• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did a little polishing on my 452 bolt.

rdl65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
TN
I did a little polishing on my Bolt and Firing Pin today. The bolt must be chrome plated because it was a little harder to polish than the firing pin. It sure made a difference, it glides like it is on bearings now.

DSCN0982_665.jpg

DSCN0983_666.jpg

Re: Did a little polishing on my 452 bolt.

I used 220 grit, 400 grit, and finally 800 grit sand paper to smooth out the excess machine marks on the firing pin. Then I used a buffing wheel with gray colored rouge to polish all parts, followed by white rouge. The white really put a mirror finish on it.

Please allow me to ask a few dumb questions:

--Why polish the firing pin?
--Did you use the sandpaper on the bolt as well?
--I don't have a buffing wheel...can I use a Dremel?
--I don't know what grey & white rouge are...are they polishing compounds?

Your finished product looks great, and I'd like to slick up my action as well. It is a little sticky. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Tikka :)

--Why polish the firing pin?
I polished the firing pin to get rid of the machine marks on the flat bottom. I only polished the bottom flat because it drags against the bolt guide.

--Did you use the sandpaper on the bolt as well?
No, only the firing pin flat.

--I don't have a buffing wheel...can I use a Dremel?
I guess you can, but I would think it would take a while.

--I don't know what grey & white rouge are...are they polishing compounds?
Yes, here is a link from MidwayUSA. This isn't the brand I used but I used the stick type. Different colors have different roughness.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/811360/...-2-x-2-x-10-bar

Thanks a bunch for your thoughtful replies....much appreciated.