• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diabetes

nso123

High Speed Steel Stinger
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Tennessee
Well, the doctor gave me the news today that I have developed diabetes. It was almost bound to happen as it runs in my family. Anybody else dealing with this and have any tips?

Re: Diabetes

Start walking, everyday, no excuses, walk early in the day and monitor your sugar, drop your current doctor and go find a Diabetes Doctor, your family doc is not educated enough to take care of you, type 2 sucks, but its not a death sentence, exercise is the cure, again no excuses, fucking exercise is the fix, your too fat and your body can't keep up, or your body is Insulin resistant, either way exercise is the fix, I was where you are 16 years ago, I know exactly what the fx is, do as I say, or fucking die, slow and painful, it's your choice.

My doctor specializes in diabetes, and has made the same recommendations as you. I am fortunate that weight is not the problem, so I don't have to fight the battle of losing weight on top of this. My problem is the insulin resistance. I am glad to hear that you were able to help your situation with exercise, as it gives me encouragement.

OP,
The good news is you can keep on living, and the other good news is that you now have another challenge to beat out and get some more fulfillment out of life. I know - the news sucks. I developed T1 at age 21. Not sure what your situation is so far, but as far as lifelong diseases go, this one (T1 or T2) isn't all that bad.
Don't be lazy with checking your sugars and above all else, <span style="font-weight: bold">keep a consistent workout regimen</span> - that will help keep everything in check, whether you are insulin-dependent or not. I don't do this as well as I should, and my bg suffers for it.
With enough discipline, you can effectively live with little to no change in health. I can say that diabetes has not hindered my physical capability in any way in the 5 years I've had it. Long term remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful, and I have a good excuse for not being lazy and passing up adventures when the opportunity arises now.
If you are similar to me and somewhat of a "brittle diabetic," meaning your sugars fluctuate a lot, then I highly recommend a continuous glucose monitor if you can afford it or if your insurance covers it. CGM is the best thing equipment-wise you can get. I went with Dexcom (7+), but they have a new one out that is supposed to be even more accurate.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I don't know so much about T2 if that's what you have, but I'm guessing that there are more similarities than differences as far as best practices go.
Keep your head up. Life is so much better for us with diabetes with recent advances than it was for people in the mid to late 1900s. Don't let it keep you down. Use it as motivation to do more.

I too developed T1 diabetes later in life (25). My resulted after having Shingles. You win some and you lose some. The key to diabetes is exercise and following the appropriate diet. Diabetes likes routine, so if you get yourself into a routine that consists of a good diet and regular exercise you should be fine. It can be discouraging at onset, because things change so much. Your pancreas may be still producing a certain amount of insulin, and then change all of a sudden. Get regulated and use to what you have then if you need insulin,I recommend going to a pump. It will get you far better regulated. Look at Omnipod made by Insulet. That's what I have and it allows you to be very active (I swim in mine).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

I also developed T1 at a strange age, 19. It was frustrating at first and definitely still is. Still not on a pump, trying to find out how low I can get my A1C without it first.

If you are a T2 yours should be much easier to manage, diet and exercise. Dont eat too much high glycemic foods. A routine will make things alot easier. Getting up at the same time, eating meals at the same time every day. Exercising the same intensity every day. These will help T2s alot. Good luck.

It is type 2, and I am 39 years old. I can say that I have not treated my body the best that I could through the years (lots of fast food, sugary drinks, etc). My doctor is confident that we can get this under control using Metformin and lifestyle changes. I appreciate all of the supportive words, as I want to beat this stuff. I am anxious to see how my bg numbers change, because I know I had a considerable sugar and carb intake up until yesterday. I look back at my diet and realize that my food choices almost have to have contributed to this problem. I am commited to doing whatever I need to in order to stay healthy. I have a two year old son that has lots to learn about shooting from his daddy.

You will have to change a lot of your own habits if you intend to keep your appendages, nerves, eyesight and general health. A family friend disagreed with his doctor and died in his 40s without his legs, eyesight and kidneys (amongst a potpourri of other DMII problems).

