• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Did I just buy the wrong scope?

Renneberg1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
El Dorado Hills,Ca
Hi guys, this my first post here and I'm new to long range shooting so I apologize in advance for the simplicity of my question.

I ordered (it has shipped, but I do not yet have it) through Europtics, a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 scope with the mil dot reticle.

Now I'm being told that this scope has the reticle on the wrong focal plane. Upon more conversation, it sounds like I want it in the first focal plane. I can't find the reticle / focal plane specifics of this on the Nightforce website. Also, I'm told the mil dot r reticle is preferred, not the mil dot.

Any info is appreciated.
Jay Renneberg

Re: Did I just buy the wrong scope?

Yes, your scope will have the reticle in the 2nd focal plane. As far as it being the wrong scope, that would be the subject of much debate. Nightforce scopes are great and will serve you well. If you use the scope and still want a FFP scope, you can more than likely sell it for a $100-$200 loss.

The 5-22X is a SFP scope not a First Focal Plane...

Nothing wrong with a mil dot reticle, but in that particular scope the MLR is a bit better, especially in SFP.

The NF that is Front Focal Plane is the F1 and currently is only offered in a 3-15X model.

The 5.5-22x scopes are not offered in the First Focal Plane. They are all in the Second Focal Plane although FFP 5-22x scopes are suposedly on the drawing board. To my knowledge they have not been released. So when you adjust the zoom the size if the retical will not change.

Second I prefer the MLR retical to the Mil Dot.

I am sure if you leave it up opened you can send it back on your dime and exchange it for a different model.

I hope I can exchange it. My plan is to not even open the box they send it in ( I'll call them and try to work something out).

That being said, I welcome recommendations (I expect this comes up often on the forum).

I'm looking to build my first 1,000 yard set up. I want high end equip (I would like to stay under $2800 for the scope if I can).

Talk about starting off big. You're new to long range precision shooting and you're already talking about 1000 yards?

Well its all in what you want to do with the scope. FFP/SFP both have their purposes. Like the previous poster stated, If you're set on FFP, you can always pay to have it shipped back to NF and chose something else.

Good luck.

First focal plane is easier to use for raging because it works at any power. For ranging with the recticle yours will work at 12x I think. Depending on your application it may not matter at all.

As for recticles, NF offers a number of them. And there are as many opinions on recticles as there are on anything else. A Mil-dot works.

I'm sure that if you are just figuring this out you probably don't have a ton of trigger time. The reason I say that is that if you did you'd have developed preferences, as it is, the NF is going to work just fine for you.

1000 yards is where I'm headed. I'll push myself and get there.
Trigger time: yep, I need more of it and I'm Shooting everyday to get it.

Right now I need /want a new good rig that is ready for my goal of 1,000 yards. I prefer to buy it once instead of multiple purchases as I move up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk about starting off big. You're new to long range precision shooting and you're already talking about 1000 yards?</div></div>

Remember, just because someone says they want to shoot at 1000 yds, it does not mean that they plan to be competitive for the National Championship in the first week.

There's hitting something once, there's hitting something repeatedly, there's shooting small groups and there's hitting small things repeatedly, all requiring different levels of skill.

I can put a relatively untrained person behind my rifle and usually have them on steel at 1000 yds. on the first or second shot. It's very rewarding to see the smile on their face. But there is a huge leap from there to shooting sub-1/2 moa groups every time they go out.

The fundamentals will certainly make them more successful in their endeavor and probably a better use of ammo, but I don't discourage anyone from having aggressive goals. They may achieve far more than you or I could ever imagine.

I wish the OP the best of luck...

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Renneberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope I can exchange it. My plan is to not even open the box they send it in ( I'll call them and try to work something out.
</div></div>

Don't be concerned about sending it back, with Alex NO problem.

Nothing wrong with setting a goal like that. IMO, a 3-15 would be more versatile and still enough to get to 1000. So you might well consider arranging to send that scope back (usually by refusing delivery...and I even took an unopened box to a UPS store and got it sent back for free because the UPS guy left it anyway) but talk to Europtics first.

There are two reasons I'd recommend the 3-15 F1:

1) 3X on the low end will give you much more field of view. You may want this scope for long distance target shooting, but 15X is enough for that and you may want to hunt with it or shoot in closer.

2) The FFP reticle - since it is relative in size to the target regardless of magnification - is going to be usable for quick windage corrections (credit to Lowlight for pointing this out in another post). (And, yes, you can range with it at any magnification, but ranging using a reticle instead of a rangefinder is, at best, a backup system. The farther out you range, the more critical it is to be right and the harder it is to be so).

Another disadvantage of the 5.5-22 is that the ranging power (being an SFP) is 22X. So if you want to use the reticle for the uses mentioned, it will only be at that magnification unless you are willing and have time to add another level of calculation.

MLR is mil based, not MOA, the NPR reticles are MOA based.

Stick with a Mil Reticle with Mil Turrets... with the F1 if you plan on exchanging it get the Mil Dot reticle not the MLR, it gets a bit small to use effectively on lesser powers, the Mil Dot is easier right now for the F1 / FFP

Mark s: thanks, good to hear.

