• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dial and Test Indicators

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I know there are tons of options and you can pay as much as you want to spend, but what are the indicators that you reach for the most? I am starting out and need to purchase some so I thought I would see what you guys are using. I already have a intrapid test indicator but might need one more. really looking at dial indicators. These will be used for all things gunsmith related (muzzle brakes, chambering, threading.....)

Re: Dial and Test Indicators

The indicators I use the most are a pair of Mitutoyo 0.0001" test indicators that I use for dialing-in barrels.
The next one is an Ames 0.001" dial indicator that I use when chambering to verify the final depth of cut with the reamer.

Most 0.0001" test indicators have a 0.008" range.
The range is not really important when you are working in the tenths...
Most 0.001" dial indicators have a 1" range with a 2nd needle to indicate 0.1" travel.
The make and model is not important.
Only the resulting accuracy matters.

As said before a .001 isnt close enough for a lot of things. You will eventually need a .0001 if not already. Mytotyo or however it is spelled is about as good as it gets.

Brown&Sharpe or Mito~yoyo dial indicators for me. The Starrett and GEM I absolute hated and never held up as well.

.001 for general use (indicating a vise or tramming a head).
.0001 for precision work.

I like the following:
1. Brown and Sharpe Best Test .0005, .015 travel either direction and 1 1/4 inch dial; for indicating centers of holes and indicating vise on mill
2. Interapid .0005 with .030 travel either direction for general indicating on mill.
3. Interapid .0001 for close tolerance on lathe
4. Mititoyo .0001 if I need two close tolerance on lathe
5. Mititoyo .001 1" travel dial for general indicating on the lathe
6. Starrett 4" travel dial for tailstock to measure drill and reamer depth

I'm really partial to our Starretts.

062ej.jpg