I only mention the above because I prefer shock factor when attempting to emphasize the importance of listening to your doctor. Think of that when you have an urge to reach for unhealthy food or when you don't feel like working out.

I have no idea how far along you are as far as disease progression but YOU CAN reverse this condition, negating the need for Metformin (clear this with your doctor before discontinuing!).

It'll suck because your eating and exercise habits are overdue for a serious change. After a while, you will enjoy both your lifestyle changes....it just takes a while before you can fully appreciate it. You'll actually crave healthier food and believe it or not, you'll actually want to workout. Not only that, but you can set a good example for your son who will also benefit from your new lifestyle.

The more you learn about DM, the more tools you will have to control it.

Hi fellas, stumbled on this post on the way to the Photo gallery section. Have any of you guys ever picked up the book by a Dr Mark Hyman, THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION? No joke, you have to. Just in the market last year. Basically what he is saying is that nearly everyone in North America is either pre-diabetic or already diabetic due to our processed diets. Doctors have been trained over the years to test for numbers with blood sugar but it's in the insulin resistance at the cellular level that tells the story. This resistance shows up far earlier that blood sugar numbers. Good news is that you can reverse this, FOR REAL. Please look into this book. I'm passing this along to bless you and give you some info and hope. Who said diabetes cannot be reversed?? Studies? Doctors? The American food and drug admin? This whole process of treating the symptoms is killing everyone but it's a billion- Trillion dollar business. Truth is if, diseases were looked at at the cause and root, many would be cured. and subsequently, millions would be out of work in the medical field. He mentions in the book that 5 or 7 areas have to be addressed like inflammation etc. Anyway, please start reading the book!!!

I developed type 2 at 34 years old. 6'0" approx 215 lbs. I work on a boat 30 days a stretch so my ability to get out and excercise is limited but I do what I can. I too got The Blood Sugar Solution and it is very helpful. I even checked into treatment by Dr Hyman or one of his networked drs but that was cost prohibitive. Only my mom has diabetes and she developed it at 53 or so after chemo. So needless to say I was pretty shocked by my diagnosis. But as said before, life goes on. Check your sugar 4-6 times daily if you get high readings so you can track what makes your sugar jump. If you're on meds, keep a bottle of Glucose tabs handy because the cold sweats/ hands shaking thst comes with a 40-80 reading( for me) can be quite scary at times. My sugar being low has woken me up many times. But high sugar , you will never know. Good luck and God bless.

Eta: getting with a good endocrinologist would also be a big plus.

There is definately a chance you can lose the metformin by having a balanced diet and exercise. One thing not mentioned above (at least I don't think), is making it a priority to visit a certified diabetes educator. This can do you wonders as your doc only has so much time to spend with you. There is so much you need to learn and it can be overwhelming. The CDE can help you with exercise, diet as well as what is going on with you metabolically and why you need to change some behaviors. Another thing that is VERY important early on is getting your blood sugar in the normal range and keeping it there in the early course of the disease. There currently is a lot of talk within endocrinology about a "legacy effect" that can be very beneficial in the long term by getting your BG in control early on. What was your A1c?

The A1c was 9.0. Thanks for the link, and thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.

Anyone ever see the film " Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead "?

Great film on health by Joe Cross. Watch it if you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The A1c was 9.0. Thanks for the link, and thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. </div></div>

You should see it improve pretty quick once you start dieting and exercising regularly.

T2s still have some insulin production and as long as they dont overstress their pancreas their body will still try and regulate your sugar. You shouldnt have to worry about keeping your BS high enough so you dont pass out, only keeping it from being high.

Im a T1 and when I was diagnosed my a1c was 7.5, 6 months later it was 8.6, a year later and it was in the mid 9s. 3 years later and it is now back around 8.3. Been dropping last 2 visits. T1 is definitely a steeper learning curve.

