fast scanning capability
All weather 24-hour surveillance
Vehicle or pole/building mounted
Detection of cameras & scopes
Monitoring & automatic alerts

TPL currently is producing next generation model after Mirage, called Sentinel.
Detection range 1,200m
Field-of-View 4° 30’
Size 3” x 5.5” x 12”
Weight 2.2 kgs (4.8 lbs)

... there are a lot of things that specific wavelengths of light will penetrate as if they're not even there, i.e. pantyhose/grass/etc.

Correct! There are many materials that are opaque to visible light yet transparent to infrared, and vise-verse. I'd imagine that such a system would make use of multiple wavelengths in order to maximize the chances of detection.

Will killflash type lens covers defeat this sort of system? If panty hose works, I would presume that killflash would work even better.

Just a matter of time before someone invents the 'anti-detection beam' coating for glass. I love Capitalism!

Because just like radar, nightvision and everything else; as soon as your enemy gets ahold of it too, its no longer fun.

I wonder how big a component has to be to be detected, and how close.

I tend to think something like this is your best bet. I can't find a picture of the cap the Germans put on the front of ZF4 scopes mounted to G43's. Similar concept.
jarhead-7.jpg

I don't think this system can be defeated by making the glass smaller or hiding parts of it. From reading the article it specifically said that you do not get a hit on glasses since you get a signature return from optics.

All you'd need at that point is something that masked or changed the signature.

Yep, I'm thinking a long sunshade would keep this device from working.

I wonder how the system would work if the opposition "scattered" a hundred cheap lenses around the area? Would the machine have an overload, or would the operator just turn it off.

This sounds kind of like why you could order the S&B scopes with the laser filtration coatings on the front lens.

If I get this correctly, an ARD or sunshade would have zero effect if the optic was observing the laser. Pantyhose? Dunno, but this kind of laser tech has been fielded for a long time no?

If I get this correctly, an ARD or sunshade would have zero effect if the optic was observing the laser. Pantyhose? Dunno, but this kind of laser tech has been fielded for a long time no?

That's what I am thinking. If you get ANY return off the glass it would register; so even if you shrunk the glass or used an ARD you would still get a return off of it.

You would need to mask or change the return signature with a coating or something that returned as something other than an optic lens.

I wonder how the system would work if the opposition "scattered" a hundred cheap lenses around the area? Would the machine have an overload, or would the operator just turn it off.

haha lay out a few hundred cheap ass BSA or NCStar scopes all pointed in the direction of something they would consider a target of value

Reactions: 232593
What about something behind a pane of regular glass? Binoculars through a window.

Reactions: BurtG
and just playing with thoughts, but what about the 'one-way mirrors' and such? Or at least, the concept therein? And has anyone said anything about this 'laser' and peoples eyes?

Is that a thought?

just get a laser with the right wavelength or enough spectrum to fall on the wavelength used and it would start to have to be a really strong computer to filter out the information overload. What happens if there are multiple lasers?

Wouldn't this work best in a place, and application, where you were worried about a lot of potential snipers?

Among other places, I imagine it would be favoured during events where there should be no snipers at all -- such as a political speech/event, etc.

It has been proven that any type of laser or other 'locating' software is easily glitched out of use by using triangular break up patterns. It works to void laser 90+% emissions, all facial recognition, and most camera type devices. The principle is similiar to teh old WWII ship break up patterns

Im thinking of a conical shaped filter/lens over the end of the scope etc that is covered with that mirror film they put on car windows so as to bounce the beam of at 45 degs or more,

Idea 2, would be to fill the area with the bottoms of glass bottles and face the inner part outward because they are curved like a lens they would reflect in a simular manor other than that use mirrors to scan the area with,

I found out about these things a while back and according to some sites these things have been around for the last 5 to 10 years but the Ones they have been using can see the retinas in your eyes at well over 1K, the first models were not eye safe but the later ones are as these things are part of the US DOD anti Sniper defence systems and they work for many Thousands of Meters, You would be better off placing you self in an area that is littered with EMPTY haha Beer Cans and broken bottle bottoms like I said to even stand a Slight chance, Although that Tape over that scope is used by the US Military along with slotted covers, also you might find that is why the US DOD dose'nt use HD Coatings on their Optics due to the amount of reflection they give off, But on another note IR Illuminators on night vision scope binos and monoculars will not only highlight the user but they highlight peoples eyes Very Brightly, the first time i did it IT freightend the crap out of me and even if you cant see the person you WILL see their eyes light up,

Anyway this is just some of the stuff I have found, OH YEAH and dont forget about all the microphone systems they have installed throughout many of the US Cities Like those fitted to Humvees that can pinpoint Gun Shots etc,

Have fun, Blessins John

Here is a handheld version of the same system from the same company.

Mirage-1200.wmv - YouTube

VIP security
Sniper detection
Video & photography detection
Border protection
Security of important locations
Fast scanning capability
All weather 24-hour surveillance
Vehicle or pole/building mounted
Detection of cameras & scopes
Monitoring & automatic alerts

TPL currently is producing next generation model after Mirage, called Sentinel.
Detection range 1,200m
Field-of-View 4° 30’
Size 3” x 5.5” x 12”
Weight 2.2 kgs (4.8 lbs)
Imagine doing a stalk lane and giving the instructors this piece of equipment...

sadface

Mobbs you have a good point there, I guess not many Guys would pass and they would go and hunt down the inventor of the thing, he'd be hated as much as that ***** who invented the speed camera.

can we go and look for them now???

john

Among other places, I imagine it would be favoured during events where there should be no snipers at all -- such as a political speech/event, etc.

yeah, a place with lots of cameras, lenses for video and other lenses. I think that would be difficult to weed out all the non dangerous lenses.

Just a matter of time before someone invents the 'anti-detection beam' coating for glass. I love Capitalism!

Because just like radar, nightvision and everything else; as soon as your enemy gets ahold of it too, its no longer fun.

I just did...

And it ain't pantyhose...

I'll release it as soon as someone starts using these detectors against American civilians.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Maddog51
I bet the really long scope shade that I have laying around somewhere would make my rifle undetected.

Pantyhoses: Not just for slutty nights out anymore...

DIY-lens-filter.png

I believe Russkie and Finnish snipers started using them because each side started having spotters who were trained to look for glare on sunny winter mornings through their binocs. The Germans also had spotter dudes, and they'd immediately radio ground attack aircraft to the location of any glare that they see...

Reactions: Krawlven
Tech changes.
Should try and keep up with it.

Especially in these times.

View attachment 8029062

Ok…enlighten me newbie…

How has this technology changed since the last post in this thread 9 1/2 years ago?

You didn’t read the last posted date when you replied to this 9 1/2 year old thread, did you?

Last edited: