• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Devcon for texture

FRO516BMX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I am planning on texturing a new to me PSS stock, and I read guys used Devcon for the job. My question is, I picked up the "Plastic steel epoxy" with the 2 side by side tubes. Is this Devcon good or should I go back and get the putty? Anyone used this type?

Re: Devcon for texture

no, it wont. i bough that for mine. its too thin and it leveled no matter how long i waited to peak it. i would get peaks and they would fall. i played with fillers and additives and never could get peaks. i have 4 packs just like yours. i used one whole 2 pack just experimenting with it. first i waited longer and they still fell or it would be cured too much to stick to anything to pull a peak. i was gonna try PC7, a 2 part putty at most hardware stores, but my two cans were really dry and nothing like the pictures i have seen of others using it. i took them back and got a refund. JB Weld wont work either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jedi8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marine Tex works the best</div></div>

+1

Marine Tex will leave a smoother finish and look better when painted.

I've seen it done successfully before with the two tube kit you have. It may not be the best rout as I would personally vote for Marine Tex as well idealy but it has been done with what you currently have. But from what I understand it is just more difficult to get the "perfect mixture" that will settle correctly and produce the results that you desire. Usable yes, best option no.

I could be wrong, I have been before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen it done successfully before with the two tube kit you have. It may not be the best rout as I would personally vote for Marine Tex as well idealy but it has been done with what you currently have. But from what I understand it is just more difficult to get the "perfect mixture" that will settle correctly and produce the results that you desire. Usable yes, best option no.

I could be wrong, I have been before.

</div></div>

A guy who I saw do it with the two part stuff successfully waited until it was "firm but pliable" and then texturized it.

I am quoting him so I dont know exactly how long after the application he reached that state.

Its not ideal but I used a tube of liquid weld to texturize the bottom of a couple of 1911 magazines. It was kind of an emergency thing though. I had a non-sanctioned 'friendly' coming up with a few guys from work that we had a friendly dinner wager riding on and I wanted more texture on the base pad.

Step 1 was use it to secure the pad to the magazine. When that set, i went back over it with liquid weld. Not sure how that would hold up on a larger surface area.

Or try this if you have a spray gun.

Buy epoxy primer in black or whatever color. Turn the paint way up so the gun sputters. Voila! Texture. Do it in a hot, dry shop and the paint will cure very quickly and very bumpy.

if you use marinetex, get the grey/gray marine tex. it has stuff in it. the white is thinner i heard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use the Devcon 10110 </div></div>
+1

If you use the devcon 10110 you will spike it up and need to hit it with a file to knock it down. For me the marine tex was a smoother finish but I liked it having it super aggressive and knocking it down to the desired texture.

Thnaks boys, wish I would have waited, I ordered the marine tex from brownells as I had to order longer action screws to fit to the PSS stock I picked up. I still have the SPS stock so I'm going to experiment on that and see how I like it, if it doesn't come out the wait I want I'll go pick up some of the devcon.

g2004,

Thanks for the heads up man. They have a branch about 15 minutes from me, so I know where to go if the marine tex doesnt work out.

I've found the Devcon 10110 plastic steel to be more aggressive. I really like it over marine tex. It's all about personal preference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there somewhere you can buy this stuff off the shelf like home depot or whatever? </div></div>

I couldn't find it anywhere off the shelf, but, if you have a Fastenal store localy, they can get it for ya...thats what i did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use the devcon 10110 you will spike it up and need to hit it with a file to knock it down. For me the marine tex was a smoother finish but I liked it having it super aggressive and knocking it down to the desired texture. </div></div>

I used Devcon on my bell carlson medalist on my old rifle. The stuff works well and sticks like mad, as long as you scuff the surface, and degrease prior to applying. You can actually stipple it by poking it perpendicular to stock surface with a junk paint brush. Works well

Something I have never seen done but I think would work well is using a bed lining product. The Herculiner I recently used on a truck made a nice aggressive and rubbery texture and is easy to apply.
I haven't tried it on a gun stock yet though.

Herculiner sounds good but don't do it. It won't last over the long term. Even with perfect prep of the surface. I can give you the story but instead I will say, that stuff is crud and won't stay long term on your truck or your gun.

for bed liner try chiri enterprises out of canada. i used their what-a-liner with added grit for texture. i like it.

DSC00326.jpg

Devcon applied with a sponge much like a kid sponge-paints. Using the sponge allows for a very thin application and a much more aggressive texture like grip-tape. I have seen and held the marine-tex/tongue depressor method, and I prefer this style.

try the plastic baggie method too. i used a ziplock that i sealed with air in it like a pillow. worked good. then my choice of product self leveled

here is mine with the chiri enterprises WHAT-A-LINER. its not as different in color. its more dark grey with not as much contrast as the picture shows

5040989660_4d50afbeaf_b.jpg

Actually there is an epoxy product made by a company in Wisconsin that is used to paint on the toes of your boots and acts to serve as a toe protector. I can't remember the name of the company, but this would work perfectly for this application. Also, here are the industrial counterparts at this link. These are urethane/epoxy products one can use as well. http://www.escadhesives.com/brand.asp?division_id=1

Thought I'd update this with my results. I used the Marine-tex. The epoxy itself I think will work fine, I think my texturing method itself could use some work, though I'm happy with it being my first attempt. I think I'll do it again at a later date and use the sponge method, but it definitely grips better than before.

A quick pic

20110504-IMG_4301 by DannyLongIsland, on Flickr

(yes, I know the bolt is missing. It's on its way to Mark at SAC for a Badger bolt knob.)

I used the Devcon 10110 and it is pretty aggressive and I did knock it down some with some light sanding..results were excellent and exactly what i was after. I wouldn't hesitate using it again.

Just got done using pc7 epoxy on my boyds tacticool stock for my 10/22.
It is the first time I have used this epoxy. It looks like it will take in excess of 24 hours to cure. While it was curing I used a clean #3 gravel in the palm of my hand to give it some random texture. Will post some pics when I get it duracoated.