Be glad you are a T2, my pancreas produces NO insulin, and I have to take 6+ shots a day and check my blood at least that much daily. If I eat any carbs I have to take a shot, if I dont take enough insulin my sugar will be high afterwards. If I take too much I will have a low about an hour after eating, then I have to find some sugar quick unless I want to have EMS do it for me. Any time I exercise I get a low blood sugar and have to find food or I will go into shock. I have to eat every few hours or I will have low blood sugars. On bad days my sugar can range from 400 to 40. On good days Im happy if I can keep it under 200 and not have too many lows. It can be incredibly frustrating at times.

I dont mean to complain, just giving you some perspective. It could always be worse. T2 is very manageable compared to T1. Its not rocket surgery, there are no magic secrets. Diet, exercise. If you do that you shouldnt even need any meds.

Thing is, I didnt treat my body bad. Played sports in high school, exercised frequently, stayed away from soft drinks and sugary deserts. No one in my family has T1 either, I'm just lucky.

Im sorry to hear that youre going our club. I can sympathize. Just remember that its not a death sentence, just some lifestyle changes.

Cpt. Obvious, look into an insulin pump if you can swing it with insurance, it will definitely help to regulate your BS.

Just curious, how were you diagnosed? Did you have any kind of virus or anything that triggered it?

Take care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cpt. Obvious, look into an insulin pump if you can swing it with insurance, it will definitely help to regulate your BS.

Just curious, how were you diagnosed? Did you have any kind of virus or anything that triggered it?

Take care. </div></div>

Hey man,

I have talked about a pump ad nausium with my endocrinologist. She thinks I would benefit, there are still several hoops to jump through first.

Went to the doc because I couldnt see, thirsty all the time. I didnt feel bad however. I was planning on walking 9 holes that afternoon. Sugar was 370 at the doctors office so they sent me to the hospital.

I actually did have a virus, I also had an immunization a few weeks prior. Not sure what the culprit was but I havent had an immunization since. My moms side of the family has some weird auto immune history. Apparently I inherited that from her, I also have a good deal of allergies. A well documented, but unexplainable problem with hives, and I have recently been experiencing eczema on my left hand that I cant get rid of for the life of me, all auto immune problems the doctors have no advise for.

Once again, lucky.

I hear ya, I'm one of the lucky ones too. I have zero family history of diabetes (that I am aware of) and I was doagnosed while having Shingles. It's interesting how many more records of people are being diagnosed with diabetes via viral infections.

That suck man, sorry to hear about that. As far as western medicin goes we are in the dark ages when it comes to the immune system. Doctors and scientist dont understand it, and are inept at treating or diagnosing chronic auto immune problems.

Im glad Im not alone though. We should start a club, get some hats or jackets or something.

Would be interesting to see how stable your sugars are on a paleo diet. My wife has become somewhat of an expert. We have been on it for about a year now. At some point I am going to have an NMR to compare what it was 3 years ago. It is a diet that is supposed to help inflammation.

Cpt Obvious,

You have essentially written my development of diabetes to a T. I had no family history, but a possible autoimmune link through an uncle who has MS. Sports all my life, relatively fit, but I do have a carb addiction...

I had a strange rash and/or virus about a month before I noticed things going wonky, had all the textbook symptoms but had no idea why. Got my blood sugar checked by a nurse who happened to be in my apartment building and heard me talking - it was over 500 about two hours after dinner.

We should go play the lottery or shoot craps together sometime.

As an aside, I run an omni-pod and dexcom7+ CGM. If I had to choose, I would keep the CGM. Shots are a pain because of the scar tissue development - I kept running out of suitable sites because I'm pretty lean - but the CGM is so helpful to know what's going on during those in between testing periods. I think I could almost go back to shots at this point just for the convenience of not having to worry about my pump site getting messed up from sweating during a workout.

TNT,

What CGM do you use?

