• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Determining ranging magnification?

Munimula

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Zillah, WA
I have a Millet scope. Its a 6 x 25 x 56mm. I've searched around for a manual for this thing but have been unsuccessful.

Is there anyway to determine the proper mag X for ranging?

I've heard 10x, 12x for some scopes. Others which have ffp(?) can use any magnification.

Re: Determining ranging magnification?

If the scope has a reticle in mils, put up two easy-to-see marks at 100 yards which are 36 inches apart. Change the power on the scope until the two marks are 10 mils apart on the reticle. Mark the power ring at that point.

Excellent. Thank you. Knew there had to be some way to do it.

Been practicing ranging at 10x and getting reasonable ranges. But they are unknown distances.

and it does indeed have a mil-dot

You're welcome. You might also find it useful to calibrate that reticle at half the power at which it ranges correctly, so that you can use it for moving target leads with a wilder field of view.

The procedure for that is also simple. Place two marks 72 inches apart, and mark the point on the power ring where they measure 10 mils apart on the reticle.

Then cut your calculated holds, whether wind holds, holdovers, holdunders, or mover leads, in half.

See:

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

36"s at 100 yrds equals 10 mils at 9x zoom. I can't half my mag from there.

I do mostly paper target shooting and pop coyotes and varmints from time to time. So I'm normally operate at full power.

Does 9x seem correct to anyone else?

I did the measurements and its exactly 10 mils at 100 yards.

I normally hear of 10x or 12x mag being correct. So coming up with 9 makes me question it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If 10 mils of marks on the reticle are spaced 36" apart at 100 yards at 9X, then that's the power.
</div></div>

alrighty. Math says yes. Just seemed odd. No i have to go back and re range everything. lol

Thank you Lindy.