John, I appreciate the supportive conversations.

I could beat my chest all day, but it would mean nothing till I "put it on paper".

I have a history of pursuing new skill sets with vigor. I have reached professional grade in several areas athleticism (NOT shooting related).

I understand the value of the fundamentals and I WILL acquire that skill set.

Right now, I'm hoping for some assistance in getting a top quality set up that I can grow into, and it seems this site has people in the know, so I'm just looking for some assistance.

Thank you very much to all that have offered advice, I'm listening and I appreciate it.
Jay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Nightforce MLR RETICLE specifically co-ordernated for MOA </div></div>

No. Its mil based. Lines every 1/2 mil.

LL,

If I understand what you are saying correctly, your thought is that the mildot reticle in the NF F1 3-15 is easier to see and use at lower powers than the MLR. I have that scope with the MLR and have noticed that it is difficult to distinguish what line is which, especially when in a hurry, at the mid to lower powers.

Thanks,

RB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...MLR and have noticed that it is difficult to distinguish what line is which, especially when in a hurry...</div></div>

That was my observation, too - which is why I took the F1 off my primary rifle, and put back on a scope with a Premier Gen II reticle.

Rennenberg , if I am reading this correctly you are planning on shooting out to 1000yds and fear you have purchased the wrong scope b/c its a SFP all based on what you have read on these threads. The information everyone has given you is spot on for "tactical" style of shooting. You never mentioned how you plan on shooting , if you are shooting formal or informal long range KD then in my opnion a second focal plane IS the correct scope , I would recomend the NPR2 or NPR1 insted of the mil dot , and use the reticle for wind hold offs if any thing. I find that in precision shooting a SFP is ideal due to the finer aming point. If you are going to shoot in a tactial or sniper comp then a FFP is the way to go b/c in most of the matches you have to range w/o a LRF. My point is you need to first decide how you are going to use a tool and then decide what is the best tool for the job. By the way the Nightforce is a very good choice , for the money there is not a better scope out there. Good luck with acheving you goals and enjoy.

As long as your reticle matches your turrets, I don't think a mildot vs. MLR vs other really matters. MLR is a little easier for hold overs than mildot but I wouldn't say that the mildot is inferior. It all comes down to preference.

MOA scopes are nice when thinking in yards, and calculations are simplier, but not for meters. Mil system is not biased towards English or metric systems.

I shot my 5.5-22x side by side with my friend's 3-15x and at ranges less than 100 yards and fast moving targets, the 15x does have an advantage. For further distances, and target shooting, I think 22x is much better.

Just make sure the scope is mil knob with your mil based reticle and your good to go.

I shoot around a 1k yds pretty often and have been very happy with the NF NXS. I have looke through first focal plane USO's and sometimes the reticles are pretty thick and can almost start hiding smaller pieces of steal. I actually prefer a 2nd focal plane scope for shooting the longer distances. there is something to be said for always having the reticle the same thickness.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone wanting an F1, especially with an MLR should wait until after Shot... that is my recommendation. </div></div>

Yes, what he said.... ^^^

best of luck to you. Euro optics are good people, and im sure they will give you no grief about the swap. fortunately this oops will only cost you shipping. not too bad. if you have any questions about gear, search them, then ask them. i believe most of the people on here enjoy seeing people become successful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone wanting an F1, especially with an MLR should wait until after Shot... that is my recommendation. </div></div>

Seems like somebody is just a wee bit more well informed than the rest of us. Or at least me.

I prefer SFP reticles for the type of shooting that I do. I'm running the 5.5-22x50 now and love it, although it is overkill for field use at under 200 yards. My next purchase is going to be a 3-15x for when I don't need so much magnification. I'd imagine that the FFP reticle offers an advantage for some, but I think that most are better served by a SFP reticle.

I use 10x fixed scope and works fine for 1000 yards. gun shooots sub MOA out to 1k and my young eyes do just fine through the scope. When I use the variables, I always dial them down to lower powers then forget to crank them back up when I shoot at further distances anyway. haha. I can just see MORE at lower magnification.

good scope whether you return it or not, and I'm sure they'll work with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone wanting an F1, especially with an MLR should wait until after Shot... that is my recommendation. </div></div>

Yes, what he said.... ^^^ </div></div>

could we get any more information? and when is SHOT?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone wanting an F1, especially with an MLR should wait until after Shot... that is my recommendation. </div></div>

could we get any more information? and when is SHOT?</div></div>

I can't until they tell me it is okay... SHOT is this month around the 17th.

You have up to $2800 to spend...why are you buying Nightforce? Get a USO, or a slightly used S&B and don't look back. I love Nightforce but if I had $2800 to spend my rifle would have a USO or S&B sitting on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone wanting an F1, especially with an MLR should wait until after Shot... that is my recommendation. </div></div>

could we get any more information? and when is SHOT?</div></div>

I can't until they tell me it is okay... SHOT is this month around the 17th. </div></div>

i cant find the thread now but i swear i read somewhere on here today that NF was coming out with a 2.5-10 nxs f1 model.

maybe i totally dreamed that up but i swear i read it somewhere