There are some addhesives you can get to use with the Omnipods to help secure. I usually put my pods on my triceps and have gotten to the point where I don't notice them as much. I work out hard and I often times clear vegetated right-of-right with a machette (sweat a lot) and have not had problems with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NSO123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is type 2, and I am 39 years old. I can say that I have not treated my body the best that I could through the years (lots of fast food, sugary drinks, etc). My doctor is confident that we can get this under control using Metformin and lifestyle changes. </div></div>

That works for a while. Your Dr should have also started you on accupril, a blood pressure med that has the wonderful side effect of helping to protect a diabetic's kidneys. After bout seven years I had to add glyburide after another 10 actos. Now 22 years in at 56 I am on the needle. Life is still good, its worth the fight. Get your eyes checked by a good ophthalmologist once a year. Got a friend who told me an optometrist is the same thing. He is blind in one eye, but now he goes to my ophthalmologist.

It's good to exercise every day, but do not forget to read a book to your two year old every day.

A little update. After a month and a week of exercising and changed diet, my average daily sugars are in the mid 150s, down from averages in the 220s. I can't believe how much more energy I have now. It really has not been that hard to make the changes, and the diet has been easier than I thought it would be. Luckily, I was not too out of shape, so the exercise has actually been pleasant. I really appreciate the encouraging words that you guys have shared. And Diverdon, my wife's best friend is married to an ophthalmologist, so I have that end covered.

A little update. After a month and a week of exercising and changed diet, my average daily sugars are in the mid 150s, down from averages in the 220s. I can't believe how much more energy I have now. It really has not been that hard to make the changes, and the diet has been easier than I thought it would be. Luckily, I was not too out of shape, so the exercise has actually been pleasant. I really appreciate the encouraging words that you guys have shared. And Diverdon, my wife's best friend is married to an ophthalmologist, so I have that end covered.

Nice! Congrats.

NSO123 Good work on the numbers drop!

I am 27 now and was diagnosed at 12 with Type 1. It was a big change for me as being a kid sugar was all I knew. I was put on a pump at 15 and now it's as if I don't have diabetes anylonger other than the bs checks and changing out my infusion site. I don't want to beat a dead horse with all the info that has been stated above, but I wanted to show my support for a fellow diabetic and shooter keep up the good work.

Well, to bring this thread back up, I had an appointment today with the doctor to check in on my diabetes. My A1c was 5.9 today! I am excited, as this is a huge drop from where I was only 4 months ago. It is amazing what proper diet, exercise, and good care from a competent physician can do. I am fortunate that the lifestyle changes have not seemed to be too difficult for me.

NSO 123

Great news! You must have an incredible sense of accomplishment to have gotten such great control in such a short timeframe. Keep up the good work!

Neo123, I was 58 years old, with no history of Diabetes, then Nov 2011, during a routine physical, my BG was 386 and my A1C was 13.8. I was told that I had developed Type II Diabetes. I immediately went on Metformin and insulin. I was a fair to middling powerlifter, still competing and lifting heavy. I weighed in at about 265 with eight percent body fat. I had lifted weights for 50 years and suddenly found I could not eat what I wanted or abuse my body the way I had been for years. It took a complete life style change/overhaul, but I am at 228 and maintaining my BG at 90 - 120 and my A1C between 5.5 and 6.2. I agree with all of the suggestions above, but highly recommend one more step. I encourage you to step back and decide for yourself if you want to live or die a very slow painful death. Bottomline, it is up to you, you must evaluate every aspect of your life and make the decision about everything that you do. You must decide if something is good for you or bad for you, everything from exercise, to diet, counting carbs, alcohol consumption, smoking, all of your bad habits and all of your good habits, your life has started anew. Read every book about diabetes you can get your hands on, look around, find cookbooks for diabetes, some are very good, and as everyone has recommended exercise. Walk, walk, walk, walk, and walk some more. You can live with Diabetes , I have several friends that have live with Diabetes for 35 - 40 years, or it can kill you, I have had some that never understood and didn't make it over a couple of years. Good luck my friend and don't hesitate to reach out for any reason if you need help. Finally learn about the side effects, learn how to overcome them and enjoy life.