• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Did I get a version 8.1 Atlas bipod?

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Well I received my 2nd Atlas last monday from Triad and I noticed something different to the one I already had.
5fb006f9.jpg

My first one is on the right and the newest one is on the left with a little lip on the leg adjusters. Is this a V8.1? I went to a match yesterday and noticed that all the rest of the people that used the Atlas were all like my first one. A big +1 this new style.

Re: Did I get a version 8.1 Atlas bipod?

I like the older ones. Interesting look on the new ones though... It might grow on me and make me pick up another one...

looking at mine , I dont really care if it has the lip .
I can adjust the length of the legs without any problems

I also have the newest version of the Atlas, the one shown on the left. I love it!

Just an FYI, that may cause an issue with an AI Chassis when used with the spigot adapter. I know the knurled adjusters rub the bottom of the skins the way they are. With the KAC UNS mount on mine they are riding against it. It's not an issue, but if they adjusters were a little larger, then the legs would not lock in the rearward stowed position.

Otherwise they look like they would make deploying the legs much easier.

The new deployment retaining rings certainly make it easier to deploy the legs.

Can you still get the "older" version so there'e not an issue with it on the AI chassis?

I for one wouldn't want it digging into it or not being able to lock it rearward.

Mark

That reminds me, I need to send mine in for the upgrade to V8.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an FYI, that may cause an issue with an AI Chassis when used with the spigot adapter. I know the knurled adjusters rub the bottom of the skins the way they are. With the KAC UNS mount on mine they are riding against it. It's not an issue, but if they adjusters were a little larger, then the legs would not lock in the rearward stowed position.
Otherwise they look like they would make deploying the legs much easier. </div></div>

LoneWolf, not having seen the KAC UNS mount or at least not aware of it (more likely), don't you think it would be an identical issue with the Badger IMUNS?
There shouldn't be any difference between the KAC and Badger in respect to where the bipod legs fold, right?
Second question, any reason the skins couldn't be notched for clearance, or even multiple notches for different leg lengths if required. Not worried about appearance, but the legs must be able to lock in the stowed position.

I am about to order a new Atlas, to replace a notched/swivel/P-loc Harris, and camo one set of my skins, so I want to get this project off and running with no surprises.

Edit: LoneWolf, saw your review, fantastic. How have I missed your blog all this time I don't know! Good, no, Great Work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are welcome, and/or sorry.

It is pretty easy to switch them back and forth. If someone winds up not liking the new style, they could most likely find someone to switch with. I will try to get a video up soon.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2368436 </div></div>

Actually I love it.

pyplynr, yes the new collars are, well, new.
smile.gif

gugubica was the inspiration and gets full recognition for this change and I thank him for it.

No new version designator has been applied as the application and function remains the same, albeit easier.

Regarding the AI Spigot, (great write-up LoneWolfUSMC) we made a change to it as well, made it .10 thicker. And again, we are dealing with tolerance stack here, so going by my AICS;

*The new AI spigot will allow any atlas (V7, V8 and V8.1) to utilize all leg positions.

*The old model AI spigot will not allow the legs on new 8.1 to be folded back.

Clear as mud?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pyplynr, yes the new collars are, well, new.
smile.gif

No new version designator has been applied as the application and function remains the same </div></div>

Then what the heck is V8.1????
crazy.gif

Sweet, just ordered based on post and call to them, great bunch!

I needed another bipod and thought it would be money better spent on this for the AI's based on how I will use it.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kasey, can the V8 bipods be upgraded to the new collars? If yes what is the cost and do they have to be sent to you to have the work done?</div></div>

I would also like to know this....can the collars be upgraded ?

Yes we can upgrade V8 to V8.1 (just for you Steve!
smile.gif
) in-house for 34.95 returned to you.

I got my 8.1 in the mail today. Didn't know anything about the upgrade till I opened the box. He made a great thing better.

Wow, nice update. I might have to upgrade my V8 now. I think I might just order a new bipod and if I like the new legs that much just upgrade the original at that point

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

We value feedback and will always be striving towards improving our products which is often based on viable feedback. To date our process is to validate and implement improvements in an effort to get better gear out ASAP. The downside is one customer gets a V8 then the next gets a V8.1. I have wrestled with this and find no workable solutions to this using our current business model.

Also need to be clear about this, both the V8 and V8.1 can get against the AI stock skin when folded back and up pressure is applied. The point of contact is on the lower surface in an area from the front edge back about .5 on both sides.

This is due in part to the way the bipod moves in the socket.

The V8.1 with the current BT19 Spigot (we stopped shipping the old BT19 spigots out once we got the new V8.1 collars) will allow the legs to fold back and when up pressure is applied, the ridge on the collar will contact the stock.

Thanks again for your support and patience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes we can upgrade V8 to V8.1 (just for you Steve!
smile.gif
) in-house for 34.95 returned to you. </div></div>

You guys are like Apple, every time I go to buy something a new one is on the way!

keep on keepin' on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LoneWolf, not having seen the KAC UNS mount or at least not aware of it (more likely), don't you think it would be an identical issue with the Badger IMUNS? There shouldn't be any difference between the KAC and Badger in respect to where the bipod legs fold, right?</div></div>

I can't say because the IMUNS is both longer and skinnier where the legs would contact. The KAC is fat and short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Second question, any reason the skins couldn't be notched for clearance, or even multiple notches for different leg lengths if required. Not worried about appearance, but the legs must be able to lock in the stowed position.</div></div>

You could do this of course, but I believe it would be more than a visual defect. Notching the skins is going to give dirt another place to go. I also don't think you are going to get away with just notching the skins. If you did I think you would just open up a place for them to hit the chassis.

The way the Atlas swivels, it's not self-centering. If you start cutting holes in the chassis, then you are going to need to line the bipod up perfectly to lock the legs in.

I am very glad that Kasey already took this into account and redesigned the spigot as well. I just wish he would put a NV rail on a hoop over the barrel.
wink.gif
Then I could scrap another piece of gear.

It sounds like with the new spigot adapter all is well and you won't have to notch or cut anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am very glad that Kasey already took this into account and redesigned the spigot as well. I just wish he would put a NV rail on a hoop over the barrel.
wink.gif
Then I could scrap another piece of gear.

It sounds like with the new spigot adapter all is well and you won't have to notch or cut anything.
</div></div>

I agree with you on the NV rail idea.
Kasey as usual with his excellent work!

Pleasant surprise seeing the improved collars when I opened up the envelope from B&T the other day. I have been admiring the workmanship and ingenuity of the V8, but sometimes thought about how it could be easier to adjust when behind the rifle prone.

It's just a minor detail, but the "8.1"s better grip and ability to hold the collar down easier while adjusting DOES make a difference. I could live without it, but the new one feels like it's a small step above the original one now.

Thanks to Kasey and his crew.

altlas81.jpg

Kasey,
Just been referred to Atlas for a bipod for my Savage BA in 338. Problem is I am in Australia and have to order off the website, without having one in the hand to evaluate. Which models would you recommend for the Savage for a bipod and a monopod. I recently wasted money on an Accushot monopod not suited to the square base on the Savage stock.

Interesting v8.1 update. I'll have to check into it.

I recently put an ADM QD lever on one and really like the ability to take the bipod on and off at will during competitions. Worked well for our bi-monthly steel match this weekend.

It does add some noticable height though and with the Atlas's longer legs (compared to a Harris BRM) I was needing to prop the rifle up more with the rear bag.

Any chance we might integrate an ADM mount into the base plate so as not to add any height to the setup? I realize this is a nit but a BT-10 like clamp that uses an ADM quick lever without any additional height would be the bomb!