• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Dialing in cold weather

TroyMN

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
Minnesota
I did several searches but could not find any threads regarding this.

When shooting in sub zero weather. Has anyone experienced your scope taking a shot or two to settle down to where the scope was dialed? I am talking .5-.75 MOA not a lot but way too much if you want first round hits at mid and long range. It makes since if the "grease" on the erectors gets stiff.

Does anyone instead of adjusting one or two clicks, dial way out and then always have the last turn of the scoped in ward to be pushing against the spring?
Thanks
Troy

Curious Also...

Great question, Troy.

During a hot, humid 90deg summer day, I got my LR dopes with my new gun\scope\reloads from 200yds out to 600yds. I had similar thoughts about the upcoming cold 5-10 deg winter hunting scenarios I'll be in. I pulled up JBM calculator and plugged in an 80deg temp drop to see what the El. adjustment should be. At 600 yds and 10 degrees, the additional hold over should be 1 MOA to compensate for the denser atmosphere.

Just happen to get back on the range during a 50 deg weather day and found I needed a .5 MOA of adjustment for the same 600yd X-ring POI. When I got back home, I plugged in the 50 deg - 600yd POI data and It confirmed just what my field test showed...a .5 MOA increase of Up El. adjustment!

Not sure about sticking erector grease...might be an effect of sub-zero temps? I'll be finding out in January...:confused:

Safe Hunting!

Ted

So it sounds like coldbore has not had this issue. My scope is a $1000 scope that has proven to track prefect and also very repeatable.
Either my barrel throat is worn just enough to allow my second and third groups (.003 shorter o-give) to open up to over 1.5 moa.
My scope took a dump.
I forgot how to shoot in 2 minutes.
Or I was thinking it could be the scope settling in?
I will try to add a picture of the groups.
Thanks Troy

Last edited:
With a quality scope it has never been an issue, even in below zero temps.

Word

9CBAFF0B-275C-45CA-B4A9-524F50E6085A_zpsywuarsrh.jpg